Do Actors buy Sculptures of Themselves

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NASEDO said:
I always wondered this. But do the actors know that a figure is being made? Does Buffy know SS made a PF of her?
I think they'd have to. Sideshow needs their approval for a likeness. But with Star Wars, the actors likeness rights are included with the license, so I think SSC doesn't have to get their approval, just from the license holder. (in this case Lucas Film)

Buttmunch said:
Are you saying you wouldn't like a figure of yourself made? I would think that would be any collector's deam would be made into a figure.

Great contest idea! Are you listening sideshow?

Long ago, at the Palisades website, Michael Horn was scanned by Gentle Giant, and they made a stormtrooper bust with his likeness. How cool would it be to be a Horntrooper!?!?

Gruson said:
Yes,

Arnold has a Cinemaquette of himself.

He also had a full size gold statue of himself made and you see it when you first walk into his house.

is that true? i know he had a lifesize gold statue of himself in the movie "Around the World in 80 Days", but his w/ the character he played, it made sense. i know he's vain in real life but please tell me he DOES NOT really have a gold statue.

I would love to have a 1:6th scale me! That would be too cool, the ultimate collectors dream.... Even though it would be a little strange..

And If I were famous, I'd collect figures of myself... If anything, just to marvel at the likeness.

If I had to be sculpted I would want to have a different body. Like a Stormtrooper or a LOTR outfit.

I read a story how McFarlane sent Christopher Walken the sculpt of his severed head for the Sleepy Hollow figure. Chris liked it so much that he kept it, not realizing that it was sent to him for approval and he was meant to send it back.

I have a figure of me. My wife and I did 12" wedding day us. More our style then the generic cake topper.

Darth Rage said:
Great contest idea! Are you listening sideshow?

Why make it a contest on the site? They should just have a Sideshow freaks contest where WE can be made into some of the military of Star Wars, LotR, or even some zombie figures if the Dead line ever continues. I think Sideshow would make a lot more people happy this way then by making Sideshow employees the basis of background characters (nothing wrong with that though). I for one would also love to be a Sideshow figure.

Mookeylama said:
is that true? i know he had a lifesize gold statue of himself in the movie "Around the World in 80 Days", but his w/ the character he played, it made sense. i know he's vain in real life but please tell me he DOES NOT really have a gold statue.

From what I am told by someone "in the business" it is true. This guy is pretty straight up and worked with Arnold on a couple of movies and had dinner at his house.

Mookeylama said:
i know he's vain in real life but please tell me he DOES NOT really have a gold statue.

He does. I was the one who posted that originally when we were talking about the T-850 CM. I won't get into the whole story about how I found out about this, but I have a friend who works with him and has been to his house.

He was the one who explained the statue to me. Apparently you can't miss it right when you go inside. I was told this about a year ago, so I assume he still lives at the same place.

I have another "person that has a statue of themselves" story about another much more minor celebrity, but it's not nearly as funny as the Arnold one. This one I saw myself so I have first hand knowledge. :horror

I worked in a convention where Brad Douriff (Grima Wormtongue) came and bought a Chucky (they trade the figure for some free autographs) figure because he make the voice, and as i know he is a collector of comics

occulum said:
Im sure Lance H. has a SS Frank Black.

one thing that always frustrates me is how celebs become famous and start making million$$ and thats when everyone wants to GIVE them stuff!
Charg'em DOUBLE I say. they can afford it now. (except for Lance, he's too damn nice)

:clap Exactly. Lance rocks.

On the subject of having your own figure, I heard there was somewhere you could have this done. It was a year or two ago. My memory isn't that good, but I recall it may have been at a theme park, and you stick your face in a machine. I don't know how good a likeness you could get from something so quick. I thought it would be a popular device. Never heard anymore about it.

hairlesswookiee said:
i say we all chip in and buy a han PF and sent it to harrison ford with a note saying "here's a present to you from your loyal fans, thanks for all the memories. you scruffy looking nerfherder!!!"

And if he doesn't want it, he can send it to my house!

creecher said:
:clap Exactly. Lance rocks.

On the subject of having your own figure, I heard there was somewhere you could have this done. It was a year or two ago. My memory isn't that good, but I recall it may have been at a theme park, and you stick your face in a machine. I don't know how good a likeness you could get from something so quick. I thought it would be a popular device. Never heard anymore about it.

There are plenty of GOOD custom sculptors that will sculpt a custom 1/6th scale portrait. I have plans to do this at some point in the near future. Since you have to take quite a few pictures to give to the sculptors for reference, I just want to have my hair grown at the perfect lenght (since the look will be immortalized forever) and then I plan on having this done...that is, when i have the money. When this does happen, then i will have my very own 1/6th scale jedi Zeiss :banana

Seth Green, the actor that played Oz in Buffy, is a figure and comics collector and I read he was really eager to have an action figure made of himself. That was like 5 years ago. I'm most sure he has now the SS 12" and the MAC figures and busts and he's a happy fella.

fat hobbitss said:
Seth Green, the actor that played Oz in Buffy, is a figure and comics collector and I read he was really eager to have an action figure made of himself. That was like 5 years ago. I'm most sure he has now the SS 12" and the MAC figures and busts and he's a happy fella.

lol, I was just about to post that! Apparently he's abit of a collector!

occulum said:
one thing that always frustrates me is how celebs become famous and start making million$$ and thats when everyone wants to GIVE them stuff!
Charg'em DOUBLE I say. they can afford it now. (except for Lance, he's too damn nice)

Companies give them stuff because their acceptance implies endorsement. If the stuff is wearable -- say, designer sunglasses -- and the celebrity is photographed wearing said stuff, and that picture runs in People magazine, it carries much more wallop than a normal advertisement in the same magazine with the same celebrity would.

I mean, look at the interest in this very thread. It's as if we feel more connected to the actors being captured in plastic if they've gazed on the same thing we have, or share our other interests. Remember how happy Sideshow was to let folks know Daniel Roebuck, who got blown to bits on "Lost," is a collector?

By the way, you'd be surprised how often actors' salaries are overstated. They don't correct published reports because no one would believe them anyway.

screamingmetal said:
I think they'd have to. Sideshow needs their approval for a likeness. But with Star Wars, the actors likeness rights are included with the license, so I think SSC doesn't have to get their approval, just from the license holder. (in this case Lucas Film)

In relation to this, I think I saw Carrie Fisher in an interview commenting on how Lucas owns her likeness. I believe she said "every time I look in the mirror, I have to pay Lucas some money".

With regard to actors owing figures of themselves - I just remembered that Conan O'brien had a custom G.I.Joe figure made of himself that he showed on his show.

-Ray

Back