Godzilla Minus One - December 1, 2023

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda sad how Barbie is even considered Oscar worthy. I mean it's a well made movie for sure but nothing in that film screamed Oscar worthy to me but this film actually did and deals with heavier subjects then Barbie. I mean I don't know does that make me sexist to say that? lol But anyway I think it wasn't nominated alot becuase I mean it is Godzilla and given the rep he has had over the years as like giant monster smash and childhood hero I guess you can expect that. Not many people know about the back story and history.

1706624261982.png

The CGI was far from shoddy in this. There were just some moments that stood out a bit more to me, like the CG waves and foam surrounding Godzilla as he chases the small boat for example. And it could also be that it's just harder to blend him into the world as well without the surrounding color and blue sky to work with.
My bad.. I meant since Shoddy cgi look better in B&W that really good CGI would look amazing

Here is my minus color review.

Absolutely masterpiece should’ve been released this way from the beginning.

Literally the only single item that looked better in color was his piercing eyes while chasing the boat but that’s it because more importantly the overall Godzilla creature was 100% more frightening with no color and even more MORE importantly the character drama and emotions for some weird psychological reason hit harder in black-and-white.

This movie holds up perfectly even on my 3rd viewing scratch that it actually improved!

I would say that the only odd thing that stuck out for me was that when he walked into Noriko’s room in the hospital she doesn’t call out to the little girl and neither of the 2 include the little girl in their emotional hug lol

Masterpiece I can’t believe this is a freaking Godzilla movie.

It should have been nominated for best foreign film!

Idiots!

The score is also captivating.
Going tonight :rock

Ok saw Minus Color last night.

1st - I seriously can’t get over what a perfect 1st hour this movie has. It’s emotional beats and pacing is perfect.

2nd - the Godzilla boat chase and warship attack is one of the greatest scenes in motion picture history

3rd - I prefer color. B&W is fine but I missed those blues of the ocean.

I really wish that the trimmed something out of the span between the first land attack and the final. The film just really drags during this time. I am 100% sure this is due to the fact that the lead actress disappears from the film and the story I was most invested in disappeared with her.

Instead of the family dynamic of war survival and dealing with PTSD we get a long scene of scientific gibberish about killing Godzilla, a semi long scene about finding a plan, a long scene about finding a mechanic for the plane, and a long scene about the night before Godzilla attacks.

I get there are a lot of character moments in those scenes and that some of them are important to the overall story.., it’s just, for me, the film comes to a grinding halt. First time viewing is fine but 2nd and 3rd not so much.

I also wish the director would have either a. Killed off the main actress for real as all emotion of that scene is kinda ruined now or b. Let her come back without any mystery black radiation (or whatever). Sure we may be getting a sequel now but at first this was to be a one off… what the hell kind of ending is that :lol

Still a great film and the best Godzilla film for sure.

Never would have guessed I would see a new Japanese Godzilla film 3 times in the theaters.

Ok saw Minus Color last night.

1st - I seriously can’t get over what a perfect 1st hour this movie has. It’s emotional beats and pacing is perfect.

2nd - the Godzilla boat chase and warship attack is one of the greatest scenes in motion picture history

3rd - I prefer color. B&W is fine but I missed those blues of the ocean.

I really wish that the trimmed something out of the span between the first land attack and the final. The film just really drags during this time. I am 100% sure this is due to the fact that the lead actress disappears from the film and the story I was most invested in disappeared with her.

Instead of the family dynamic of war survival and dealing with PTSD we get a long scene of scientific gibberish about killing Godzilla, a semi long scene about finding a plan, a long scene about finding a mechanic for the plane, and a long scene about the night before Godzilla attacks.

I get there are a lot of character moments in those scenes and that some of them are important to the overall story.., it’s just, for me, the film comes to a grinding halt. First time viewing is fine but 2nd and 3rd not so much.

I also wish the director would have either a. Killed off the main actress for real as all emotion of that scene is kinda ruined now or b. Let her come back without any mystery black radiation (or whatever). Sure we may be getting a sequel now but at first this was to be a one off… what the hell kind of ending is that :lol

Still a great film and the best Godzilla film for sure.

Never would have guessed I would see a new Japanese Godzilla film 3 times in the theaters.
The ending is something I would normally find kind of grating, but with how heavy the whole movie is, without needing to maintain that as the original Gojira did, I think it is honestly fine. The radiation or whatever the heck was happening in Noriko's neck turns a sweet to bittersweet, and tonally fits given how insane it would be for her to survive in the first place.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
I’m still riding the excitement of this movie, it hasn’t faded, this was one of the best movies and experiences of my life.

Whenever a new entry in an ongoing series comes, I know for me, and probably many of you, there is a wish for it to capture something you love from previous entires that you hope to capture again, and usually they fail to come through, but this movie came through beyond expectation.

I thoroughly enjoy the MonsterVerse take on Godzilla and what they do with it, but, my most favorite Godzilla depiction is the kind we got in Gojira, 1984, even Biollante. I have yearned for someone to make a movie featuring that kind of Godzilla since 1998. Shin as a movie had a serious tone, but Godzilla lacked personality and the movie lacker emotion.

Minus One is a movie I’ve dreamt of and didn’t think would happen, and thankfully features a Godzilla design I absolutely love. The story is great, the acting is phenomenal, the action is perfect, and the music is amazing, I’ve listened to it so many times.

I’m still riding the excitement of this movie, it hasn’t faded, this was one of the best movies and experiences of my life.

Whenever a new entry in an ongoing series comes, I know for me, and probably many of you, there is a wish for it to capture something you love from previous entires that you hope to capture again, and usually they fail to come through, but this movie came through beyond expectation.

I thoroughly enjoy the MonsterVerse take on Godzilla and what they do with it, but, my most favorite Godzilla depiction is the kind we got in Gojira, 1984, even Biollante. I have yearned for someone to make a movie featuring that kind of Godzilla since 1998. Shin as a movie had a serious tone, but Godzilla lacked personality and the movie lacker emotion.

Minus One is a movie I’ve dreamt of and didn’t think would happen, and thankfully features a Godzilla design I absolutely love. The story is great, the acting is phenomenal, the action is perfect, and the music is amazing, I’ve listened to it so many times.
GMK?

Shin was a royal pita to keep up with the subtitles lol

“Godzilla 1.0 Resolution” is an amazing song from the soundtrack.

Not the only good song either.

This is a Godzilla movie, right lol

Last edited:
Back