1/6 DID/3R GM651 Field Marshal Erwin Rommel (North Africa)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
DID 3R Rommel 1.jpg

Looks good in that teaser pic.

I'm not normally drawn to generals or leaders, but I may have to get Rommel in his tropical uniform.

This was once purported to be his actual uniform on display at the German Tank Museum in Munster (Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster):

Rommel's_Africa_uniform.jpg
Rommel's_Africa_uniform2.jpg

The wiki page for the museum explains:

Further special exhibits are the death mask of Erwin Rommel and his tunic, which was thought to be an original for a long time. The fake uniform is now exhibited with an explanation of how the forgery was discovered and why a museum has to examine its exhibits time and again.

So here's the real Rommel colourised...

Erwin-Rommel-Desert-Fox-colorized.jpg

A couple more reference photos:

Rommel 4.jpg

Rommel 6.jpg

And for medal placement:

Rommel 5.jpg

Hopefully they're not already applied to his tunic as the photos don't show him wearing any in the desert.

EDIT:

Looking at video unboxings of other 3R generals the medals were already attached to the tunics.

I tried to work out how they were fixed by checking my DAK Hauptmann Wilhelm, but it's hard to tell as the medals are so tight to the fabric. I think they may be pinned, which should make any signs of removal less obvious. There may be pinholes in Rommel's tunic in the first photo of this post, where the ribbon bar has been removed from above the pocket.

On another point, DID were so close to putting two complete uniforms in this set. He needed another shirt to make another figure with the shorts, tropical boots, socks and sun helmet.

I needed another pair of tropical boots though, to replace the mountain boots on the DAK figure I made from spare parts.

Someone wrote the same thing on the BBICN forum. The eyes seem better on the first one.
Yeah, I agree the eyes don't seem right. I think this is the 3rd Rommel from 3R but I'm still pretty happy with the first one.
I think 3R should make a Martin Bormann figure next, the Nazi who disappeared.

Love it! been wanting a more updated Desert fox rommel from 3R for a while, I do think on some of these newer DiD/3R figures the proportions are getting kind of weird looking I don't know if maybe its beacuse they are experimenting more with their newer shorter bodies that this happens but I have noticed it.

A couple more reference photos:

View attachment 609418

View attachment 609420

And for medal placement:

View attachment 609419

Hopefully they're not already applied to his tunic as the photos don't show him wearing any in the desert.

EDIT:

Looking at video unboxings of other 3R generals the medals were already attached to the tunics.

I tried to work out how they were fixed by checking my DAK Hauptmann Wilhelm, but it's hard to tell as the medals are so tight to the fabric. I think they may be pinned, which should make any signs of removal less obvious. There may be pinholes in Rommel's tunic in the first photo of this post, where the ribbon bar has been removed from above the pocket.

On another point, DID were so close to putting two complete uniforms in this set. He needed another shirt to make another figure with the shorts, tropical boots, socks and sun helmet.

I needed another pair of tropical boots though, to replace the mountain boots on the DAK figure I made from spare parts.
They use pins I have PTSD from putting together the General Patton figure they made a long time ago.

The tailoring and material has improved since their older releases, but there's a load of posts now on BBICN lamenting that DID's sculpting isn't as good as it used to be.

There was also a complaint about the goggles.

These are original British anti-gas goggles on a repro hat:

Rommel goggles2.jpg

DID have added too much of an arch to them, and the strap should also be black:

3R Rommel 17.jpg

Rommel 4.jpg

Rommel with his Leica III Rangefinder:

Rommel Leica III Rangefinder.jpg
Rommel Leica III Rangefinder2.jpg
Rommel Leica III Rangefinder1.jpg

The following is all from this page:

https://pravin73.wixsite.com/camera-sly/single-post/2017/05/01/rommels-leica-iii-rangefinder
Rommel Leica III Rangefinder3.jpg

In 1980, Gianni Rogliatti, a researcher discovers a letter in the Leica Wetzlar's archives. The correspondence is between Rommel and Leica's Dr Ernst Leitz. The letter was sent on 6 February 1943 with the letterhead bore the mark of the fearsome Panzerarmee Afrika".

The correspondence was addressed to Dr. Ernst Leitz, and Rommel gave thanks to him on his creation with camera serial number No. 375000. Rommel was a great admirer of the famous German camera, which he used with regularity and appreciated its legendary qualities.
TRANSLATION: Panzer army Africa The Supreme Commander Headquarters, 6 February 1943 To Mr. Dr. Ernst Leitz, owner of the company, G.m.b.H., Ernst Leitz Wetzlar. Dear Mr. Leitz I would like to express my Special thanks to the Leica camera 375000 I was sent. It will be a faithful companion in my future work, since I know from personal experience what value has the photo, not only as a souvenir but also as study material and knowledge. Thank you also for your good wishes, of which we will have soon particularly need.

Heil Hitler!

Rommel

General field marshal

BOOK EXTRACT: Discovering the Rommel Murder: The Life and Death of the Desert Fox by Charles F. Marshall:

Rommel Leica III Rangefinder4.jpg

Rommel Leica III Rangefinder5.jpg

BOOK EXTRACT: Masters of Battle: Monty, Patton and Rommel at War by Terry Brighton:

Rommel Leica III Rangefinder6.jpg

BOOK EXTRACT: Middle East and Africa: International Dictionary of Historic Places, edited by Trudy Ring, Noelle Watson, Paul Schellinger (Page 41):

Rommel Leica III Rangefinder7.jpg

BOOK EXTRACT: Fall Gelb 1940 (1): Panzer breakthrough in the West by Doug Dildy:

Rommel Leica III Rangefinder8.jpg

BOOK EXTRACT: My Dearest Lu by Andrew Villarreal (Page 84):

Rommel Leica III Rangefinder9.jpg

Of course, there's a simple way to make two figures (but not two Rommels) from one set even with the inclusion of one shirt.

As in the photos of their original Rommel, the scarf can be used to hide the missing shirt:

img_8776.jpg

As shown with the overcoat on the new figure:

3R Rommel 3.jpg

That frees up the shirt, once the field marshal shoulder boards and Pour le Mérite are removed, to use with the shorts, socks, tropical boots and sun helmet to make a random DAK soldier:

3R Rommel 7.jpg

The Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords is problematical since it's a rarity, but I think he needs an Iron Cross of some sort as there's no top button showing. If I'm taking the medals off his jacket, then the Iron Cross 1st Class might be able to be fitted to the ribbon instead.

The belt and holster could go with either figure, since Rommel was often photographed without them:

Rommel 7.png

Rommel 8.jpg
Rommel10.jpg

Rommel9.jpg

EDIT:

I tested a spare QMx Patrick Stewart sculpt under the same tropenhelm that's coming with Rommel, and he does look a bit like Rommel if you don't study him too closely. :lol

So, I might forgo faffing about with the Pour le Mérite and Knight's Cross and just have two 'Rommels'.

A few weeks ago I would have jumped on this preorder but I have too many kitbashes and spent a solid fortune this last few months on figures. I need to slow right down. Looks great but I'd be weathering that uniform straight away. Is there a price on this yet?

A few weeks ago I would have jumped on this preorder but I have too many kitbashes and spent a solid fortune this last few months on figures. I need to slow right down. Looks great but I'd be weathering that uniform straight away. Is there a price on this yet?

Giantoy have him listed for $214.99 including delivery:

https://giantoy.com/collections/pre-order/products/1-6-3r-gm651-erwin-rommel-action-figure

He's $20 more than the last figure, Jager, but he does come with more, including the extra tropical boots.

Looking for photos of Rommel wearing a tropenhelm, this one turned up a few times:

Rommel tropenhelm1.jpg

It's a postcard made to commemorate his fiftieth birthday on 15th November 1941.

Rommel tropenhelm2.jpg

This is the uncropped original photo:

Rommel tropenhelm3 full.jpg

A few more photos I found.

This one highlights that the Afrikakorps cuff band is missing from the 3R coat:

Rommel brown overcoat white scarf.jpg

Rommel visiting the Sollum front at Halfaya Pass, Libya on 2nd July, 1941:

Rommel Visiting the Sollum Front 2nd July 1941.jpg

One of the reasons Rommel was so popular with his troops - he wasn't afraid to get stuck in.

Seen here pushing his stuck Horch 901 Type 40 Kfz.15 staff car in N Africa 1941:

Rommel pushing his stuck Horch 901 Typ 40 Kfz.15 Command Car in N Africa 1941 2.jpg
Rommel pushing his stuck Horch 901 Typ 40 Kfz.15 Command Car in N Africa 1941.jpg

I've been thinking about the permutations of this set.

I don't really want two Rommels on display. The shirt, shorts, boots and tropenhelm would be put to better use creating a variation I don't yet have for a regular DAK soldier.

By the looks of it the set doesn't incorporate functioning buttons, but poppers as with Bialas, the last DID I got. That makes changing the clothes a lot easier.

I like the brown greatcoat look for Rommel, but it doesn't show off the tunic or breeches. So I'm thinking of using the stock body and sculpt with the tunic, breeches, riding boots and cap. I'll remove the medals from the tunic. Rather than put the scarf on him to hide the missing shirt, I have a white shirt I can paint olive so the Knight's Cross and Pour le Mérite can be worn.

It wouldn't take much to make a third figure from the greatcoat and scarf - just sculpt. boots and cap.

Maybe just me, but I think the first 3R Rommel has the greatest likeness.

tC5QlrL.jpg
Not wrong - i had 2 of these in 2011. Still have my boxed one. Head is defo a better likeness. Still might get the new one as well though.....

https://weibo.com/didcorp
DiD_Corp

1 hour ago
From the iPhone client

This is the latest version of the head sculpt
[kiss]
[Too happy]
[wink]

@3Reich
Hi, here is the updated sculpt of GM651 Erwin Rommel General Field Marshal of German Afrika Korps, the Desert Fox. Hope you will like him. @DiD_Corp

3R Rommel updated sculpt 1.jpg
3R Rommel updated sculpt 2.jpg
3R Rommel updated sculpt 3.jpg
3R Rommel updated sculpt 4.jpg
3R Rommel updated sculpt 5.jpg

(Weibo seems to be the only place where DID aren't afraid to connect themselves with their 3R brand).

Back