DSLR and Lens suggestions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCJ99

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I've been in the market for a new DSLR (and ironically I sold my Canon 450D last year here on the boards :slap). My budget is about $800ish and I'm wanting to step into another camera. I've been looking at the Canon T2i, but now have been tempted by the Nikon 3100. I know that the kit lenses are not that great, but I've seen some folks take some pretty impressive shots with even just the kit 18-55mm. I'm not too familiar with the terminology yet, but I keep hearing how I should get a "faster lens", which I understand "allows more light in"... In any regards, here is what I'm looking to do and what questions I'm hoping to get advice on:

*I mainly want to shoot buildings, night shots, some macro close ups, and some human subjects. I love the "shallow depth of field" look and would like to achieve that with objects in the foreground. I wouldn't mind recording some video here and there, but nothing for film production. So my questions are:

1) Which is your experience between Canon Rebel and Nikon DSLR's?
2) Which lens would you recommend above the kit lens 18-55mm? (nothing too expensive, but better than a standard kit lens)
3) Any good lighting equipment you'd recommend to enhance my subject? (softboxes, strobes, etc....)

I know I probably won't be able to get all this stuff I mentioned for the $800 price range, but I'd appreciate the suggestions anyway :D

Thanks guys :hi5:

1) One is not better than the other. That's an age old debate that will never be resolved. Just play around with some at the store and see which one you prefer.
2) Honestly, a kit lens will do just fine, depending on what you plan to shoot. I use my 18-55mm for now, because the alternatives in that same zoom range can get pretty expensive. I also have a 50mm, a 70-300mm, and a 50-500mm.
3) I don't own a lot of lighting equipment. I did buy a Canon EX 580 II flash and a reflector. What sort of equipment you will need will depend on what you want to shoot.

I will say this. I purchased the Nikon 3100 a couple of months ago and it takes awesome shots!

I will post some up later this evening for you to check out. Keep in mind they haven't been touched up yet in any way. They are fresh off the camera with zero adjustments.

Actually here are a couple off of FB. The quality may not show through. If not I will repost later.

270773_216611218378351_100000884237970_626422_7093217_n.jpg

268425_216611418378331_100000884237970_626439_1230522_n.jpg

270823_216611551711651_100000884237970_626452_7316175_n.jpg

They don't look as nice as they do on photobucket. So when I get home I will repost.

Last edited:
you cant go wrong with canon or nikon. fiddle with both bodies, sometimes you prefer the "feel" from one than the other. save yourself from the dreaded GAS(gears acquisition syndrome), i say stick to your kit lens till you know what you really need. otherwise, you'll end up with lot of expensive glass and none of which you really need.:lol

if you really want to keep your budget tight, there are DIY stuff for softboxes, honeycombs, and the whole shebang.

Regardless of which brand you go with, I would recommend getting a 35mm or 50mm prime lens. I've pretty much only used the F1.8 35mm DX lens on my D5000 for the past year and its quite an amazing lens. It's fast, you can shoot great in low light and its only about 200 dollars. For the most part, you can just walk forward or backward if you want to zoom in and it is so light!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually went out today and picked up a little starter set at a local Samy's Camera. I went with the Nikon D3100 and ended up getting a Tamron SP AF 17-50 mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC lens. I was just looking to step up above the kit lens, so they suggested the Tamron for now. Hopefully it was worth picking up that lens, because it ran me $650 :gah:

Anyhoo, I think I'll be happy with this. From what I've seen people post with the Nikon I was very impressed :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually went out today and picked up a little starter set at a local Samy's Camera. I went with the Nikon D3100 and ended up getting a Tamron SP AF 17-50 mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC lens. I was just looking to step up above the kit lens, so they suggested the Tamron for now. Hopefully it was worth picking up that lens, because it ran me $650 :gah:

Anyhoo, I think I'll be happy with this. From what I've seen people post with the Nikon I was very impressed :)

:rock:rock:rock

Enjoy it!

Very cool.
I just love the range of that lens.

Was that the Samy's on Fairfax by any chance?

Congrats and enjoy!

Very cool.
I just love the range of that lens.

Was that the Samy's on Fairfax by any chance?

Congrats and enjoy!

It was the Samy's on Sepulveda.... I'm a little confused and irritated right now, that the Nikon doesn't come with a cable to plug into your computer and read retrieve your photos? :cuckoo:

But I'm also wondering if the investment in the extra lens was even worth it? The Tamron 17-50mm is bulkier and heavier, and I'm aware it's faster. I'm just wondering where I'm going to really notice the difference....

Last edited:
I have a Nikon D40, can anyone recommend a good, well made lens for a variety of shooting?

It was the Samy's on Sepulveda.... I'm a little confused and irritated right now, that the Nikon doesn't come with a cable to plug into your computer and read retrieve your photos? :cuckoo:

But I'm also wondering if the investment in the extra lens was even worth it? The Tamron 17-50mm is bulkier and heavier, and I'm aware it's faster. I'm just wondering where I'm going to really notice the difference....

That does sound a bit odd.
It's been a while since I've purchased a new Canon body, but I do believe they all come with a USB cable.

I'm a casual user no doubt. However, I haven't found a need for an additional lens. Especially at that price.

Well, after using my camera for a little over a week I did some exchanging at the store. I returned the Tamron lens to get a Nikkor 50mm lens and a nicer tripod, and I also returned the D3100 to step up to the D5100 (which I also wanted to mention, the 5100 brings the USB and composite cables, which the 3100 didn't :dunno.......) The 5100 has a built in HDR image feature which I loved, and I got a free 8GB SD card at the shop. So all in all, loving the camera so far and the 50mm lens is really fun. Here's some pics I snapped last week (with the D3100):

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics! I love prime lenses, its all I ever really carry around with me. I'd recommend getting a telephoto lens as well for when you really need to shoot something far away. Nikon's 55-200 VR is only around 150-200 dollars and an excellent lens. Heres a shot I took at the San Diego Zoo over the past weekend with it:

DSC_0058 by siningy, on Flickr

In my opinion, good glass is the key to clean photos. Of course, when it comes down to it, it's the photographer that really makes a good photo. Even an iPhone cane get some pretty amazing photos.

For my personal kit, I use a Canon 5D and usually shoot with the 24-70 f/2.8L. I also carry a 50 f/1.4 and a 70-200 f/2.8L. I still have a Speedlite 430 EXII for flash and a Manfrotto tripod with a pistol grip head. You might also consider adding a few filters (UV, Polarizing, Neutral Density Gradiant, etc.). The drawback is all that gear equals a really heavy camera bag.

Here's one of my shots of downtown Los Angeles using the 70-200:
396544495.jpg

My previous camera was a Canon Rebel XTi with a Sigma 18-200 f/4-5.6 lens with polarizing and ND Grad filters, which wasn't too bad:

356648675.jpg

And iPhone:
397883817.jpg

397883818.jpg

Has anybody used a Tamron 10-24mm Wide or a Sigma 10-20mm Wide before?

Trying to decide which one to get for my Canon xsi.

Back