Help with removing clone trooper torso

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadman88

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi people just wondering what is the best way to remove torse armour on a clone trooper without damaging it.

Any input would be appreciated

Ah-hah! My specialty! You won't believe this, but please read.

First get the belt off.
Second have your hand wrapped around waist and squeeze the front and back firmly and then squeeze side to side till ya hear a popping sound and then it should come loose. yw!

Cheers guys i definately wouldnt have thought of that (the hand squeezing thing) and definately wouldnt have done the microwave haha. What do you guys use for applying paint e.g i want to do a 501st scheme. Ive got the white sussed but what to use for actual colour and weathering

Thanks for the help

Cheers guys i definately wouldnt have thought of that (the hand squeezing thing) and definately wouldnt have done the microwave haha. What do you guys use for applying paint e.g i want to do a 501st scheme. Ive got the white sussed but what to use for actual colour and weathering

Thanks for the help

If I we're doing it I'd paint the armor white and mask the designs on the armor. Then paint/spray paint the blue on and remove mask after dry. Then try to mix a right color that matches scratched white on the blue. Put scuff black marks on corners of armor a couple on non-corners of the armor. Then spray the whole body with a dullcoat sealer. Then add color parts to helmet and such like a gloss visor and grey/black mouth piece etc etc...

Paints.. well that's your choice.
Spider uses krylon flat white for base coat and then paints with regular acrylics. If I was doing it, I'd do the same.

get in under the armor through the arm hole or the bottom with some needle nose pliers and crack it open..usually if you get one side done, the other side is easier...lol..ive cracked open quite a few clones...lol...it just needs pressure put on the sides...more or less...

Sweet some suggestions. Hopefully by the end of this weekend i will have at least one good custom to show for my efforts.

Great thread. This has really stopped me from doing a lot further with customs. I'm too scared to break that torso open. Gotta do it sometime I guess.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help

The squeeze method works really well. If you go in with an xacto on the creases it sometimes helps a bit, too. Sometimes I break it a little but when you reglue it fits right back in and is not noticeable. Anyway you can always get a little filler in there and sand it smooth with a narrow file if you want it extra perfect.

For the paint scheme just be patient with the taping. I always tape the main pattern first and for an extra effect for a sort of "pre-weathering" i rip up some blue tape so the edges are rigid and place them in places that would be scuffed. After you apply the paint you'll notice it'll start to take shape. Then dirty it up. I usually use a dark metallic silver mixed with a light gray and a tiny dot of black(with or without water is your call) and go to work on the ditches and crevices.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Bad tape job here but just to show you an example of how i use ripped up tape.

image_zps713680c4.jpg

image_zps8839c5a0.jpg

Here's a finished dude with that method. Sorry for the long post.

image_zps2c9fe3bc.jpg

The squeeze method works really well. If you go in with an xacto on the creases it sometimes helps a bit, too. Sometimes I break it a little but when you reglue it fits right back in and is not noticeable. Anyway you can always get a little filler in there and sand it smooth with a narrow file if you want it extra perfect.

For the paint scheme just be patient with the taping. I always tape the main pattern first and for an extra effect for a sort of "pre-weathering" i rip up some blue tape so the edges are rigid and place them in places that would be scuffed. After you apply the paint you'll notice it'll start to take shape. Then dirty it up. I usually use a dark metallic silver mixed with a light gray and a tiny dot of black(with or without water is your call) and go to work on the ditches and crevices.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Bad tape job here but just to show you an example of how i use ripped up tape.

image_zps713680c4.jpg

image_zps8839c5a0.jpg

Here's a finished dude with that method. Sorry for the long post.

image_zps2c9fe3bc.jpg

I don't usually go in for troopers in black , but I really like that colour scheme . Nice work :clap

I have tried to use this method to remove the clone armor but it is very hard to crack it open and I am scared to use a screwdriver since I might break it. Are there any tips or any more advices on how to do this? Also how can the hip armor be removed?
Thank you

Back