Help!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradlee_scott

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Okay, so I need some help. I a m making some custom figures with the art s buck bodies but I need to paint the entire body black. Any clue as to how i do this without making it look like crap? I really wanna take it apart but I haven't a clue how.

Or if any of you guys can direct me to some other 1:6 bodies that already come in black, that would be awesome as well.

Thank!
Bradlee

-Oh, and I will need it to be male and female bodies.

Okay, so I need some help. I a m making some custom figures with the art s buck bodies but I need to paint the entire body black. Any clue as to how i do this without making it look like crap? I really wanna take it apart but I haven't a clue how.

Or if any of you guys can direct me to some other 1:6 bodies that already come in black, that would be awesome as well.

Thank!
Bradlee

-Oh, and I will need it to be male and female bodies.

I think it might help if you try to explain what you are making first. Do you mean black as in Darth Maul black? Or black as in African American female? Come on spill the beans what are you making. :lol

If they are to be just plain black, I would just lay them out on newpaper, spreadeagled, and spray them flat black. Otherwise, a brown color for skintones, if you can match it with waterbased paint for heads. Best route with mass amounts.

black as in Darth Maul black. I am making some custom super heroes from a little project of mine. This will be my first all the way custom from scratch so I wanna save the reveal.

my only problem is the joints. Would I just go in and spot paint them?

I will say this about the figures. They're very mixed media. They're made with the art s buck bodies, mixed doll heads(with well styled rooted hair) and many fabric parts as well.

Unfortunately if the joints are going to be exposed on the finished figure it's going to be a problem. Any kind of movement of the joints would remove the paint.

I don't know if it would work or not, but perhaps a paint like Krylon that is supposed to molecularly bond with the plastic would work - but I don't have any experience with it.

Don't know if it will help you, but you could try a naked flame and lightly burning the plastic in the joints, then spray the rest black, so it wont be noticeable.

I think a light sanding of the body will help the paint stick. I got that last one offa Les. :D

Last edited:
Sanding definitely would help whatever paint you might use hold better, but of course you'll test it first on a small area, won't you? Some kinds of spray paint could melt or craze the plastic... which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you're making.

Thanks for all the suggestions guy, I am still mulling it over, but I think I am gonna go with the krylon and see how that works, and if it doesn't I guess I'll just go from there.

This is kinda beside the point, but you aren't really going to use a buck body for a "super hero" are you? Is he "Captain Anorexia"?

;)

Sanding works OK. But you're better off just priming the body with a dark gray. Then you will need less layers of black paint. And yes, you are better off using a Hot Toys body for a super hero.

Back