Gamorrean Guard 12"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unreal, I'm very happy with my repainted Hasbro... but this will look good with him.

More important is Sideshow working on non-standard body figures. This is a huge development IMO :rock :rock

Hey galacticboy!
I just bought the Hasbro Gamorrean Guard and would like to repainted like you did...it looks great you just did an excellent job!!...what paints (brand or type) did you use?...did you paint the figure over the original paint or did you remove it?

Thanks!

Thanks pompiato :duff

I just painted right over that sucker. And I didn't use anything fancy for paints just the stuff you can buy at Hobby Lobby for $1 or so a tube :lol The only stuff that was pricey that I used was the master modelers clear and gloss acryl.

Mine actually arrived somewhat damaged so I was able to pop the body apart which made painting a lot easier... but here's a few WIP. The only part of this guy not touched by paint was the bottoms of his feet and the body underneath his tunic... everything else was covered.

Gammya.jpg

W/one coat of paint... already can see a nice difference
gammyb.jpg

gammyc.jpg

gammyd.jpg

cool! nice to see SSC making him. I am very curious to see how the articulation would be like. Though with this, SSC should consider make a new ep6 jedi luke. The original was tolerable at the beginning, now its just... well.... left behind by the new crop of figures.

Wow!...thanks a lot man!...that will help me a lot to improve mine!!...I really don't know what were they thinking to develop such horrible painting in that figure!...the sculpt is very good!

Guessing the right color of green was too expensive :lol

But, lucky for us its now its easy to get them on the cheap :rock

Figures like the Gamorrean really make you wonder what goes on with Hasbro, sometimes they can roll out fantastic pieces, and other times they can ruin a piece with a crazy paint scheme. The Gamorrean looks nothing at all like the film, particularly the bags around the eyes, it's like they just decided to make it all up :lol, even their 4" one is closer painted to the movie. Oh well, I'm just excited to see what Sideshow does, their creature paints apps are always stellar.

Heck, even the vintage Kenner was closer looking :lol

Well, if I cut Hasbro with my words, that's just pouring the salt right in :lol, but very true.

In Hasbro's defence, even Hot Toys does lesser quality with larger products, I figured the 1/4 scale busts from HT would be amazing with the bigger scale, but all the 1/6 versions came out better, guess everyone has their niche.

And in all honesty sometimes a screw-up happens and the factories production turns out messed-up. Not sure what the proto of the Hasbro Gammy looked like... but I have a hard time imagining it looked anything like the final product.

Yeah, things do happen. I really can't remember seeing anything but the final look for the Gamorrean, things were different back then when new products came, the internet wasn't such a huge factor, I think I just heard it was coming out and went through my LCS.

I went looking for prototype shots of the Hasbro Gammy and I'm starting the think they don't exist online. I did find this shot of the back of the box which definately shows a much better paintjob that is lighter on the "eyeliner" and has an apparent "lip" paintjob that does not exist on the final product. Still looks pretty bad paintwise though.

sw03acgamorreanguardboxbk.jpg

Also in my search I found this group photo of, most likely, all of the Gammy suits made for ROTJ with the 3 weapons they use. Can anyone find a larger version of this photo?

300px-Gamorrean_trio_btm.jpg

I've seen larger images of some of the Guards... but not the group shot.

Do like that the Sideshow one appears to have better proportions than the Hasbro.

Of every Gamorrean figure to date, the original 1983 Kenner has been the best in body proportions.

I'm not surprised Sideshow did better, I can't wait to see more on this one. Between the overall build of the creature and paint apps this should be a fantastic looking figure.

I hope they include all 3 weapons, or at least do an Ex. where the item is one of the weapons so you can have all 3 with that version.

cThough with this, SSC should consider make a new ep6 jedi luke. The original was tolerable at the beginning, now its just... well.... left behind by the new crop of figures.

I'd like to see Endor Luke - tbh its mostly the same as the already released one but I think they would do a much better sculpt now.

I would be interested to see an Endor version... honestly I'm still very happy with the original, but I'd love to see a 2nd version with a more stern expression. Also having something that poses better would be nice as well.

Back