Hellboy II Samaritan 1:1 prop replica

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine from worldwar2-militaria on ebay (https://myworld.ebay.com/worldwar2-militaria/) They make everything custom in Singapore and my hat took about 2 1/2 months, but for a total of $90 it can't be beaten. The correct size to order is 64.

HPIM00491-1.jpg

thanks for the info :rock

I do not think it is die-cast metal, although it is metal. I am not sure what material they used for this.

I unscrewed the cylinder from mine to tighten it up and fix the slight wobble on the shaft. Material looks like aluminum to me. Die casting is a process, not a specific type of metal, so it could be a die cast aluminum alloy, but there are other (cheaper) methods to produce similar casting (making dies = $$$)

I know SSC has these up for 2nd Chance but does anyone know if they would still do a FlexPay?

How'd you get yours unscrewed? My screw won't budge.

I used the right size screwdriver (don't want to use one too small lest it strip the head) and just worked the screw back and forth a bit, tightening and loosening until it freed up.

Takes a fair bit of force. If you're not mechanically inclined I'd prolly skip it. It could end up in a snapped screw if you don't have the "feel" for it.

I used the right size screwdriver (don't want to use one too small lest it strip the head) and just worked the screw back and forth a bit, tightening and loosening until it freed up.

How did you fix the wobble itself? Just add some material on top of the existing washer?

#500 in the house!

I'm kinda pissed about the orange cap ordeal (toy gun) BS. I'm fairly sure the 1st edition didn't have that mess. WTF mang!!! :banghead

By the looks of things, maybe the damn cap pulls right out? :huh

What "orange cap ordeal"?

Mine came with no cap. Are you looking ar eBay auctions? Sellers there may have added one for photos to deal with eBays crazy "guns" paranoia.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you fix the wobble itself? Just add some material on top of the existing washer?

#500 in the house!

Wobble was dealt with by applying a piece of electrical shrink tubing to the shaft of the screw, just cut long enough to cover the shaft from the head end to where the threads start, use a heat gun to shrink it tight and reassemble. The added thickness tightens up the play in the cylinder assembly nicely. Cylinder now spins easily, without the wobble, but not so easily that it rotates on it's own.

And great number, congrats.

Yes, there's no orange cap. Thank goodness. Wouldn't have gotten mine if it had one. Looks-wise, this is a piece that really does keep on impressing. Great centerpiece for a collection. The major complaint persists though: the black paint, or "stain". Handling the Samaritan, even simply making contact or opening the cylinder, inevitably causes minor flakes or tiny chips to come off. Shouldn't be the case for such an expensive item. All moving parts cause minute amounts of black to peel off. Maybe it will stop once the points of contact have become free of their coating, but there are also slight cracks in the paint in certain sections.

The major complaint persists though: the black paint, or "stain". Handling the Samaritan, even simply making contact or opening the cylinder, inevitably causes minor flakes or tiny chips to come off. Shouldn't be the case for such an expensive item. All moving parts cause minute amounts of black to peel off. Maybe it will stop once the points of contact have become free of their coating, but there are also slight cracks in the paint in certain sections.

Wow, that really kind of ruins it for me. A prop like this should be able to withstand some handling without flaking all over the place.

Wow, that really kind of ruins it for me. A prop like this should be able to withstand some handling without flaking all over the place.

Yes, it's definitely been my one greatest concern. This is one area I truly wish they had invested more attention insuring against. It is the only thing that I believe cheapens the overall look and feel of the Samaritan. But, that said, I still love this piece. It just looks great wherever it's placed.

Back