Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The interesting thing is that the costuming is different on every concept. Abin's has shoulder pads, while Tomar's looks to be built in plates, Sinestros looks more symbiotic and Kilowogs looks as classic as I expected something more like First Flight. I wonder if the artists are pitching various concepts of the costumes of if they'll individualize the costumes for every character.

If they are going by current comic mythos each character should have a different costume IMO. The suits are constructs of the ring, which is a reflection of each individual's will/personality. I really like that Sinestro's looks "symbiotic". Just kinda makes sense that his costume would be in perfect symbiosis with his will.

From Geoff Johns' Twitter

GeoffJohns0 said:
Back from an amazing trip to Green Lantern town a.k.a. New Orleans!! Ryan IS Hal. And Mark Strong is going to be a brilliant Sinestro.
GeoffJohns0 said:
Kilowog, the Guardians, Oa...all breathtaking. The age of Green Lantern is upon us!

Looks like the lack of public info doesn't equate to lack of movement. I'm dying to see the production art that Johns has seen!!

From Geoff Johns' Twitter

Looks like the lack of public info doesn't equate to lack of movement. I'm dying to see the production art that Johns has seen!!

If Geoff Johns says its good...it must be good! That is assuming, of course, that DC didnt give him a few grand to plug thier undertaking knowing fans like myself would buy into Johns opinion.

Johns says "Ryan is Hal Jordan". I say "Johns IS Green Lantern!

Huh, I was just in "Green Lantern town" yesterday. Didn't feel like Green Lantern town, though. Probably the lack of Green Lanterns. And the fact that it is a city.

Huh, I was just in "Green Lantern town" yesterday. Didn't feel like Green Lantern town, though. Probably the lack of Green Lanterns. And the fact that it is a city.

Yeah, not to be a jerk...but if New Orleans IS "Green Lantern Town"...the lanterns sure dropped the ball a few years back huh? :monkey1

Seriously though, Im pretty sure that Johns is confirming that New Orleans will be Hal Jordan's "Coast City".

I'm really liking Sinestro's look as well. Nobody can quite make the argument that this guy shouldn't look the part of stereotypical villain. With the Snidely Whiplash mustache and a name like "Sinestro" it doesn't get much more ostensibly, stereotypically, storybook evil. What's nice about his character, though, is that there's actual substance and depth; in Sinestro's mind he's been branded a villain by those who are weak, feckless, ultimately flaccid persons incapable of doing what must be done. To Sinestro, he is unquestionably an individual of the most intrepid and selfless character; he's willing to be hated in order to achieve the order the universe so greatly needs. The timeless hallmark of most great villains - he doesn't consider what he's doing to be wrong at all. The end justifies the means, and all that. He looks sinister, he is arguably GL's greatest foe, but there's a lot more to him than just his name and his appearance...

... which is exactly why I'm glad we'll have an actor capable of portraying that in Mark Strong. Geoff Johns said in one of his Tweets today that he's going "to be a brilliant Sinestro". Also that "Ryan IS Hal", and "Kilowog, the Guardians, Oa…all breathtaking. The age of GREEN LANTERN is upon us!!".

Very reassuring words. Especially since I, like many others I'm sure, have been in the "Ryan Reynolds should be quietly exsanguinated so that he can't even be considered for the role of Hal Jordan" camp. Not because I think he'd be a poor Hal, but because I just don't much care for him as a person what with him being a relentlessly petulant whiner and all. I'm willing to bite my tongue if the movie turns out to be all I'm hoping it to be.

But Sinestro needs to be a believable good guy first for his turn to the "dark side" to have more meaning to it. Yeah, he IS trying to do good things in the end, but through the wrong means. Like you said, the ends justify the means. But he shouldn't look like the GL you pick out of the crowd to be the one that goes rouge. Remember, he was the greatest GL before Hal showed up and ruined things for him. So I think ditching the long hair and goatee and sticking to his shorter hair and mustache would be better. Its one thing if the character has adopted that in the comics over time, like Stark's goatee instead of his classic mustache, but Sinestro hasn't so the film's version shouldn't either.

But Sinestro needs to be a believable good guy first for his turn to the "dark side" to have more meaning to it. Yeah, he IS trying to do good things in the end, but through the wrong means. Like you said, the ends justify the means. But he shouldn't look like the GL you pick out of the crowd to be the one that goes rouge. Remember, he was the greatest GL before Hal showed up and ruined things for him. So I think ditching the long hair and goatee and sticking to his shorter hair and mustache would be better. Its one thing if the character has adopted that in the comics over time, like Stark's goatee instead of his classic mustache, but Sinestro hasn't so the film's version shouldn't either.

Also why I'm glad in recent renditions that Sinestro is depicted as being extremely physically fit instead of just lanky, cackling, and twirling his mustache. He has to look the part of the GL's paragon of law enforcement. That said, he has to look intimidating, and that alone could physically set him apart as villain, never mind the name. If he has a goatee instead of a mustache and longer hair instead of short, it isn't going to make me break out in a sweat. He was the greatest GL for maintaining far and away the most orderly sector, and most often his tactics included intimidation and surely methods which the Guardians would have considered brutal. What always made him great was what he achieved, but the damage was already vast by the time anyone looked at the way he went about achieving it.

If he looks intimidating, is recognizable as a version of Sinestro, and Mark Strong does the stellar job which nobody doubts he will, then I'm a happy camper. :D

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Tell me Robbert Knepper wouldn't have made a great Sintestro!

sinestro.jpg

I mean dang! He even has the large forehead. Just make the mustache a little thinner and it is practically spot on Sinestro!

But Sinestro needs to be a believable good guy first for his turn to the "dark side" to have more meaning to it. Yeah, he IS trying to do good things in the end, but through the wrong means. Like you said, the ends justify the means. But he shouldn't look like the GL you pick out of the crowd to be the one that goes rouge. Remember, he was the greatest GL before Hal showed up and ruined things for him.

This is absolutely WRONG! Sinestro believes in order. He believes in justice as the final step. His desire for order led him to be considered one of the greatest Green Lanterns because he was zealous in keeping it. His sector was one of the safest ones in all galaxies. As the years passed, he became more and more fixated upon not simply protecting his sector, but on preserving order in the society of his home planet no matter the cost. Eventually he concluded that the best way to accomplish this was to conquer Korugar, and to rule the planet as a dictator. He ruled with an iron fist and the Guardians never questioned him because they trusted him without question. It was the training of Hal Jordan that got him exposed, that showed the Guardians what Sinestro had become and therefore got him expelled. Hal didn't ruin things, he exposed him to the Guardians who ruined things. Hal had nothing to do with it. The Guardians even told Sinestro directly because he was using the power of the Green Lantern to instill fear rather than combat it, they banished him to the antimatter universe where he ended up on Qward, that universe's counterpart of the Guardians' homeworld Oa.

Sinestro isn't Anakin Skywalker he walked down the wrong path. He isn't a fallen hero. He is a stone-cold dictator, a man who believes in justice by any means including lethal force and his adventures with Hal showed the side he hid from the Guardians and got him expelled. Even with the yellow ring he wasn't a villain but more of an anti-hero, willing to get involved with villainous acts to take down Jordan who he blamed for his downfall and embarrassment but on his own he was more interested in protecting Korugar and his sector even though GLs were still being assigned to it. He was never a good guy, not likable, he was efficient, did what needed to be done in a no-nonsense styling. If you look at the Guardian he was perfect fit because they are emotionless.

Last edited:
News....:D

Test Shooting Has Begun for Green Lantern
Source:NOLA.com March 3, 2010

NOLA.com is reporting that Warner Bros. Pictures has started test shooting for director Martin Campbell's Green Lantern today in Madisonville, which is on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain compared to New Orleans:

A section of Lake Road in Madisonville will be closed intermittently on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to noon, as a film crew prepares to shoot scenes for a movie.

Although filming for "Green Lantern" has not yet begun, crews from Warner Brothers will be on location to run tests with a stunt car, according to Bill Doyle, supervising location manager.

The closure will be in the vicinity of the high bridge on Lake Road between Louisiana 22 and Lake Pontchartrain, according to news release from the state highway department.

Coming to theaters on June 17, 2011, Green Lantern stars Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard, Tim Robbins and Mark Strong.

More News. :D

Green Lantern Coming to Theaters in 3D
Source:Warner Bros. Pictures March 4, 2010

Warner Bros. Pictures confirmed today that the Martin Campbell-directed Green Lanter will be coming to theaters in 3D on June 17, 2011.

Written by Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green, the action-adventure stars Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard, Tim Robbins and Mark Strong

3-D???? NOOOOOOOOO! Buying into the newest fad because of Avatar....AHHHHHHHH :banghead:banghead

Did you see Avatar? When 3D is done right it is awesome. I'm looking forward to Clash of the Titans 3D, just for the spectacle of it all.

Did you see Avatar? When 3D is done right it is awesome. I'm looking forward to Clash of the Titans 3D, just for the spectacle of it all.

3-D was a crutch for Avatar, it would've been crap without it (imo, of course). I think the studios are betting on people seeing a lot of 3-D movies "just for the spectacle of it all", which gives them less pressure to tell a decent story.

I don't like where this 3-D fad is taking us at all.

3-D was a crutch for Avatar, it would've been crap without it (imo, of course). I think the studios are betting on people seeing a lot of 3-D movies "just for the spectacle of it all", which gives them less pressure to tell a decent story.

I don't like where this 3-D fad is taking us at all.

It's a smart move for now. With the increasing prices of ticket sales, people would rather stay home and watch movies on their home theater systems. They can't watch 3D at home yet, so it's an incentive to get people in the seats. Is is a fad? Most likely.

It's a smart move for now. With the increasing prices of ticket sales, people would rather stay home and watch movies on their home theater systems. They can't watch 3D at home yet, so it's an incentive to get people in the seats. Is is a fad? Most likely.

3-D is a lazy move to make revenue. As I said, with Avatars 3-D success, every movie ever released will be in 3-D for the next 10 years. I would much rather watch a movie in good old 2-D until the day they can project the fils directly into my brain. 3-D usually leads to silly attempts to "throw" something at the audience.

Back