EW.com Top 25 Sci-fi shows and movies from th past 25 years

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I just hit the Heroes mark on that list and have to say that HAS to be outdated. It says Heroes season 1 is still in progress and Im sorry but placing Doctor Who behind Starship Troopers? :monkey4 Im too lazy to go through that entire list but it should really be higher.

Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind???whhaaattt? And BRAZIL? I've never heard of that movie.

ALIENS SHOULD'VE BEEN #1!!!! :rock :rock

Honestly, I think Doctor Who is quite possibly the greatest of all sci fi for the simple fact that it has lasted over 40 years, never had a huge budget and has survived even death (twice technically). Doctor Who managed to survive on imaginative stories, strong writing and solid acting even when stuff was getting a bit hammy. I mean really.. Starship Troopers? Out of curiosity what WAS number one on that list?

freakin' "V" rocked!!!!!!...sorry I had forgotten about that show.

the list is very subjective.

Matrix should NOT be at the top of that list, if these are acutally rankings and not random numberings.

I also find it hard to deal with Return of the Jedi or Revenge of the Sith not being on there in lieu of Clone Wars, it was a good cartoon series, but I felt the 2 films were better overall.

No Farscape and The Matrix at #1? :monkey4

And I would love to know what people's fascination with Wrath of Khan is. You take out Spock's death, which is rendered meaningless by Star Trek III, and all you're left with is William Shatner and Ricardo Montalban battling to see who can deliver the campiest, most over the top performance. I'll never understand it.

Matrix should NOT be at the top of that list, if these are acutally rankings and not random numberings.

I also find it hard to deal with Return of the Jedi or Revenge of the Sith not being on there in lieu of Clone Wars, it was a good cartoon series, but I felt the 2 films were better overall.

totally agree with you. i give no credit to this list.

Is Wrath of Khan a great film, no, but it certainly is the best of all the Trek films and a quality sci-fi film. It has a great score by James Horner (who later provided a great score for ALIENS), some great space battles, a nice, dynamic battle between 2 combants with a tense back story, and a an emotional climax. Regardless of ST3, Spock's death is still a tragic, heroic sacrifice and the final moments between Kirk and Spock really make you feel for them both in the situation.

Is Wrath of Khan a great film, no, but it certainly is the best of all the Trek films and a quality sci-fi film.

I think First Contact is a much better film, but that's just my opinion. Heck, I think the first and fourth movies are better that Khan too, but again, just my opinion.

Is Wrath of Khan a great film, no, but it certainly is the best of all the Trek films and a quality sci-fi film. It has a great score by James Horner (who later provided a great score for ALIENS), some great space battles, a nice, dynamic battle between 2 combants with a tense back story, and a an emotional climax. Regardless of ST3, Spock's death is still a tragic, heroic sacrifice and the final moments between Kirk and Spock really make you feel for them both in the situation.

I am going to have to disagree with you. Wrath Of Khan is a great film, without Wrath Of Khan there might not be a Star Trek movie franchise plus it kicked off a minor but great trilogy of Wrath Of Khan, Search For Spock and Journey Home.
Oh, and I think Generations might be the better movie, but that is up to debate.
I love these lists, they always begin great debates. I think Blade Runner should have been higher, but I will learn to live with it.

The lack of the Star Wars films definitely is troubling me. And I just now saw the 'Heroes' thing as well. This is definitely outdated!:monkey4

Sorry I posted such a sucky list :(
:monkey2

These kind of lists are almost always crap... and this one, while having some high-points, is not very good. But its still interesting to see what they come up with.

But the Matrix, while a really cool movie, just isn't the best of the past 25 years.

EW has no idea what's going on in sci fi. The only reason Battlestar made it that high was because of the sexy people in it. Granted Matrix (Not the crappy sequels) Was one of the more orginal ideas to come down the pipe in a while, I think the whole thing is crap. While I liked Starship trooper *ducks* I would not rate it as a great sci fi film. How ever I love Paul Veerhoven's views of the future. The Lack of Live action StarWars and thier ridiculous love of Lost does trouble me. You have to remeber people EW is about what is hot now. I don't even think BladeRunner would have been on the list had the new version not come out lately. They like sci fi that they can forget for a few moments it's sci fi. If one of the characters in heroes wore spandex they would not even take the time to mention it.

Afterall these are the same people who said that Borat was one of the smartest men in hollywood.:rotfl

I have never seen any BattleStar Galactica.....is it that good?

MATRIX prett much sucked bigtime. A trilogy that got worse not only by the movie but by the hour also.

MATRIX prett much sucked bigtime. A trilogy that got worse not only by the movie but by the hour also.

I think they had the first Martix film only on hte list. They did not include 2 and 3 on the list. The first Martix film was great.

the first Matix was a really good movie. The second was "ok" at best. The motorcycle/truck scene on the highway saved it. The third was horrible, I get a headache just thinking about it...

I never bought into the whole "The Matrix was always supposed to be a Trilogy". They should of stopped after the first one.

But, they wanted to milk that cow some more...

The Matrix is a Warner Bros movie. Time Warner owns EW. Matrix is #1 on their list. Hmm... :rolleyes:

Pretty dumb list, though it does contain some good films/shows. And at least they gave The Thing some love. :rock

And, Bardoon, you've seriously never heard of Brazil? :confused:

Back