Statue Getting Statues Signed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INFECDEAD

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to be seeing Stan Lee here in Australia, I am getting my Spidey Com signed on the back wall which I think looks awesome as I've seen with envious eyes some of the folks on here with it done. I was also going to take my pedestal from Dr Doom to have the side of the base on it signed aswell.
But it's got me wondering if signatures on the statue or on the base are preferred in general or not. It's not like I'm going to sell them ever but I thought some of you guys might know more about it and have an opinion?

If you are doing for your enjoyment, go for it. It won't make it worth any more IMO, in fact more people than not will pay less for it if you would ever have to sell it in the future. The signature is more about the experience of YOU getting it than anything else. That will make it more enjoyable to you and worth it for you but it doesn't do anything for the next person to own it. I would definitely get a picture of him signing it as well to prove the sig is legit.

Thanks, I am a bit surprised about it being worth less but I can see people being fickle about it. I will see about pics I'm not sure what is happening on the day other than I can definitely get my picture taken with him, I'm just unsure if that's in a photography area or at the signing desk. Thanks Vorpoll

I got campbell to sign the Mary Jane comiquette and will probably do it for the future pieces in that line, I don't usually care but figured why not, I wouldn't care if Stan lee signed a darth vader helmet, I would just want something, not going to be around too much longer :(

If it's a legit signing event. They will give you validation, but as it's been said. Get a picture/video proof just in case.

And to value, again, it's up to you. And I'm sure stan lees signature is everywhere. So if it means a lot to you, do it. If he doesn't mean a lot, might want to get something else signed.

I really want his sig, I got a premium ticket which is nearly $300 for the event and am travelling a couple of hundred kms! Rose McGowan will be there tho :love
Ha and yes spazzy I've been waiting thinking it would never happen that he'd come to Australia so I'm stoked to have something.

I really want his sig, I got a premium ticket which is nearly $300 for the event and am travelling a couple of hundred kms! Rose McGowan will be there tho :love

It sounds like you really respect stan lee. If I were you, I'd get Spidey signed, laminate the ticket, take what ever proof you have wether it be a picture you get or documentation from the company that organizes the signing and then keep that statue for ever and pass it down to kids or something.

I think that'd be the best bet. I'm sure you could sell it and break even or even make money. But it sounds like you have a connection to Stan, and if I were you, I'd never sell the piece after that...

I had the chance to meet Stan a couple years ago in Chicago and I loved it. Paid to have my picture with him and I love that as well. Thought about having something signed but didn't. Maybe I will this year as he is coming back again. I was thinking of a canvas of a Spiderman cover as it will only be for my enjoyment. I know I wont get any value from it but I will cherish it.

I'm lucky enough to be seeing Stan Lee here in Australia, I am getting my Spidey Com signed on the back wall which I think looks awesome as I've seen with envious eyes some of the folks on here with it done. I was also going to take my pedestal from Dr Doom to have the side of the base on it signed aswell.
But it's got me wondering if signatures on the statue or on the base are preferred in general or not. It's not like I'm going to sell them ever but I thought some of you guys might know more about it and have an opinion?

Very cool! Infact, i'll hopefully be meeting Stan in a few months time at our very own UK London Comic Con :rock still haven't decided which collectible to take yet but I'm pretty much stuck between 3...my Comic Green Hulk PF base, my Spidey PF base or the Spidey Comiquette base...im also thinking which will be easiest to carry around all day!! :lol :lol

However, my main aim for meeting Stan is to get him to autograph my Marvel full sleeve tattoo which I had completed a few months ago after it took a whole year to complete :thud: Looking to get that killer pic with him signing my arm so that I can show my grandchildren one day that I met the great man and also what a great way to finish off my sleeve :yess:

OK INFECDEAD, I've gotten 12 items signed by Stan over 2 CONs in Chicago. The first time was a few years ago at Wizard World and the 2nd time was just a few months ago at C2E2. The 1st time was an absolute blast. I also got the VIP package and it was a real pleasure taking a pic with Stan and getting his sig on some of my most prized statues. Back then a sig was $50 US and getting a certificate of authenticity only cost an additional $5. The COA was a sheet of paper that stated your piece was signed by Stan.

Fast forward 2 years and the next time I saw him was at C2E2. This time around I had an entirely different experience. When I went to go pay for a signature ticket, I was asked...what will I have signed? I asked...what difference does it make what I have signed? A sig is a sig regardless of what it's on. The person selling tix said that the sig tix cost between $60-$80 depending on what I want signed. I told him I want statues signed by Stan. He told me there was an $80 charge for that. I had 4 statues I wanted signed so that would have set me back $320. I told the dude I'm getting 4 sigs. I'll pay $60 a pop. I took $240 out of my wallet, gave it to him, and told him to get me 4 tix. He took my cash, gave me a weird look, and walked to the ticket station. A few minutes later he walked back to me and handed me 4 tix. So, I was able to get my 4 statues signed for $60 a pop instead of $80. After I got them signed, a dude was there in line with a roll of foil stickers and offered certification of the sigs for $5 a pop. I paid the dude $20 and he proceeded to put 4 foil stickers right next to where Stan signed his name. These stickers now take the place of the paper certificates that were used years ago. Also, just so you know, pics of Stan signing your pieces aren't allowed. If they allowed that, there would be no need to charge peeps an additional $5 a pop for certification. As I said, the 2nd time around did leave a rather bitter taste in my mouth.

As far as value of your statues after he signs. There is no way the piece will be worth less. A certified sig by Stan does ADD value to the piece. Just keep in mind...Stan signs everything peeps pay for, so his sig isn't rare. Therefore, his sig also doesn't add a lot of value to a piece. However, if you paid between $50-$80 for his sig, you can more than likely get that back when you sell an item. Especially on a hot statue like the original Spidey COM. That sig will command a premium.

Even though I didn't enjoy the 2nd time I saw Stan as much as I did the 1st, I'll probably buy another VIP ticket for his upcoming appearance at WW this summer. This time around, I plan on getting a pic with him and my family. My 2 sons are both now old enough to know who he is and a pic with me, my wife, and both of my boys with Stan would mean a lot to me. After that, I can pretty much say my Stan experience will have come to an end. However, I'll NEVER forget the 1st time I met Stan. I felt like a little star struck kid and it was AWESOME! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I think it is great idea. I had Stan sign the front base of my Spiderman PF last year. I will cherish it for as long as I live.

Thanks for the cool stories and advice everyone :) Much appreciated. Going to get the Spidey Com and Doom pedestal done. I'm eyeing my hulk vs spidey dio... Don't think I can carry it :(

OK INFECDEAD, I've gotten 12 items signed by Stan over 2 CONs in Chicago. The first time was a few years ago at Wizard World and the 2nd time was just a few months ago at C2E2. The 1st time was an absolute blast. I also got the VIP package and it was a real pleasure taking a pic with Stan and getting his sig on some of my most prized statues. Back then a sig was $50 US and getting a certificate of authenticity only cost an additional $5. The COA was a sheet of paper that stated your piece was signed by Stan.

Fast forward 2 years and the next time I saw him was at C2E2. This time around I had an entirely different experience. When I went to go pay for a signature ticket, I was asked...what will I have signed? I asked...what difference does it make what I have signed? A sig is a sig regardless of what it's on. The person selling tix said that the sig tix cost between $60-$80 depending on what I want signed. I told him I want statues signed by Stan. He told me there was an $80 charge for that. I had 4 statues I wanted signed so that would have set me back $320. I told the dude I'm getting 4 sigs. I'll pay $60 a pop. I took $240 out of my wallet, gave it to him, and told him to get me 4 tix. He took my cash, gave me a weird look, and walked to the ticket station. A few minutes later he walked back to me and handed me 4 tix. So, I was able to get my 4 statues signed for $60 a pop instead of $80. After I got them signed, a dude was there in line with a roll of foil stickers and offered certification of the sigs for $5 a pop. I paid the dude $20 and he proceeded to put 4 foil stickers right next to where Stan signed his name. These stickers now take the place of the paper certificates that were used years ago. Also, just so you know, pics of Stan signing your pieces aren't allowed. If they allowed that, there would be no need to charge peeps an additional $5 a pop for certification. As I said, the 2nd time around did leave a rather bitter taste in my mouth.

As far as value of your statues after he signs. There is no way the piece will be worth less. A certified sig by Stan does ADD value to the piece. Just keep in mind...Stan signs everything peeps pay for, so his sig isn't rare. Therefore, his sig also doesn't add a lot of value to a piece. However, if you paid between $50-$80 for his sig, you can more than likely get that back when you sell an item. Especially on a hot statue like the original Spidey COM. That sig will command a premium.

Even though I didn't enjoy the 2nd time I saw Stan as much as I did the 1st, I'll probably buy another VIP ticket for his upcoming appearance at WW this summer. This time around, I plan on getting a pic with him and my family. My 2 sons are both now old enough to know who he is and a pic with me, my wife, and both of my boys with Stan would mean a lot to me. After that, I can pretty much say my Stan experience will have come to an end. However, I'll NEVER forget the 1st time I met Stan. I felt like a little star struck kid and it was AWESOME! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

A ton of great information there. As far as if the piece would be worth less it is all in the eye of the beholder. For myself and lots of others (this has been discussed in other threads) I will not pay as much for a statue with an autograph on it. If I wish for a signature, I want to be the one to get the experience and really, most times I would rather not have it on there. These stickers/CoA's can be easily duplicated and I would rather not have the autograph on there anyway. Now having said that, the piece will be worth more to you and that's what your paying for. Enjoy the experience!!

Back