Does 1/4 Scale count as an Action Figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife thinks it's funny that when she was a little girl she used to play with dollies and now her husband does... they are manly action figures I tell you (shakes fist at sky whilst clutching manly boba fett dolly close to my chest). Objectively 1/6 scale articulated figures that wear clothes are dolls and I guess the same applies to 1/4 scale figures. But the lines become confused with mezco figures are they dolls or action figures and my Hot Toys 89 batman, that's a lump of rubber that can't move so maybe that's a statue.

Was action man (GI Joe to those on the other side of the pond to me) a dolly? Was I playing with dollies as kid as well.

My wife thinks it's funny that when she was a little girl she used to play with dollies and now her husband does... they are manly action figures I tell you (shakes fist at sky whilst clutching manly boba fett dolly close to my chest). Objectively 1/6 scale articulated figures that wear clothes are dolls and I guess the same applies to 1/4 scale figures. But the lines become confused with mezco figures are they dolls or action figures and my Hot Toys 89 batman, that's a lump of rubber that can't move so maybe that's a statue.

Was action man (GI Joe to those on the other side of the pond to me) a dolly? Was I playing with dollies as kid as well.
Personally, I view action figures as being coined because of gender biases that boys aren't supposed to play with dolls. :huh

I'm more than fine thinking of my my Hot Toys figures as expensive, realistic Barbies (and Kens). :cool:

I’m afraid so, Bravomite. I’m afraid so. Mego, Big Jim, Action Man, all conditioning us for our adult dollie days. They knew what they were doing.

I think the question is: Can the figure do action? If the figure can do action then it is an action figure.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wasn't action figure coined with the old 12" GI Joe figures so they wouldn't have to call them dolls? If that's the case then they're still action figures to me.

Varies by manufacturer I guess. HT and Diamond Select are poseable (Diamond even called them action figures), NECA not so much (but still have that action figure vibe).

Back