Help with customizing 12" Willow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skytteflickan88

Super Freak
Reaction score
Now that I have a wonderful Willow head curtesy of Binky, I plan on making my first 12" custom(let's forget about a half-finished vamp Willow project in clay currently collecting dust on my shelf) with "real" fabric clothes and accessoaries. No clay.

So any advice would be nice.

Where can I get a ss buck body(I assume ss stands for sideshow), that Binky mentioned fit the head she made? And know of any good online stores where I can buy clothes and such in the right scale?

I don't have much hope of making a Willow that has the same outfit as in the episodes, but maybe a witchy looking Willow. I just need it to look Willow-y. So magic accessoaries, or vampire slayer accessoaries would be great, which I think I can get from the other figures.

Try eBay. Thats where I get nearly all my stuff. That or online stores such as Toy Anxiety, who stock lose figures and parts.

Making a custom of a character that has a specific look is always going to be much harder. With Trevor's FF sculpts, a lot of my clothes (pretty much every piece) is all tailor made for each character. Random boots/shoes and maybe a pair of pants is all that I was able to get that wasn't tailored.

Have you thought about buying the older 12" that ssc did and swapping heads?

I'm also horrible at tailoring tiny clothes, so I'm in the same boat of having to scavenge whatever I can since I'd never be able to make them myself.

I pre-drilled for the Sideshow Buck body because they’re easy to find and cheap, especially since Hot Toys came along and devalued all the other figures on the market. You can still get a lot of Buffy box sets for less than $20. Unfortunately, the Buck has not evolved much in the years it’s been out, but that’s the market at work. The necks are skinny, the hands are small. The demand’s not there yet for a better body in volume. Those who do need better articulated and scaled bodies have Hot Toys and some of the other niche manufacturers, but they cost right now, and most tend to be over-endowed in the chest area.

I don’t know how helpful this is to you in Europe, but from my experience, for clothes, there are a few old school options:

Adventure-Gear.com, which are normal mufti out-doors clothes (think GI Joe).

Triad Toys continues the CY Girl tradition of spy/assassin fashion models/Goths. Trendy wear, but they have some pieces worth looking at.

Goodstufftogo.net. These guys are good people. They carry many of the Chinese stuff like TTL that are starting to cater to those of us who mod female figures, and they part out sets, so sometimes carry unique items for fair prices.

Monkey Depot is the same, but the selection is not as good.

And of course, there is still the pink aisle though a lot of if it is unusable due to Barbie being grossly proportioned. But some of the Ken outfits will fit fine.

Good luck to us all!

Thanks for the advice on the stores, Binky.

@BuffyGirl I was planning on doing that, swapping out the bodies from time to time, but the Willow outfits sideshow gave us was a bit dull(I own both). So I guess I just have to continue looking.

Does ordering tailor clothes cost a lot? Could I get lucky and find someone here on sideshow who might custom-make something for me?

It depends where you look. I once ordered something off etsy and it was just done incorrectly. You need to find someone that specializes in the bodies you are looking for.

I ordered some clothes for my Mal and they are perfect. Because the tailor knew what he was doing. I don't think the cost was too high at all, especially for the quality. I think pants/suspenders and jacket were a total of around $55. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

I would post in the customs thread, and just ask. You could get lucky.

I am going to use this TTL coveralls set:

GITTL-68034.jpeg

It is cute, has an appropriate late 90's feel (I wore things like that anyway) and seem like something Willow would actually wear (unlike a certain statue :nana:). Plus is something close to what Tara did wear, so if we ever get a sculpt of her you would be set (wink, wink, nudge, nudge binky).

Edit: I will make something for Dark Willow that is custom made and reasonably screen accurate. I started offering a few pieces recently, but I need to charge very strictly by the time it takes.

Last edited:
I am going to use this TTL coveralls set:

GITTL-68034.jpeg

It is cute, has an appropriate late 90's feel (I wore things like that anyway) and seem like something Willow would actually wear (unlike a certain statue :nana:). Plus is something close to what Tara did wear, so if we ever get a sculpt of her you would be set (wink, wink, nudge, nudge binky).

Edit: I will make something for Dark Willow that is custom made and reasonably screen accurate. I started offering a few pieces recently, but I need to charge very strictly by the time it takes.

I love it! Great job. That is definitely Willow.

Wow, that is spot on for Willow, SP. Nice.

Sorry for the lack of updates on my end. I have three heads on the active rotation now, all Buffy women. The one furthest along is a Dark Willow draft that just needs to be painted to see if further tweaking is needed. I've been looking for time to do that, hopefully this weekend before going on a road trip to DC Sunday. If it's good enough to go forward, I will likely be in for an outfit from you.

Back