GBU or Once Upon a Time in the West

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBU or Once Upon a Time in the West

• Total voters
Yep we have original mono for JAWS and GBU, we just need Terminator to come through so that I can finally retire my 2003 MGM DVD, lol.
:lol

As crazy as the MGM Terminator DVD might be, and it is, you have to go back to the 1990 laser disk to find the last time GBU original audio was used :horror

Supposedly in 2014 MGM added a replacement disc with a version of the original mono track on the Man with No Name trilogy box set near the end of its run but 4 big problems with that:

1. It was for the inferior extended cut.
2. Incorrect color timing version.
3. The mono wasn’t from the superior 1990 LD (that sounds crazy I know)
4. I don’t know if anyone ever received that updated replacement disc I certainly didn’t lol

So as it stands as far I am concerned 1990 was the last time!

Last edited:
:lol

As crazy as the MGM Terminator DVD might be, and it is, you have to go back to the 1990 laser disk to find the last time GBU original audio was used :horror

Supposedly in 2014 MGM added a replacement disc with a version of the original mono track on the Man with No Name trilogy box set near the end of its run but 4 big problems with that:

1. It was for the inferior extended cut.
2. Incorrect color timing version.
3. The mono wasn’t from the superior 1990 LD (that sounds crazy I know)
4. I don’t know if anyone ever received that updated replacement disc I certainly didn’t lol

So as it stands as far I am concerned 1990 was the last time!
I didn't know about the replacement disc and no one I know has it either. I bought that set and was so unhappy with the color timing. Hopefully the new release lives up to everything the movie deserves. I still watch the mgm Terminator release as well guys.

I didn't know about the replacement disc and no one I know has it either. I bought that set and was so unhappy with the color timing. Hopefully the new release lives up to everything the movie deserves. I still watch the mgm Terminator release as well guys.
Lots of controversy involved if Leone preferred the yellow orange tint or not.

I for one am happy to see it finally gone.

Now if only Halloween 78 and T2 would get fixed.

Also lets see how Road Warrior looks with the restoration.

Lots of controversy involved if Leone preferred the yellow orange tint or not.

I for one am happy to see it finally gone.

Now if only Halloween 78 and T2 would get fixed.

Also lets see how Road Warrior looks with the restoration.
So many 80's flicks are coming out great on 4K (BTTF, The Thing, David Lynch Dune, Trek I-IV) especially since nothing was low res CGI so even the visual effects are coming through in true 4K.

Holy crap all this talk of classic 80's movies in 4K prompted me to pop in the disc for BTTF which I actually hadn't sampled until now and ended up watching the whole thing. Not only is that film as perfect as ever but when the credits finished it immediately began playing the deleted scenes, none of which I had ever seen before and one in particular had me *dying.*

It's right before Marty goes to the dance and he's sharing his angst to Doc about potentially having to "feel up his own mother." Doc says don't worry it'll all just be an act to which Marty replies, "yeah but I feel like this is the type of thing that could screw me up permanently. What if because of this I go back to the future and turn out to be...gay." :rotfl

That entire movie would be so "Song of the South'd" right now if they'd left that in. :lol I'm almost shocked they included it with the deleted scenes. So topical with all the Simu Liu stuff going on right now, lol.

Holy crap all this talk of classic 80's movies in 4K prompted me to pop in the disc for BTTF which I actually hadn't sampled until now and ended up watching the whole thing. Not only is that film as perfect as ever but when the credits finished it immediately began playing the deleted scenes, none of which I had ever scene before and one in particular had me *dying.*

It's right before Marty goes to the dance and he's sharing his angst to Doc about potentially having to "feel up his own mother." Doc says don't worry it'll all just be an act to which Marty replies, "yeah but I feel like this is the type of thing that could screw me up permanently. What if because of this I go back to the future and turn out to be...gay." :rotfl

That entire movie would be so "Song of the South'd" right now if they'd left that in. :lol I'm almost shocked they included it with the deleted scenes. So topical with all the Simu Liu stuff going on right now, lol.

Here's a question I always had about BTTF. How come Marty's parents don't recognize Marty in the improved 1985 timeline? It seems that Marty in 1955 had a big influence and impression on both his parents in 1955, so shouldn't they recognize him 1985. Maybe they did at some point, but the film just doesn't show it?

Well the movie does ask the audience to turn a blind eye to some pretty glaring questions (like how the butterfly effect leads George and Lorraine to still have the exact same amount of kids in the exact same house in the exact same neighborhood and so on) but I would assume that them noticing the resemblance between their Marty and the one that they encountered in 1955 would have probably been realized way before the day that he left 1985. Therefore it would have been something they discussed or chuckled about sometime earlier in Marty's "new childhood" that he has no memory of.

Honestly, both of these movies are too toxic. They should be burned with other horrible influences of the past like Dr. Seuss, Rambo and Mrs. Butter-worths. Shame!

This post is hilarious when paired with your sig, lol.

Where the heck is the Indy set anyway? Online only?
I ordered the set through ebay with a movie dealer. Best Buy near had it last week. Bad thing is with only one factory making discs there is a smaller supply with everything being released..

I watched Once Upon a Time in the West again last night, and then again with the commentary on.

The acting and cinematography was a tour de force. That single take as Claudia Cardinale walks down the platform, then seen framed through the window inside the station office, before the camera rises above the station to show the whole town of Flagstone, all perfectly synchronised with Ennio Morricone's score.

The commentary also records that when Claudia steps off the train, the original idea was to put the camera under the step and show that "she wasn't wearing any knickers". :lol

I watched Once Upon a Time in the West again last night, and then again with the commentary on.

The acting and cinematography was a tour de force. That single take as Claudia Cardinale walks down the platform, then seen framed through the window inside the station office, before the camera rises above the station to show the whole town of Flagstone, all perfectly synchronised with Ennio Morricone's score.

The commentary also records that when Claudia steps off the train, the original idea was to put the camera under the step and show that "she wasn't wearing any knickers". :lol
When she arrived to see the dead family the freaking kids on the table yikes!

When she arrived to see the dead family the freaking kids on the table yikes!

Henry Fonda's performance shocked viewers because his character was so uncharacteristically evil.

Apparently, for American audiences they cut out the moment when he shoots the younger boy because it was too just too shocking.

Back