Gloss Lacquer Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tworiverz

Super Freak
Reaction score
Guys need some help, really getting sucked off with my final coat lacquer

Using mainly Revell Acrylic paints and Humbrol Acrylic Gloss varnish for white Armour.

Problem is every time I put a coat of varnish on , its drying matt or satin and not Gloss

The Revell paint is being left a few days to cure but doesn't make any difference.

Can any of you suggest a different Varnish to use that would produce better Gloss results ?

Cheers Guys

I use Tamiya clear gloss spray. It's a bit expensive but it dries a gloss finish and is supposed to keep white paint from turning yellow, or so I've been told by the guy at the hobby shop who recommended it.

The few times I've used a gloss/high gloss finish I used a brush on acrylic by Model Masters. Just water it down a bit and it goes on smooth with no brush strokes. But like I say I don't use gloss all that much. I'm more of a flat matte finish guy.

I've never heard the phrase "sucked off" used that way before. Interesting. If i want something really super glossy I go with ModelMasters' GlossCote from Testors. Otherwise I use 'Ardcoat from Citadel.

I've used the model masters clear acrylic but found it dries milky which may not be a big deal over a white base. Now I just use duplicolor spray can of clear acrylic laquer. Dries clear and is quite hard. One can goes a long way.

I tend to use citadel paints with Tamiya's semi gloss or flat(they might do a gloss as well) ,but for gloss I would use citadels Gloss varnish or 'ardcoat .

Hi Guys, thanks for all the help with this.

I had a look at the products everyone mentioned, most are either brush on or are hard to get hold of in the UK

I tried some automotive Acrylic Lacquer ( Holts) which has worked really well except for the chest armour, think thats because its got two or three coats of different paint on it.
Overall results are pretty good with this but I will keep my eyes open for the ones everybody mentioned.

Again thanks for all the assistance, Cheers Guys

Back