Eagles VS Fell Beast diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it me or is that Fell Beast missing its tail? From what I can tell there only needs to be a Ringwraith sitting atop the FB. No WK please. And for the record, isn't the Eagle supposedly bigger than that, based on the movies?

The biggest concern I have with this one is shipping. That Eagle wing is crust thin to actually break under its own pressure while encased in a foam box. Recall that the FB back in the Weta days had a lot of breakage. Granted the spikes aren't as exposed, I fear that the Eagle's wings may suffer during shipment, this time around.

Is it me or is that Fell Beast missing its tail?

The tail seems to be swung up to the right and isn't easily seen in the photo because of the angle it seems.

I agree about possible shipping problems on the piece. Even the fellbeast has some very thin aspects to it and I wouldn't be surprised if they broke off in shipping.

I am still kind of thinking that it will be like the slug dio maybe but then again I would't be the least bit surprised if it was enourmous.

To make this on par with the space slug would be criminal. If as SS says, this line will be approx 1/9 scale, it will be a fairly large piece...which is fine with me :D

To make this on par with the space slug would be criminal. If as SS says, this line will be approx 1/9 scale, it will be a fairly large piece...which is fine with me :D

I agree that having this one at the same scale as the space slug would make it tiny...

But I think at 1/9th scale it would be HUGE!

Someone mentioned it before but I wouldn't be surprised to see this one at around 1/32 scale, which would make the Ringwraith figure approximately 2 inches tall. That's small but putting the fell beast into perspective, it would be a pretty big piece.

I agree that having this one at the same scale as the space slug would make it tiny...

But I think at 1/9th scale it would be HUGE!

Someone mentioned it before but I wouldn't be surprised to see this one at around 1/32 scale, which would make the Ringwraith figure approximately 2 inches tall. That's small but putting the fell beast into perspective, it would be a pretty big piece.

Having a 2" ringwraith would be fine, that would make the piece larger in scale than the fell beast statue.

But I remeber Sideshow in a recent podcast saying that if they did something like the mines of moria with a cave troll it would be smaller than 1/9th scale. But again who knows.I want more pics!

WARNING: Let's take the cool "Crack of Doom" piece as an example. It's measurements are: 6" H x 6.75" W x 4.25" L and weighs 3 pounds and costs $80.00. If it were to be doubled in size to 12" H x 13.50" W x 8.50" L and have it weigh 6 pounds, would the price doubling be justifiable? Is the price of polystone enough to warrant the doubling of the price? Development should not be that much of a difference, considering the piece is pretty much exactly same, just slightly larger.

Hi F&F - Don't forget, you're doubling length, width AND height ... so it is eight times the volume, and eight times the weight. Also, the intricacy of the detailing is much higher if you work at a larger scale - it is less forgiving on the details. I can't say what other logisitical problems also ensue.

My view though, is that doubling the size indeed requires increasing the price significantly. Maybe not eight times, but more than twice. :peace

Hi F&F - Don't forget, you're doubling length, width AND height ... so it is eight times the volume, and eight times the weight. Also, the intricacy of the detailing is much higher if you work at a larger scale - it is less forgiving on the details. I can't say what other logisitical problems also ensue.

My view though, is that doubling the size indeed requires increasing the price significantly. Maybe not eight times, but more than twice. :peace

Excellent point, spaceman. I totally goofed on the weight of the piece. But then again, where in a smaller piece, they may use solid polystone to provide strength, in a larger piece, they would probably go with a hollow interior to save weight (such as what's been done with most of the larger poly pieces.) So the weight would not necessarily increase exponentially.

You definitely have a point regarding the detailing being increased but that would again depend on the intricacy of the piece in general.

I am a sucker for Fantasy creatures, this is one of the most beautiful dioramas I have ever seen, Sideshow bring us the best, always!

... where in a smaller piece, they may use solid polystone to provide strength, in a larger piece, they would probably go with a hollow interior to save weight (such as what's been done with most of the larger poly pieces.)
Also absolutely true. :)

I doubt they'd make this hollow . . .with things dangling that way, making it hollow would definitely lead to more breakage in transit.

Well, Marc said in the SS chat that we wouldn't see anything of this until 2008..

So my guess is that we'll get a pre-order in feb-march and hopefully start shipping in May or something like that!

Back