Funny or Serious Freddy Krueger debate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddysnightmares

Super Freak
Reaction score
This has been a discussion with horror fans over the internet for years, whether the like the "Funny Freddy" Parts 3,4,5,6, and FvJ or the "Serious Freddy" parts 1 and 2. My theory on this is, if you even look at the first and second film, Freddy is the same funny joker. When Freddy and Tina are in the alley and Freddy runs at her in that stranger and creepy run, and when he chops off his fingers and the green liquid comes out. I would have like Freddy do stay the way he did in parts 1 and 2 but i am still a giant, giant Freddy fan and i still love the character. Also, The reasons to Freddy seems more funny and not dark in 3,4,5,6 and FvJ, is because his face isn't has hidden as much just my thoughts.

I think part 3 was the best to me as he was kind of a mix.... He was funny, but there was still a dark edge to him. I like a nice balance like that.

You know.. i have this debate a lot too. I really like freddy in all of the movies.. except.. well, fvj got a little TOO stupid.. the pot and all that..
but he is campy, and funny, and i love that.
And you are right, he was funny in the first two as well, i don't know how people don't see that.

My brother hates funny freddy.
And i understand why i guess. But the lighting of the first two movies did make a big difference. Fred just got more and more screen time, and you saw more of his face. That is all, imo.

I hate Nightmare 2 though. With a passion. *shrug*

He was never really overly serious and solemn like the guys who don't speak. I think his expressiveness and personality set him apart from others and is a good thing. However, he did go overboard in some of those films, IMO.

I prefer Freddy from the first movie, sinister with flashes of dark humor. By the later sequels, he basically became the slasher version of a Catskills comedian. All that was missing was rimshots and a two drink minimum.

I prefer Freddy from the first movie, sinister with flashes of dark humor. By the later sequels, he basically became the slasher version of a Catskills comedian. All that was missing was rimshots and a two drink minimum.

:lecture Couldn't have said it better myself. Aside from part one was he really scary?

bf-exactly.gif

You said it perfectly. As a horror fan throughout the 80's, I detested those sequels, though 2 and 3 had their moments. The mid/late 80's became rampant with "horror-humor." Freddy was completely mainstream at that point, hanging out on Mtv and the like. Thankfully Hellraiser came along to remind us that horror could still be horrific.

Serious fits the character idea better, but I have to admit that I like the comedy version, but I wish he were still a brutal killer on top of that, using fewer gimmick kills, and actually using his glove to kill by hand more.

Hopefully they'll find some kind of balance between the two. Freddy still made jokes in the first two, they just weren't as blatantly dumb as the latter sequels, so hopefully they'll find that perfect sync between the two for the remake. Though, to be perfectly honest, while I accept the fact that it is, I still don't see why they're remaking it in the first place. :huh

I loved Freddy from part 1, but also loved him in A New Nightmare. His trench coat was badass - and he was not overly humorous as in Parts 4-6. Although Super Freddy was pretty hilarious.

The dark comedy in the first two films works well. The slapstick of the later films became an annoyance to me.

There's too many serious killers, so funny Freddy can be quite a relief...

Maybe after being beaten by kids twice, he went nuts...well, more nuts...

I'd def like to see him Serious because he is really a scary concept. A undead guy that kills children in their dreams, but the humor to me never really made me afraid of him, Like I just find him cool instead of frighting.

Back