Disucssion about Thor, power levels, abilities blah blah blah

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stan Lee wanted a character stronger than Hulk but he had already established Hulk as the strongest mortal so he created a God. Since Stan is their creator I go with his assessment.
The hammer is only an accessory.

OMG Hi GIZE

Yeah that's one of those things that alot of people do to tell the story. To tell said story you gotta make it seem fair. Tony got a 300% power upgrade during that fight. And he was still taking the beatings with Tony showing the worse for the wear before they decided he'd throw the hammer down on Cap for some reason.

Thor's kind of been Marvel's punching bag because

A) Hes not as popular as a Hulk or Wolverine
B) He can take the beating to sell more comics and movies.

As far as his power he's extremely powerful but often dumbed down to a blonde bombshell who can swing a hammer.

Initially Stan Lee brought the iconic god of Norse mythology tp be able to be the Supes of the Marvel U. He said after creating Hulk that he needed something that was more powerful than the most powerful man/minster: a god.

But as time went on and the Incredible Hulk TV show became a hit and Hulk's popularity in media and the fans skyrocketed you started to see the character take a backseat.

As far as his power levels are concerned in the comics on average his greatest showings are always in the cosmos or in one of the realms not named Midgard (Earth). He's about as strong as Hulk, nigh invulnerable in most cases (some writer took him out with a bullet but welcome to Marvel), does need Mjolnir to fly but can use it to fly at ridiculous speeds, has thousands of years of warrior combat experience, has a godblast rarely used as it could decimate the Earth and he can control the weather without his hammer. He can also use the hammer to teleport and has a belt of strength that makes him twice as strong.

Alot of his showings on Earth in the comics are due to his vowing to protect it and it's that heroic act that keeps him from going full out powerful. That has led to some beatdowns and bad writing on his part. But in the cosmos hes had some really great showings including pretty much winning most of his many battles with the Silver Surfer (the last one was a stalemate otherwise he's kicked his ***) and even taking on Celestials.

As far as Odin you can put him a step above Thanos but a step below Galactus. He's really powerful having plucked out one eye to understand the magic of the Runes.

As far as the movie is concerned he did pretty much go toe to toe with Hulk but some see alot of his moments as getting beat down by Iron Man and punched around by Hulk. Again that is all owed to the fact he can take a beating and get up from it.

So much like the comics even the great Whedon didnt know what to do with Thor in the movie. He had limited lines, kept the Hulk at bay with reason and took down more of the ships and aliens by using lightning than the entire team combined.

But people will remember the fella having the least amount of screen time and was on the opposite end of one of the funniest moments of the film by getting knocked off screen by Hulk.

That's Thor in a nutshell. Ridiculously powerful yet you cant really have him destroy everyone and everything, thus making the Avengers kind of obsolete in fighting and storytelling.

:goodpost: I took his facial expression when he crushed IM's arm not of struggling but more of him being pissed off. I've read another assessment that in the movie Thor would have eventually gotten the best of Tony had he fight gone on longer. Much like the Hulk would have with his fight with Thor.

I believe he simply didn't want to hurt Tony.

:goodpost: I took his facial expression when he crushed IM's arm not of struggling but more of him being pissed off. I've read another assessment that in the movie Thor would have eventually gotten the best of Tony had he fight gone on longer. Much like the Hulk would have with his fight with Thor.

As unclear as the films are when depicting Thors power levels, the scene in the forest was a pretty good indication that Thor held back. There's no denying that He could've destroyed tony, if he really wanted to. 3 instances show this. Tony slid thors face alongside a mountain and Thor had no scratches on him. Thor crushing Tony's arm. Exchanging of headbutts, resulting in a dented iron man helmet.

As for hulk. I dunno, I think that fight had no clear winner. Only because Thor was trying to subdue hulk, not kill him. I mean, if push came to shove...I'm sure it'd be more even, with Thor edging out just a bit.

Still though...I hope future installments featuring Thor will delve deeper into his abilities.

How do you explain him going postal on Cap with Mjolnir?

The avengers messed with the power levels of the Asguardians.

Thor didn't have his mega earth shattering hammer slam power, Loki didn't have his flinging magic daggers

And he was still taking the beatings with Tony showing the worse for the wear before they decided he'd throw the hammer down on Cap for some reason.

:lol :lol :lol

"For some reason." That's awesome, and totally true. Because seriously, what was Thor planning to do? Literally murder a random human with the full might of his power because he asked him a question? :rotfl

Yeah, WE all knew Cap would escape unscathed but it seems Thor should have lost the ability to lift his own hammer immediately after that kind of behavior. :D

Cap had just attacked him with his shield throw, as far as Thor was concerned, he was a combatant.

Well, he was pissed. Like someone said, another human is telling thor, son of Odin, to stop. Undoubtedly him bringing the hammer down was non lethal...

But I think the point of having Thor test the other 3 big avengers was a testament to human technology. First was tony and his armor, being able to fly and shoot beams...like a god. A serum, developed by another human, that can turn a normal human into Hercules, while equipped with an indestructible shield, also created by a human.

Then you have hulk. Through tech, made by humans, turns him into a rage monster with strength that rivals, and at times, even surpass the strength of actual gods.

Excellent observations. Wow what a bunch of professionals!

I think the bottom line storytelling and then production.

Whedon needed to tell a fluid story about what brought a group of alphas into one scenario in order to have them team up to work together. In my humble opinion he did a brilliant job.

He had to have Loki as his main baddy to appease the comic culture because that's who brought them together in the comic origin.

He had to interweave all the characters for previous films into one story as well which took some work.

Then he had to recreate the stigma of a jade giant that is second only to Spidey in comic and pop culture lore.

Finally he had to mash them all together to make a film the comic fans would love as well as the general population of moviegoers.

And he hit it out of the park. He truly made movie magic.

One of his greatest triumphs was his ability to showcase as much neutrality to the comic book enthusiasts who have a favorite character as well as making the debate grow to the general public.

"Wow Cap held his own against the hammer of a god after dropping out of a plane"

"Holy hell Hulk smashed but showed he is a flawed character"

"Did you see Widow outsmart Loki?"

"Thor got smashed! But damn he broke out of a cell meant for The Hulk and then flew to the Empire State Building and took down 1/4th of the fleet"

Etc etc etc.

Alas poor Hawkeye got the biggest shaft in my opinion. Cocky arrogant and a badass character reduced to Loki's cuckold for half the movie.

But the good news is if you want more of you're favorite characters to display their power set/bad assery we still have the solo movies including Thor: The Dark World and Cap 2: the Winter Soldier months away.

What a great time to be a movie lover and a freak!

Enjoy it fellas. It's the Golden Age of Epicness. We're basically in an Old Spice Commercial at this point.

CF79

Last edited:
Well, he was pissed. Like someone said, another human is telling thor, son of Odin, to stop. Undoubtedly him bringing the hammer down was non lethal...

But I think the point of having Thor test the other 3 big avengers was a testament to human technology. First was tony and his armor, being able to fly and shoot beams...like a god. A serum, developed by another human, that can turn a normal human into Hercules, while equipped with an indestructible shield, also created by a human.

Then you have hulk. Through tech, made by humans, turns him into a rage monster with strength that rivals, and at times, even surpass the strength of actual gods.

:goodpost::goodpost:

Excellent observations. Wow what a bunch of professionals!

I think the bottom line storytelling and then production.

Whedon needed to tell a fluid story about what brought a group of alphas into one scenario in order to have them team up to work together. In my humble opinion he did a brilliant job.

He had to have Loki as his main baddy to appease the comic culture because that's who brought them together in the comic origin.

He had to interweave all the characters for previous films into one story as well which took some work.

Then he had to recreate the stigma of a jade giant that is second only to Spidey in comic and pop culture lore.

Finally he had to mash them all together to make a film the comic fans would love as well as the general population of moviegoers.

And he hit it out of the park. He truly made movie magic.

One of his greatest triumphs was his ability to showcase as much neutrality to the comic book enthusiasts who have a favorite character as well as making the debate grow to the general public.

"Wow Cap held his own against the hammer of a god after dropping out of a plane"

"Holy hell Hulk smashed but showed he is a flawed character"

"Did you see Widow outsmart Loki?"

"Thor got smashed! But damn he broke out of a cell meant for The Hulk and then flew to the Empire State Building and took down 1/4th of the fleet"

Etc etc etc.

Alas poor Hawkeye got the biggest shaft in my opinion. Cocky arrogant and a badass character reduced to Loki's cuckold for half the movie.

But the good news is if you want more of you're favorite characters to display their power set/bad assery we still have the solo movies including Thor: The Dark World and Cap 2: the Winter Soldier months away.

What a great time to be a movie lover and a freak!

Enjoy it fellas. It's the Golden Age of Epicness. We're basically in an Old Spice Commercial at this point.

CF79

Outstanding post. In retrospect, Whedon did a masterful job. He had to please the studio, Comic book fans and the general audience. And he did it. Amazing.

Back