Half the fun of collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riceroket

Super Freak
Reaction score
Am I just weird or is half the fun of collecting finding/anticipating the next figure that you want? I love searching for the next figure to add to my collection and then researching it, watching Youtube video reviews, etc. Once I manage to track it down and buy it the excitement is checking the tracker as it comes in the mail. Once I get the figure I love opening it, getting the right pose and then displaying it in one of my detolfs. Once that's done it's on to the next one... :lol

Some of the Hot Toys figures are perfect out of the box so I ended up having the same experience: they go into the detolf and I don't pay much attention to them. That's why I really love customizing figures. There are figures I've been tweaking and upgrading for years that are nowhere near the level of the Hot Toys figures but I get much more joy out of them given all the time and thought that went into them.

Am I just weird or is half the fun of collecting finding/anticipating the next figure that you want? I love searching for the next figure to add to my collection and then researching it, watching Youtube video reviews, etc. Once I manage to track it down and buy it the excitement is checking the tracker as it comes in the mail. Once I get the figure I love opening it, getting the right pose and then displaying it in one of my detolfs. Once that's done it's on to the next one... :lol

I don't think its weird, I enjoy tracking, researching etc all my purchases, it's all part of the hobby. It's even better when you find them for a decent price.

I think it's the same with anything people collect. Always looking out for the new set, or new figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You basically summarized the addiction in the collection world - it's not the piece, or better not completely. It's what you get that piece that make the drug that is Collecting

Some of the Hot Toys figures are perfect out of the box so I ended up having the same experience: they go into the detolf and I don't pay much attention to them. That's why I really love customizing figures. There are figures I've been tweaking and upgrading for years that are nowhere near the level of the Hot Toys figures but I get much more joy out of them given all the time and thought that went into them.
This [emoji121] [emoji310]

I don't think its weird, I enjoy tracking, researching etc all my purchases, it's all part of the hobby. It's even better when you find them for a decent price.

This and then looking at your spreadsheet that tracks everything haha. I never feel like I have that many pieces but my spreadsheet always makes it seem so much larger!

Im in the minority on this now. I used to feel differently but for now, i cant wait until im out of this. When i can say i have every figure i want. For example, theyve done every version of the terminator i want. There are no more to buy. Another example- i have black spidey and red spidey (and theyre not going to make the scarlet spider). So im done with spiderman. Think of what else you can do with your money once this is over. dont get me wrong, i love new releases and new lines, but im looking at the end game.

Im in the minority on this now. I used to feel differently but for now, i cant wait until im out of this. When i can say i have every figure i want. For example, theyve done every version of the terminator i want. There are no more to buy. Another example- i have black spidey and red spidey (and theyre not going to make the scarlet spider). So im done with spiderman. Think of what else you can do with your money once this is over. dont get me wrong, i love new releases and new lines, but im looking at the end game.

I think the core-cast of Star Wars will be it for me. Then I can put together a couple of quick customs/bashes and concentrate on the display. There are only a handful of characters that I couldn't resist if brought out as licensed (ie affordable) sets - but chances are those will never happen.

I'll always be collecting something though - I have The Simpsons lego set, and that line might go on for a while.

This and then looking at your spreadsheet that tracks everything haha. I never feel like I have that many pieces but my spreadsheet always makes it seem so much larger!

:lol :exactly:

I'll always be collecting something though - I have The Simpsons lego set, and that line might go on for a while.

Me too, come to think of it I've always had some sort of collection on the go, even from a very young age.

Thankfully, I only collect 1/6 and eaglemoss figurines. The other issue is space. At some point you've got so much crap you don't have anywhere to put it, much less display it. But to the op's point, I check the boards everyday looking for the latest release. And there's a magic moment when HT shows pics on a figure that no one was even talking about. Like when they dropped the pics of John Matrix- that was cool. Totally out of the blue.

I'm right there with you. I have the tauntaun on flex pay and the Hoth Luke ordered as well as the SS Threepio. After that, well, my room is full... it is sort of liberating that I don't see anything on the horizon that I MUST have.

I think this is half the fun of collecting. I don't want it to feel the same as going to the grocery (which I hate). My wife thinks I'm crazy when I research a new figure, but I think it's just part of the hobby that keeps me hooked.

This I get; for me there has always been an end-game in mind and I'm close to it: but I do enjoy the hunt ... I'll also enjoy that settled feeling of completing my wants list, but they're two very different things to me.

"Collecting" to me, is by definition the active part of this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm right there with you. I have the tauntaun on flex pay and the Hoth Luke ordered as well as the SS Threepio. After that, well, my room is full... it is sort of liberating that I don't see anything on the horizon that I MUST have.[/QUOTE]

I always think that I'll be done and then something new comes out that I have to have. I was never going to get in to the Nolanverse Batman, but the armory was just so sweet that I had to get it. Opening that can of worms, now I want to complete the series, I've got my hands on mms67, two-face, scarecrow, and am looking to pick up DX11, Bane and Catwoman...such a slippery slope!! :lol

Back