HD TV advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCJ99

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy folks,
So I'm considering to purchase a 32"-37" HD tv (with 1080p resolution) I've always wanted one but never really justified spending the money since I'm a student on a budget, but one of my classes actually requires us to watch movies weekly (which is amazing) and I've raised a little cash recently. So I am going to be doing the apple tv with Netflix option, and I wanted some suggestions from you guys (since I know there are some home entertainment/bargain gurus here)

-Which brands would you recommend and avoid?
-Where is the best place to get it the cheapest?!

Thanks guys :wave

How much do you want to spend? 32" LCDs are probably around $350-$400 right now. Best Buy or Ultimate Electronics are probably the best places. Also try Target. Now and then they have an older model on clearance.

The best values are usually around the 42" or bigger range...where they toss in free dvd players and stuff. If you can spare $1000 I'd look at those.

if you can't afford that right now, i'd probably stick with whatever you are currently using until you can. Prices only go down anyway. In 6 months the $1000 tvs will be $800 anyway.

Also, the deals will get cheaper the closer to Christmas we get. Lots of deals on black friday for tvs.

If you go with a 32" screen I don't think 1080p is necessary. 720p is still pretty good on that size screen and it will be much less expensive. If you do go 37" or bigger, 1080p does become important. Also, if you are going to be streaming netflix rather than watching blurays you probably wouldn't be watching 1080p source material anyway.

This is slightly out of your range, but keep an eye on it. It may hit the $500 mark in the next 6 months or so.
https://www.ultimateelectronics.com/product.php?id=PANTCP42S2

Great article. I just bought my 50" last year and its already like $400 cheaper for the same model.

I'm going to wait another 2 years and I bet 3D tvs will be like $800 for a 50".

The fact that you can get a 42" tv for the price of 3 or 4 12" figures is mindboggling.

How much do you want to spend? 32" LCDs are probably around $350-$400 right now. Best Buy or Ultimate Electronics are probably the best places. Also try Target. Now and then they have an older model on clearance.

Is Ultimate Electronics a small chain? I'd never seen one until I moved to CO, and just noticed you mentioning it.

I've never heard of that either.

I just checked their store list... they have a good amount of stores, even some in NY (where I moved from) but they're all upstate.

So I ended up going to Target and picking this up with a wall mount...

https://www.target.com/VIZIO-Class-...olution-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

I'm playing blue rays on my PS3, and so far it looks pretty good. Of course nothing ever looks as good and crisp as in the store! :lol

But quick question, does the quality of the HDMI cable really make a noticeable difference in the picture quality? I'm using an HDMI cable from a XBOX 360 right now from my PS3 to the new TV.

https://www.target.com/VIZIO-Class-...olution-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

I'm playing blue rays on my PS3, and so far it looks pretty good. Of course nothing ever looks as good and crisp as in the store! :lol

But quick question, does the quality of the HDMI cable really make a noticeable difference in the picture quality? I'm using an HDMI cable from a XBOX 360 right now from my PS3 to the new TV.

An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable pretty much, as long as you are using one you have the best cable for picture/sound.

I hope you were kidding that TV's at the store look better. Spend some time and calibrate it for your environment with either a calibration DVD/Blu Ray or any DVD that has the THX calibration on it like any of the Star Wars disks.

I hope you were kidding that TV's at the store look better. Spend some time and calibrate it for your environment with either a calibration DVD/Blu Ray or any DVD that has the THX calibration on it like any of the Star Wars disks.

Well, I'm sure you can adjust the setting to make the TV look even better at home, but whenever I've gone to a Best Buy the clarity looks pretty dang nice (of course they're displaying a $5000 TV, but it still looks good)

Well I'm brand new to HDTVs :eek: So I'm not familiar with this yet. I didn't even know they had this "calibration" DVD. Right now I'm just playing Blue Rays off my PS3, and watching movies from my iTunes library (mini display port to HDMI adapter). On a side note, even though my iTunes movies aren't 1080p quality movies, I tried resetting the screen on my Macbook Pro to 1080p when connected to my TV, but it will not display anything when I change the setting to 1080p, it will only play when in 1080i mode..... :dunno

Anyhow, thanks for the calibration suggestion. I had no idea, and I'll look into that. I believe the main menu on the TV had a calibration setting, but I don't have any idea what I'm doing :eek:

Back