eFX Darth Vader A NEW HOPE Helmet!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should ask for a replacement. These are not on the original prop. They are defects.

Definitely. The dome could maybe be buffed out but that spot on the mouth looks melted.

Thanks guys. I emailed them last night after posting the photos here. I'm just waiting for their response. I hope they work with me on this. I'd like to avoid the option of asking my bank to help.

That's exactly what I thought about the defect on the mouth, clutch. At first I thought it was a glue smudge, but I ran my finger over it and it felt indented. I hope EFX takes this as an opportunity to earn positive reputation points. Sometimes, good impression goes a longer way than $350.

Thanks god I have not the LE version.Bad printed C-Scar...melted plastic...scratches..:slap

Good luck to all the guys who has problems that they will become a fast new helmet or a refund.

I wish someone would put up pics of them both side by side, I was going to be the Guinea pig that did it but after seeing a few pics I think my regular version looks just fine.

If you mean comparison pics between both PCR I can do it when I get mine on Saturday.

On another note, eFX didn't charge me for shipping. I bought mine before SDCC so I did pay taxes even though I'm out of state. I though it was pretty decent of them.

I picked up my special edition helmet today from the FedEx Office. First, the bad news: the c-scar looks just as phony as the photos posted here suggested. Here's the snapshot I took of mine:

FullSizeRender.jpg

But the good news? It can be knocked down with a cotton swab dipped in mineral spirits. You really gotta apply some pressure on it, and I actually overdid it on mine by taking the excess cotton off and working the surface of the mask with the nearly-bare tip of the swab. The surface looks a little scratched up now if you look closely at it, but wasn't this defect meant to look like a scratch to begin with?

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Of course, once you stand back a little, its display value becomes obvious. The hand-painted details really elevate this piece above the cheapish feeling of the ABS material used by EFX, although it doesn't capture all the wear-and-tear of the prototype shown on the website. There's also a magnet connecting the front of the mask to the helmet, which is a nice touch.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

This is my first piece from EFX, and I ordered mine before SDCC and thus got charged CA sales tax despite living in Washington state. The extra amount was then applied to the cost of shipping, with EFX refunding the nearly $8 difference back to my credit card. Overall, I'd say this thing costs $50 more than it needs to be, but I'm happy to own something that comes this close to the original screen-used Vader mask from ANH.

@PJB-1138:
You can remove the scratches with Novus plastic polish very easy because this black areas are blank plastic.I used No.2 to remove some real matt tips from my dome.This novus stuff is magic.:clap

I picked up my special edition helmet today from the FedEx Office. First, the bad news: the c-scar looks just as phony as the photos posted here suggested. Here's the snapshot I took of mine:

View attachment 283490

But the good news? It can be knocked down with a cotton swab dipped in mineral spirits. You really gotta apply some pressure on it, and I actually overdid it on mine by taking the excess cotton off and working the surface of the mask with the nearly-bare tip of the swab. The surface looks a little scratched up now if you look closely at it, but wasn't this defect meant to look like a scratch to begin with?

View attachment 283492

The minor damage you inflicted to the helmet looks better than the original fugly C-scar

@PJB-1138:
You can remove the scratches with Novus plastic polish very easy because this black areas are blank plastic.I used No.2 to remove some real matt tips from my dome.This novus stuff is magic.:clap

Kronen, thanks for the advice. I picked up some Novus No. 2 and it removed that scratch like a dream! It created such a smooth, seamless surface now that it's got me wondering if there's a way I can create a more realistic-looking c-scar. :wink1:

And to Clutch, the tusk only looks crooked in my photo if the upper tube is meant to line-up closer to the upper tube and not the lower ones. Both tusks face forward and are parallel to one another. Whether that's accurate or not, I'll leave that up to the more knowledgeable Vader scholars here. But it looks right by me.

Would this Novus no. 2 work on the 1989 batmobile? I got mine from BBTS (discounted) and it has a smudge on it.

#2 is light scratch remover. Use that with one of those microfiber cloths and it should work. However, the spot may end up shinier than the rest of the piece if you are not careful.

Here are my two PCRs side by side. The c-scar doesn't bother me as much as it does other people but I do agree it doesn't look very good.IMG_4494.jpgIMG_4495.jpgIMG_4498.jpgIMG_4499.jpgIMG_4500.jpg

The sharpie painted C-scar should have been left out completely by EFX. The SE helmet would also need a bit of overall weathering to capture more of ANH dirty feel.

Vader ANH 01.jpg Vader ANH mask 01.jpg Vader ANH mask 04.jpg

Kronen, thanks for the advice. I picked up some Novus No. 2 and it removed that scratch like a dream! It created such a smooth, seamless surface now that it's got me wondering if there's a way I can create a more realistic-looking c-scar. :wink1:

You´re welcome!:wink1:

The brush strokes are so minimal I almost feel as the it could be done fairly easily on the regular helmet.

Back