HELLBOY 3: Three years away...maybe longer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Hellboy 3, Three Years Out
Hellboy 3 is on hold for the time being. According to MTV that sat down with Guillermo Del Toro they do have a time table for the film but no one is "in a big hurry."

“We’re three, four years away from anything happening—so I don’t think anyone is, you know, in a big hurry,” he revealed in an exclusive interview with MTV News.
Even so, Del Toro has given his blessing for another director to take the director’s chair for a potential “B.P.R.D.” spinoff while he is occupied elsewhere. Following up Peter Jackson’s “LOTR” trilogy is, after all, no small undertaking. The Mexican-born director has a parade of production credits lined up as well, including Stephen King’s “Bag of Bones” and “Mother and Child” starring Naomi Watts.

With “Hellboy II” floating around now on DVD and Blu-Ray and the “B.P.R.D.” spinoff prospect dangling, there’s definitely fertile ground for something to happen with Hellboy while Del Toro is away. He has established himself as the go-to guy for the film franchise’s look, though, so a happy reunion with Universal and Dark Horse Comics in three or four years sounds like a solid bet.

I loved HBII personally, although I haven't heard anything about the B.P.R.D spin off anyone know who it plans to focus on?

I liked Hellboy, HB II was ok, and I would be all for a third Hellboy movie.Don't know about a spin off movie though. Who would the spin off be about?

Unfortunately this was the fate of Hellboy 3 the minute GDT signed on to The Hobbit. Oh, well. All good things....

I liked HB2 better then the first. I had low expectations but I was surprised. Can't wait for the third. I also been reading the comics, and I bought the animated DVD's, haven't checked them out yet.

hey NASEDO, are you getting the P.F. of Hellboy? (new one)

I quite enjoyed Hellboy I & II, even though the end to II wasn't up to my liking. It's not a movie that I'm waiting in line for, but it will be decent.

I'd rather wait 3 or more years for a Del Toro HB3 than it getting handed over to another director.

HB 2 was a big let down to me in the same way of highlander sequels. If they do make HB3 I hope they (Del Toro, mignola & Co) take the time to make a good movie, not just a visually interesting one.

Ouch, comparing HBII to Highlander sequels is just cruel :lol

Seems there is a 50/50 split on HBII... but I liked it so I'm looking forward to a sequel.

HB 2 was a big let down to me in the same way of highlander sequels. If they do make HB3 I hope they (Del Toro, mignola & Co) take the time to make a good movie, not just a visually interesting one.

I absolutely respect your opinion but the fact is they really took their time and poured everything they had into HB2 to realize what they want the film Hellboy to be. If you didn't like that you probably won't like anywhere the series goes from here. There are some pretty big themes in there about family, fate, loyalty and love that are the heart of the story. It's definitely visually interesting but IMO it goes way beyond that.
But again - you're opinion is as valid as mine, and I hope if they get to part 3 you do enjoy it, I just wouldn't expect a huge departure from the tone of part 2.

I loved HBII personally, although I haven't heard anything about the B.P.R.D spin off anyone know who it plans to focus on?

Agreed. I loved HBII. It's a shame another film is so far off, though I'm curious where they would go with it in relation to the past two movies.

I absolutely respect your opinion but the fact is they really took their time and poured everything they had into HB2 to realize what they want the film Hellboy to be. If you didn't like that you probably won't like anywhere the series goes from here. There are some pretty big themes in there about family, fate, loyalty and love that are the heart of the story. It's definitely visually interesting but IMO it goes way beyond that.
But again - you're opinion is as valid as mine, and I hope if they get to part 3 you do enjoy it, I just wouldn't expect a huge departure from the tone of part 2.

I think that might be what the problem was for me. Just too much crammed into a movie that just become distracting. Its very much like they (the creators) just green lights every idea and shot everything and because it is so personal and dear to them they couldn't cut things out that just didn't work in the big picture. I know comparing HB2 to highlander sequel is a bit harsh but that's because I really liked HB1 like i did with highlander 1. I just had too much expectation.

I know comparing HB2 to highlander sequel is a bit harsh but that's because I really liked HB1 like i did with highlander 1. I just had too much expectation.

You are forgiven... and maybe with time you will like HBII better. I know if I have high expecations sometimes the first viewing of a flick is bad, but if I later re-watch it I enjoy it more.

I wasn't a big fan of HB when it first came out, but with time it really, really grew on me.

Back