Does this bug anyone else: U.S. shows have too many commercials, too little ep now!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, DVRs causing them to run more commercials makes sense, because who doesn't fast forward thru them...? I am just afraid that shows will be like 35 min of actual show, to 25 min of commercials in a one hour show before the trend reverses it the other way!

Yeah, DVRs causing them to run more commercials makes sense, because who doesn't fast forward thru them...? I am just afraid that shows will be like 35 min of actual show, to 25 min of commercials in a one hour show before the trend reverses it the other way!

Yup, you are probably right. Its easier to just add more commercials in then make any revolutionairy changes. Just like oil....sure its a better idea to come up with an alternative fuel source...but its just so damn easy (and profitable) to charge more for Gas. A change won't be made until the last drop of oil is sucked out of the ground and sold for a billion bucks.

Actually what does bother me is DVDs you buy where the previews are locked in and you can't go to the menu without watching the previews. Now that is an aspect of TV/movies that I think is pure BS. If you pay for a product, you should have the right to avoid commercials/trailers/previews/ads etc.

Gekko

Yeah! At first DVDs just went to main menus. You had to opt to watch trailers. Then they put them in front of the main menu, but you could easily skip them. Now you HAVE to watch them. I can only assume that the next step is when you buy the movie the company sends a thug to your house and makes you buy more of thier products. JERKS.

I think I would rather have it that way. First it makes the show seem more real if they are buying / using real products plus if it cuts down the commercials eventualy then its good.

I actually hate this... The WB/CW is notorious for product placement. My sister likes to watch the shows (which is my only exposure to these tween comedies/dramas), and something like that old Amanda Bynes show had her working at Chili's with the chili pepper logo plastered everywhere (followed by a Chili's commercial), and some drama (maybe One Tree Hill or something) had two girls sitting at a restaurant booth while an Ashlee Simpson song started playing, making one them say "I love this song" and then start singing to it. It really disgusts me.

I actually hate this... The WB/CW is notorious for product placement. My sister likes to watch the shows (which is my only exposure to these tween comedies/dramas), and something like that old Amanda Bynes show had her working at Chili's with the chili pepper logo plastered everywhere (followed by a Chili's commercial), and some drama (maybe One Tree Hill or something) had two girls sitting at a restaurant booth while an Ashlee Simpson song started playing, making one them say "I love this song" and then start singing to it. It really disgusts me.

Nah its just more like real life. Why make up a name of a place that someone works or a song they listen to when they can play a real song or work at a real place and the show makes money off of it. If someone told you that every time you said "Chili's" they would give you $100...how often would you throw that into conversation? Me personally...I might forget how to actually talk because Id be so busy saying "Chili's".

Commercials definately do suck balls. I guess I am not worried about them cutting into TV time so much, as I am more so about how many damn commercials there are. You sit there for 5 minutes at least waiting for your show to come back on. Even most shows you watch online now still have 20 second commercial spots at the same places they are when on live TV; during the episode.

i hate Commercials!!!! They suck balls!! which is why i just download the few shows i watch Put them on my memory stick and watch them on my xbox 360! and when they come out on DVD/BR i get them! Thats how i roll!!! :rock

Well TV in general has gotten bad. What ever happened to good shows and sitcoms?

Reality TV is cheaper and gives that guility pleasure sensation that you are watching real life occurring, or at least it used to. Ironically, the first real Reality TV show "The Real World" was only created because MTV couldn't afford the production costs for a soap opera and went this route, although Reality TV in recent times has been so perverted that some of it is probably more scripted than sitcoms or dramas.

If you pay attention to most shows, the "generic" cola cans of yesterday have been replaced by Coke or Pepsi. Fast food is slowly going from "Burger Shacks" to McDonalds or Burger king....etc. etc. In other words, the show IS the commercial and everyone is happy.

This has been going on for years. TV shows who were courting advertisers used often put a Pepsi can but have the word Pepsi replaced for "Cola". It was to show Pepsi how much exposure they'd get if they sponsored the show and for a long time it worked, now companies are actively just cutting out the middleman and paying the shows to just insert themselves in there.

I actually hate this... The WB/CW is notorious for product placement.

All the shows are its just the WB/CW are more blantant with it. In reality the Amanda Bynes show you reference, even the Ashlee Simpson placement most likely from 7th Heaven is fairly old maybe seen in syndication and her show (Bynes) in reality ended in 2006. Its gotten much worse than that. Who doesn't remember the Smallville a few years ago where Clark was surrounded by Old Spice and even used the deodorant before taking the football field?

It really depends how heavy the product placement is. There was one smallville episode where clark is on the football team that they had Old Spice deodarant logos and signs all over the field and a shot of his locker. It was so overdone.

Edit...just saw we had the same episode in mind!

AMC...

ugh, i have never seen so many commercial breaks taken by one station.

That's why I enjoy shows such as Doctor Who. Nearly a full hour of tv, sometimes longer. The BBC Model is where it's at.

The BBC model is a load of crap, in this country at the current rate of exchange it's £130/$189 dollars per year. The large proportion of the BBC programming is composed of repeats. There's genuinely very little worth watching on it considering the amount of money it rakes in off the taxpayer, DVD releases and selling shows to overseas network.

There's a very big movement gaining momentum over here to get rid of the license fee, I'll do everything in my power to avoid funding that corrupt organization.

Wouldn't be so bad if it was watch by choice like any other TV channel, but it's forced on you wether you want it or not.

As much as I like Doctor Who and some of the British programming, it seems like they probably import a lot more tv shows from America than America imports from them. That may be because advertising dollars earned from airing commercials means more money to make better shows.

Reality TV is cheaper and gives that guility pleasure sensation that you are watching real life occurring, or at least it used to. Ironically, the first real Reality TV show "The Real World" was only created because MTV couldn't afford the production costs for a soap opera and went this route, although Reality TV in recent times has been so perverted that some of it is probably more scripted than sitcoms or dramas.

This has been going on for years. TV shows who were courting advertisers used often put a Pepsi can but have the word Pepsi replaced for "Cola". It was to show Pepsi how much exposure they'd get if they sponsored the show and for a long time it worked, now companies are actively just cutting out the middleman and paying the shows to just insert themselves in there.

All the shows are its just the WB/CW are more blantant with it. In reality the Amanda Bynes show you reference, even the Ashlee Simpson placement most likely from 7th Heaven is fairly old maybe seen in syndication and her show (Bynes) in reality ended in 2006. Its gotten much worse than that. Who doesn't remember the Smallville a few years ago where Clark was surrounded by Old Spice and even used the deodorant before taking the football field?

Or that one episode that was based entirely around Stride chewing gum. It was actually the plot of the show! That was the most blatant form of product placement I have ever seen.

As much as I like Doctor Who and some of the British programming, it seems like they probably import a lot more tv shows from America than America imports from them. That may be because advertising dollars earned from airing commercials means more money to make better shows.

You're absolutely right there, especially when it comes to childrens programming, there has been a problem here with kids thinking the number for the emergency services is 911 (instead of 999) which I think has led to plans to try and get it added as an additional number for them.

At least in the states for kids shows you re-dub them.

The thing I hate about commercials is how loud they are. It's unbearable.

That's why I enjoy shows such as Doctor Who. Nearly a full hour of tv, sometimes longer.

Actually the average Doctor Who episode is around 45 minutes including credits. This is specifically done to maximize sales to international commercial markets.

Something else to consider is the narrative of a subscriber cable show and a network TV show is much different.

I'm so glad someone pointed this out. There's a reason HBO wins so many awards; commercial interruptions definitely impact structure.

Well TV in general has gotten bad. What ever happened to good shows and sitcoms? Stuff like Fresh Prince of Bel Air and dare I even say Full House.

We tend to only remember the better aspects of the past. I guarantee you that if we posted the full 1985 network schedule you wouldn't recall most of the shows. But while we're here I'll just point out the two shows you list are absolute garbage and I truly despair if we're now holding them up as examples of what modern television should aspire to.

But back on point, commercials don't seem to be any more frequent then they were when I grew up watching the tube.

They are definitely longer. An hour show has lost around 10 minutes of story time over the past 25 years. You can see this for yourself by timing archive programming on DVD.

The BBC model is a load of crap, in this country at the current rate of exchange it's £130/$189 dollars per year.

The BBC model is brilliant. It costs a pittance compared to what you get spread across television, radio and the Internet. The BBC is considered the premiere news organization on the planet and this is down in large part to its funding and ability to ignore commercial concerns. Meanwhile the corporation has created some of the best programming ever made (and a fair amount of crap as well). In fact many commentators hold up HBO as an aspirational goal and yet all that is is the BBC model in miniature.

The anti-BBC movement is largely motivated by political concerns.

The large proportion of the BBC programming is composed of repeats.

The bulk of every network on the planet is composed of repeats. And that includes America.

As much as I like Doctor Who and some of the British programming, it seems like they probably import a lot more tv shows from America than America imports from them.

Only because we make more shows. Most of the big UK programs make their way here. Much of ours make their way there. You might be surprised to learn however that US imports are generally niche viewing with low ratings. Just as in the reverse case!

That may be because advertising dollars earned from airing commercials means more money to make better shows.

I don't think the television landscape bears that out. In fact it's exceedingly difficult to think of the last time US television produced a Singing Detective or State of Play.

Ok, I just downloaded ep 2 of Harper's Island, and MKV file says it clocks in at 38:13?!?!?! Its like the future of short shows is here.....dude, That's like a deluxe ep of Three's Company!

Commercials=potty time, doggie potty time, get a snack time, do small household chores, make short phone calls, read a book, etc.

Commercials are very useful. :)

Back