Does buying Medicom figures make sense?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcollector

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm newer to 1/6 collecting and wanted to pose the question, does buying Medicom figures make sense or has Hot Toys truly captured this figure market?

Depends. I picked up Sweeney and Mad Hatter because I don't foresee Hot Toys doing these figures. If you have a choice between Hot Toys and Medicom, Hot Toys all the way!!

Apples and oranges IMO...

There's very few licenses that both companies hold, so...
for example, Medicom has: Star Wars, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Kamen Rider, Daft Punk, Akira, Ultraman, Kiss, Metal Gear Solid, lots of Johnny Depp characters, like Sweeny Todd, Ichabod Crane, Mad Hatter... a lot of these, HT will never have.

Medicom has great designs, but some people complain about the quality... I've always been happy with my Medicom figures, but they are not for everyone...
HT is more of a crowd pleaser, with more foreign licenses, and amazing quality, more bang for your buck though.

If you like them then it makes total sense... if you dont...?

It ain't rocket science.

Your question doesn't make sense...

Seriously though, I've been collecting 1/6 figures and other toys as an adult for the last 10 years, and I pretty much buy anything that catches my interest.

Sure, HT reigns supreme in the high-end market of Movie Licenses, as does DiD in the WWII high-end market.

That doesn't mean DML and Toys City WWII offerings are all redundant, or that there is no place for SST figures, or DCD super heroes, or Ignite Knights, or that all Medicom figures are unworthy.

If something looks nice and piques my interest, I'll buy it, and I feel my collection is the richer and more interesting for it.

I hope that makes sense.

My only issue with Medicom is that they are out of scale with both Sideshow and Hot Toys. They don't look right, generally, on the same shelf. But Medicom's product, with some noteable exceptions (as with any company) is pretty nice!

Only buy Medicom right now for anime type characters because their live action characters look like crap. I say right now, because they should be either merging or colaborating with Enterbay in the near future. I had bought Medicom in the past, but not anymore, unless they get better.

Scale is an issue with Medicom. As are paint apps, the fragility of the figures, the sculpts (frequently), and the quality of the clothing and accessories. Having said that, if you want Metal Gear, you buy Medicom or you don't buy. Like others have said, they have some really great, and some really wacky licenses that Hot Toys doesn't have and/or wouldn't touch (Phantom of the Paradise, for instance).

They don't seem to have evolved much at all over the last few years, while Hot Toys is continually doing new things and trying to get better (and succeeding).

Medicom figures are out of scale, I have a Batman figure from Batman Begins, it's very small, my HT Joker towers him by a lot. My last purchase from them was a Darth Vader figure, and what arrived was a smurf in a costume. After that I swore I'd never buy Medicom products ever.

They have great products and quality tho', the scale is my main issue with them.

If the license is exclusively medicom, there's your answer. Broken bodies are difficult to replace as for some reason medicom have stopped releasing their RAH nudes. Maybe truetype slim (I think) is compatible with some?

Maybe truetype slim (I think) is compatible with some?
None of the figures I have had have heads, hands, or feet that are compatible with Truetypes. You would need to do some modding to get those to work. Plus, the body would still be too tall, so the clothing wouldn't fit right. I had the stretchy Spidey outfit, and it fit pretty well, but I'm not sure how many Medi outfits are made of similar types of material.

I think if you have a choice between the Medicom version of a Character and either a Hot Toy or Sideshow I would usually pass on Medicom.

My biggest issue with Medicom is that they don't appear to be interested in improving their quality to match what companies like Enterbay or Hot Toys can do. Medicom is great if you like their style (smaller, more stylized and simplified figures) but they do stick out among a collection of HT, Dragon, EB and Sideshow figures.

I have a handful of Medicom figures that I love, but I've also sold off a lot of them when a better alternative (like the HT Wolverine) became available.

Also, don't buy them at retail... most of them tank on the secondary market and you can get $175 figures for $80 :lol

I checked out your other posts because I wasn't sure whether this was a troll thread... but here are my candid thoughts:

* If you want to pose all of your figures together, your medicom's will look absolutely ridiculous. When I started out collecting just a few months ago I thought I could live with the scale difference but realised I couldn't. I sold the two I bought.

* I have found medicom's bodies to be fragile owing to the brittle plastic used. Break these babies and good luck finding replacement bodies if you don't feel handy enough to do your own repairs

* they are expensive - even more so when you consider the lack of accessories

* depending on your climate, be prepared for any figure you get with a rubber-style suit to perish sooner or later

..having said all that, I've got a Kamen Rider on pre-order because it's a cool looking figure I won't be able to get anywhere else :)

I'm newer to 1/6 collecting and wanted to pose the question, does buying Medicom figures make sense or has Hot Toys truly captured this figure market?

I wouldn't say that Hot Toys has "captured the market". Medicom still carries a wide variety of licenses, and their figures are selling extremely well, even to this day. However, their products tends to focus more on Japanese pop-culture, which many of us in the "west" aren't familar with. If the stuff like "Kamen Rider" and "Kabuto" doesn't ring a bell (or doesn't interest you), then you should probably stay away from Medicom.

For all movie based collectibles, like Terminator, Batman, etc, stick with Hot Toys.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/dE-mxVxFXLg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/dE-mxVxFXLg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back