Action Figure GI JOE Kitbash Parts Help and Trade Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I'm looking at for the #3 for each. Kind of the faced with an outline in dark-blue/grey. From what I've seen in tattoos a lot of the time as blacks fade they turn a blue-green with the skin, so we'll see how these come out, I'm going to get them printed on Friday hopefully. I'm going to print a bunch of different versions, take photos of all of them and then offer different versions I suppose.
I worked in the tattoo industry for 20 years & until recently owned a very successful studio... tattoos fade to a greyish color that CAN have a slightly blueish tint... but not that blue. Also, for a tattoo to go that blue your Gung Ho would need to be about 60 or 70... its takes a while + modern inks are a lot better. Think grey, with maybe a slight blue tint, looking at black thru tracing paper gives you a good idea! Also it should really be a uniform color, not outline in one then filled in another... unless it was done by a really terrible tattooist! I have work thats over 20 years old & none of it has turned blue or green!
SF Officer's Gung Ho wasnt bad...
Gungho1_zpsbec86985.jpg

Last edited:
Right, but I'm trying to keep it somewhat close to the original figures, which had that sky-blue color, so the tattoos would have started as a light blue, not at a black or grey.

Right, but I'm trying to keep it somewhat close to the original figures, which had that sky-blue color, so the tattoos would have started as a light blue, not at a black or grey.

but that was just a bad representation of an old tattoo... it worked on that scale but it doesnt come accross so well in 1/6.
to be honest i think one of the main reasons it was blue was to fit in with his vest/pants... looking at him now he looks like a club kid with a stick on moustache on his way to a rave!
Close-up-422x600.jpg

I agree with Ross. When I was doing my Gung Ho, there was a thin line between Freddy Mercury and gung Ho, he can very easily become a Village Person.

I agree with Ross. When I was doing my Gung Ho, there was a thin line between Freddy Mercury and gung Ho, he can very easily become a Village Person.

[ame="https://youtu.be/icQFpm_8sdI"]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/icQFpm_8sdI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/ame]

but that was just a bad representation of an old tattoo... it worked on that scale but it doesnt come accross so well in 1/6.
to be honest i think one of the main reasons it was blue was to fit in with his vest/pants... looking at him now he looks like a club kid with a stick on moustache on his way to a rave!
Close-up-422x600.jpg

That does look original figure/artwork accurate and the outfit is one of the better ones I've seen actually. That's the body I was planning on using too, did you freehand his EG&A tat?

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the original blue camo for Gung Ho, but this is a very impressive custom for staying close to the source material! I built mine to be closer to what I would expect to see Gung Ho in today, but your interpretation would make me think twice if I saw it on the store shelf.

Normally I stay as close to original figure or card artwork that I can, and I do love me some S1, S2 cartoon designs but the pure flippin' awesomeness of these three I'll break those rules. I plan on building these as close to SFO design as I possible can. I do want to find a vest for Gung-Ho that can stay opened to show off his black line EG&A tat.

Law15_zps9728fee1.jpg

DSC00753.jpg

DSC01633_zpsca6437be.jpg

Alright, so I'll offer two versions for 'Wreck and Gung Ho, a more original look, and a modern "realistic" take.

And goddamn Scifi I can't get over your L&O :rock

for gung ho you should go for something more like this:
zzgiejoeae25p13.jpg

shirt with the sleeves cut off, that way you will be able to leave it open.
to be honest, i think that is what it was supposed to be:
gijoe%20gung%20ho.jpg

2487862-gijoe_06.jpg

his tattoo also works in blue as just an outline.

here is a Marines tattoo:
marine-tattoo-18.jpg

& here is an outline + a shaded version which would work well shrunk down:
Eagles_tattoo_347.jpg

Dream+Catchers_tattoo_381.jpg

i dont think you can beat the one Scifi67 did for SF Officer... great work, as is SF Officers Gung Ho overall!

here is a Marines tattoo:
marine-tattoo-18.jpg

& here is an outline + a shaded version which would work well shrunk down:
Eagles_tattoo_347.jpg

Dream+Catchers_tattoo_381.jpg

i dont think you can beat the one Scifi67 did for SF Officer... great work, as is SF Officers Gung Ho overall!

the last one is perfect, and the cut off sleeve is genius

Back