Fred barton 1:1 Robocop bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a robo bust but was creative and made it a girl instead...thats ok right?

People need to remember that screen used stuff is really kinda crappy its more a trick with lighting and filters ..its all smoke and mirrors we just think its perfect cause you dont see it real long on screen usually. who knows coulda been done for a reason.

:goodpost: I second that, I want some robo-boobs :rotfl

About the casting, because of the rotocasting, some areas are a bit thinner
due to the material being forced by gravity into cavities,
leaving areas that are raised in the mold with less material on them.
it could not be anticipated, really, just a growing pain with a new technique Fred still needs to master.
I'm sure Fred will rectify it and find a solution.
He's a good guy and isn't trying to screw anyone.

hey guys, i managed to do a shoot for my robocop bust today, and just thought i'd share some shots with you, plus a quick review...

i've been following the complaints and anger over the quality of this piece, as well as the packaging issues. while i personally did not suffer any damages to my piece, i do sympathise with those who did. as for the paint and sculpt issues, frankly i think they've been blown way out of proportion. lemme just respond to the issues from my perspective.

the warped sculpt. i don't know about other pieces, but i did not suffer any severe or noticeable flaws in my sculpt/moulding. the so-called droop in the helmet's brimline is NOT a casting flaw, as some here have already pointed out. i noticed the drooping curve too, and i looked at my robocop bluray for reference, and in many scenes, it is pretty obvious that the droop is there in the onscreen helmet too.

the lightness and thinness of the material. while i do understand some of you have a serious dislike for the bust being so light, frankly i do not give a crap how light it is. the only thing i care about is the EXTERNAL quality. now, the thinness of the material is a more legitimate problem, since it seems to have resulted in warping in some pieces. of course, i realise they're connected, but like i said, the weight of a piece ultimately is not an indication of a collectible's real quality. what's far more important is...

the paint app. now here is where i have a real issue, like many of you. frankly, fred barton dropped the ball in this. there is simply NO excuse for the flaws in the paintwork, since he was claiming from day one that the paint would be of a high-end automotive level, with a smooth, even surface and a glossy finish. mine has quite a number of pretty noticeable issues. on the helmet's right side the paint is rough, probably due to paint bubbles. on the left, there is a wavy line of a light blue colour surrounding the visor. it is very visible even from 5 feet away. and the top of the helmet is covered with round paint spots, prob caused by uneven paint curing. the top of the chestplates do not have the lacquer, so they've got a matte finish, rather than glossy. the paintwork is the thing that i'm disappointed in. i emailed fred to notify him about these issues and (politely) asked him for some kind of explanation, he did not respond. kinda expected but still disappointing nonetheless.

BUT having said all that, when placed in my display area and viewed under softer lighting, the paint flaws are barely noticeable.

most importantly, every single guest to my home who's seen the bust have the exact same reaction: they go "WOW!". and ultimately, that's the best gauge of whether a collectible is a winner or not. this bust is.

so the bottom line is, i am happy with this piece, in spite of its flaws. it's far from perfect, but in my book it's still a pretty good piece. don't regret getting this at all.

here's the pics of my robocop bust...

RoboBust1.jpg

RoboBust2.jpg

RoboBust3.jpg

RoboBust4.jpg

RoboBust5.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry, MK. If it's late, it's for a good reason. :wink1:

Yes, you're right buddy. I'm not growing impatient after Fred, he's doing whatever necessary.
But the sheer awesomeness of this bust make me wanna have it NOW :gah:

Congrats Tyler and thank you for the photos :hi5:

I have to say that looks very impressive Tyler, and if I'm honest - I'm really struggling to see any flaws. It's a beautiful piece. Congrats buddy im happy for you.

Tylerdurden:

I think somebody asked Fred about the top of the chest having a matte finish (not glossy) and he said that it was supposed to be like that.

So, that wouldn't be a flaw....I guess.

Back