Statue Gimli Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the items will be shared but I could see SS ending up with the PF's and 1/6th statues. I just don't think there is a guarantee Weta getting them.

I can't disagree with you there. If someone had told me a year ago that New Line was shopping the 1/6 scale LOTR polystone statue licence around and was leaning towards SS over Weta, I'd have thought they were out of their mind.:cuckoo: Yet here we are 8 month's after the official announcement with Weta on the outside looking in, and SS holding the licensing rights. I'm not sure if NL simply felt SS would do a better job, or if they thought SS had more in the way of resources to make a real push with this line, but whatever the reason, a licence that was once Weta's is no more.
I used to think Weta was a lock for 1/6 scale Hobbit collectibles and while I still think the odds are in their favour [PJ does own a huge chunk of Weta after all], there's no way I'd be surprised if they don't get them. Interestingly enough, a year or so ago Weta briefly had The Hobbit posted on their website as one of their licensing properties....

Last edited:
I wouldn't be shocked if they get it either and I'd be fine with it. I do like Weta and enjoy chatting up with them at the Con but I wouldn't be shocked if SS gets it either.

No i wouldn't be shocked either, but i would think Weta would be the favourites to get it. There could be the PJ factor as Woodsy said.

Woodsy, are you saying New Line CHOSE which company could do the maquettes? I hadn't heard that before, don't companies bid against each other to win the rights? I've no idea how it's decided by the way, but i didn't know NL got to choose?

I hope they end up going for a completely "realistic" look as opposed to a comic book looking piece (e.g., exaggerated pose, etc.). After seeing the picture, I think it could go either way.

The maquettes look to have more dynamic poses, but thankfully the sculpting style has been very realistic thus far. I like the action-orientation of these statues, and I am glad that they don't veer to far to the "Extreme!"

Brilliant move by Sideshow, if the Gimli maquette comes out before the PF, many other will be roped into the line just to own a him toghether with Aragorn, Legolas and Gandalf. No wonder they were witholding the PF Gimli so long from fans. They wanted to double dip and make people who otherwise wouldn't get both lines.

I will wait for the premium format.

I think there is already a queue formed for His Shortness in PF :lol

I noticed you prefer the PF's over 1/6 for display space. Out of curiosity, which characters would you like to get in Premium Format given they are quite big? :peace

I am hoping to display the eventual maquettes more as the Fellowship, but I too can't wait to display the Three Hunters together as Premium Formats! I really like the idea of displaying Saruman and GTW together too, might have to nick that from you if/when they make Saruman.

Yeah, at one time I think I was only just a few statues short of having them all. I had the Original, Rog, Cave Troll, WK TF, Strider, Sam and Bill, etc. Only a couple of the most expensive ones I did not own.

I was in the same boat too Josh, had almost the whole statue, environment, helm and bust collection. I had 5 or 6 of the medallions too. I sold them when my car was crushed and I needed money in a hurry, but the collection sold for more than my car cost, so I got an engagement ring for my then girlfriend. Now that she's my wife, she still double checks with me if it is okay that I sold it all. My only regret is not taking pictures of the collection as a whole with the full display when I had it all out with my UC swords.

I am hoping we get another preview of Gimli when they solicit the Legolas maquette sometime in the very near future!

Well, you got something pretty cool in that deal then. Saying that not even knowing your wife.

I hope so too. Got a feeling its gonna look pretty cool.

I had all the statues apart from the original balrog and cave troll, all the busts, all the enviros, all the helms, 3 of the 4 wall plaques, and most of the medallions.

Then i got married earlier this year :lol

Still have all the enviros, most of the statues (the ones in the photo), most of the busts, 2 wall plaques, but i sold all my medallions, helms (bought back the hobbit and Rohan helms), and weapon sets.

Back