Gentle Giant: Clash of the Titans Rotocast figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingmetal

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know this will piss off the statue collectors:

https://www.figures.com/databases/a...egory=actionfigures&topic=166&show_article=35
Orignally announced to be a series of resin statues, the fantastic creatures from Clash of the Titans will now be produced as detailed roto-cast figures.

Slated for release this summer for a SRP of $30 each, the first wave of Gentle Giant sculpted figures will star Medusa, Calibos (with aleternative hands- bladed and normal) and The Kraken.

Wow!
Nice! Now I can buy them! :banana

What does Roto Cast mean? This pissed a lot of POTA (planet of the Apes) fans off with Sideshow's figures. Will these figures be articulated? What scale will these be in, 1:6? Will they be articulated? Woohoo, Go Ray Harryhausen!!! :banana :banana :banana :banana

I've always hoped that Sideshow would get the license to do 1/6 scale Clash of the Titans figures, but this could be an interesting line. And the price is right. I'll be curious to see what other characters Gentle Giant decides to make (assuming series 1 sells well enough).

Wow!! This is great news!!!:banana

I was planning on buying the statues but action figures are even better.

I hope they are somewhat in scale with the X-Plus Harryhausen figures released a few years ago.

If that Kraken comes in aanywhere near 1:6 I'm going to have a heart attack.:horror

I'd assume they'd be at least 12" tall. Rotocast is very rarely used for anything under 10", unless it doesn't require much detail (i.e. Family Guy).

Injection molding is when the liquid plastic is forced into the mold under pressure, filling it. Rotocast molding is when a thin layer of liquid plastic is poured into a rotating mold, coating the exterior of the mold but not filling it.

Examples of rotocast figures include the large Mezco 18" Hellboys, and their upcoming King Kong. I'd assume these guys would be at least 12", and if we're really lucky, maybe 18"!

Very cool! If these turn out as cool as the old X-Plus Harryhausen figures (which I'm sure they will), I'll definitely pick these up.

Thanks for the update Michael. Makes sense now. Can't wait to see these. :D

I'd really like these to be 18" tall. But from the price they're asking, I'm thinking these will be closer to 12"-15".

Sold!

Medusa is still one of my all-time favorite movie monsters, it's one of those "WOW! :horror" movie moments that's stuck with me since I was a kid.

I'm surprised there isn't any complaining from the statue collectors. I thought they would be upset by this announcement.
I'd love for Medusa to be in 1/6 scale, the others I'd like at 18".

tomandshell said:
For those interested, Gentle Giant will be offering a three pack of these figures, signed by Harryhausen, as an SDCC exclusive.

:horror

*Puts on list of booths to visit on preview night*

It's weird. On the Gentle Giants studios website they are already sold out. Calibos is 8" on a 1" base? It says that the Kracken and Medusa are designed in 1/6 but only stand 6"? On some websites they are being sold wholesale in bulk = 3 medusa, 2 kracken, and 1 Calibos for $160 - $180. Also, some sites are saying Calibos is 9" while Medusa & Kracken are 8". Calibos seems to be the short run. I'm not a hog, I just want one of each! :D

Gentle Giant's info has to be wrong. If the Kraken is 1/6 scale and he stands what, lets say 6 stories in the movie (and that's just what's above water), wouldn't that make him 10 feet tall? :confused:
I'd hope Gentle Giant makes these bigger then 9 and 6 inches. 12" for Medusa, 14" for Calibos, and 14"-15" for the Kraken (18" would be my preference).

Back