GGS Obi-Wan ANH bust!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I am collecting this line there is little doubt that I will be getting this.

This bust looks great and I can not wait to add it to the collection.

Have to agree with DL and DD the Obi Wan Sideshow statue is awesome.

Darth Loki said:
Yeah I know. Look at Alec's beautiful BLUE eyes. And the yellow in his beard looks great!

Darth, I agree that the yellow isn't right, but GG's does acknowledge the darkness in Alec's beard at at that spot, while the PF is, if anything, lighter there, just judging from these pics.

I love the PF and am trying to figure out how to swing that purchase. It would rival my LE Obi-Wan saber as my collection's focal point.

So far, this GG looks great also.

Darth Loki said:
Please don't take this as a personal attack, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about! The Obi PF is one of, if not, the best human likeness of any statue I've ever seen. There was some thread a while ago about the best likeness of any statue from any manufacturer and this was the run away winner. If you're gonna pick a PF to complain about likeness, you surely showed your ignorance by picking this one.

It's not so much of a question of ignorance but of personal preference. Both sculpts are great overall, but neither 100% Guinness. The one thing that clearly puts GG above SS, as it's been said, they capitalized on the the expression, which is a dynamic quality often overlooked by sculptors. It's the big X factor in any statue/bust. Maybe GG just got lucky here, but who cares, they nailed it! I think Leia is the best PF easily. A little heavy on the eyelashes/liner, but it's just about perfect in both likeness and expression. I'm a big Obi-fan, so I feel righteous in my opinion, which doesn't equate to taking a dump on your investment as you have apparently misconstrued.

As far as showing my ignorance, heh, you sound like I hurt your dog or something. Typical passive aggressive fan.

0609603116.png

Amanaman vs. Darth Loki

Monday, October 9th only on Pay-per-View!
Order it now!

Collector Freak said:

Compared to the actual picture, it looks like GG has overemphasized the forehead creases above the nose, and the skin seems a bit pale, not to mention the bright blue eyes, overly white hair and the slight chubbiness. I actually think that the expression on the Sideshow piece more closely matches the picture here of Alec Guinness, although if it had a hint of a smile it would be just a bit better--although the SS PF is from the scene when he is dueling Vader, so the serious pose is appropriate. Nitpicking aside, I think that they are both good pieces, and I will be happy to have both in my collection (assuming that the GG piece isn't going to be an event exclusive like their more sought after busts from this year--about 25% of the busts they released in 2006 were not available to the general public). Personally, I would give the edge to the SS sculpt, although neither of them perfectly capture the center image perfectly.

Well if we are looking for perfect, I don't think we will ever get it. Between the likeness, expression, paint color, paint apps, and the other million and a half things we've found to scrutinize, nothing will ever be perfect. That being said, the SS PF Obi is perfect :lol . It's as close to perfect as I would ever expect anything other than a life size bust to be. Though I will agree Leia gives him a run for the money.

I love the GG busts, hell I own my GG pieces than SS pieces, but I don't collect the SW line (wish I had but way too expensive to play catch up now). Alec obviously wasn't laser scanned but I like the fact that that gives them a better likeness. I honestly don't care how a company gets a great likeness, as long as they get it.

I'm not liking the GG bust, somethings off. Its ok, but the Potter line blows it away.:rotfl

This bust doesnt even compare to the pf.....The stuff i'm reading here sometimes is ridiculous.

Both peices are great representatives on how each company's artists seem to render human characters. Sideshow always seems a bit more stoic and Gentle Giant more expressive. It's not a good or bad thing...it's what it is.

I've seen the PF Obi-Wan in "person" and it is breathtaking...

I also like this Gentle Giant rendition, but my main concern is how the final product will come out. After this season's disappointing Qui-Gon Jinn, I'm feeling once-bitten with the final result of GG's human character busts...and I'd really want this one to turn out at least as good as this proto-pic is...

And like tomanshell, I'm wondering if this isn't a con exclusive or something....they've gotta be saving something special for CIV or Europe or SDCC to celebrate SW30....

tomandshell said:
Oh, I can't wait to be around this place when Sideshow reveals their CIV exclusive item! If it's a PF I will drop dead.

That's too aggressive, I hope it's not a 12" exclusive. If they do an exclusive, it should be for SDCC since it's a bigger and better show.

Shai Hulud said:
This bust doesnt even compare to the pf.....The stuff i'm reading here sometimes is ridiculous.

So much for people being allowed to have an opinion I guess. I happen to agree the PF is better, but I like the bust too.

At first just seeing the bust I thought it was great, but seeing it next to that pic of Sir Alec, it's not as dead on as I'd thought. I think both presentations are pretty darn close though, even if different styles.

Back