DCD 13" Joker & Harley Quinn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't mind me asking Andy but what other things are you suggesting to DCD regarding this line? Any chance for a fix on the cut joints and wrists?

Unfortunately "suggesting things" to DCD is futile, their design/production decisions are not influenced by anyone outside their main office, including us measly sculptors. :)

Sorry Natrix! Didn't see your question. :eek:

Unfortunately "suggesting things" to DCD is futile, their design/production decisions are not influenced by anyone outside their main office, including us measly sculptors. :)

Sorry Natrix! Didn't see your question. :eek:

Well that sucks man. Maybe they'll come to there senses.

Hey Andy just want to tell you that you ROCK!
I'm a huge fan of your work, and you're pretty much the only reason I haven't dropped the 13" line.
I really loved how Harley turned out. Your sculpts have so far been able to capture a striking iconic resemblance of the characters in a very realistic way. It's really quite fantastic!

I'm really curious though as to how you approach sculpting the heads; how do you choose which eras or artist renditions to draw inspiration from? And do DCD give you enough of a free reign to interpret the characters in your own way?

I'm also very happy with the Joker, lazy eye aside... did you work on it? I can't find the credits as to who sculpted him, but it sure looks like your work. Is the upcoming Supergirl done by you too?

Anyways thanks for the great work, I intend to collect every single 13" figure you sculpt. Cheers!

I had stopped buying the DCD 13" figures but was on the fence about the Joker. After looking at him at the store, I was greatly dissapointed. There is just too much gum in his smile. It makes him look like he is the result of in-breeding.

I think he's a very interesting sculpt. The exposed gums and bad teeth creep me out too, but in a good way. I think the villains Andy's doing (including the upcoming Sinestro) are stealing the show in the 13" line.

I had second thoughts about picking these up but I'm glad I did. Joker and Harley have become two of my favorite figures, they're colorful and very interesting to look at.

Hi memecomplex,

Thanks for the kind words!

To answer your questions, I did not work on Supergirl or Joker. Joker was sculpted by Tim Bruckner, and I *think* Supergirl was sculpted by Jack Matthews (or possibly James Shoop, I'm not sure about that one). I've sculpted a couple dozen heads for the line, only about half of which have been announced/released so far. So there's plenty more coming down the pipeline. :)

As for approaching a headsculpt, the art director usually gives me an actor/actress to aim for with the likeness as a starting point, then there is a little bit of leeway to interpret that. For instance, the upcoming Sgt. Rock portrait was loosely based on singer Henry Rollins, Batgirl was loosely based on Kiera Knightly, Harley was loosely based on Katherine Heigl, etc. I emphasize "loosely" because there's a bit of stylization that occurs (and there are obviously no rights in place to produce likenesses of those people). For other more comic-based portraits like Shazam, Green Arrow or Sinestro, the art director will generally just give me a couple clips of art to go by and I'll use that as a starting point.

There's less artistic freedom with these sculpts than you might think, the art directors are often pretty specific about the looks they want. But they are fun to work on.

Now if only I can convince them to let me sculpt the heads in scale with those giant bodies.

I am so glad someone finally said it! This is the reason I don't collect these figures, they look so wonky with their tiny heads. But as always Andy your work still work shines through "the suck" bodies. Also Andy are you DCDirect exclusive? I mean if you don't mind me asking.

Very cool Andy thanks for the insights! Fascinating!

I can vaguely see your starting point with the Harley and Batgirl headsculpts, but still it's uncanny how they translate so well into a real-life reinterpretation of the characters. The Harley face in particular captures her spirit perfectly, it feels like a Dodson drawing made flesh:) It's just lovely~

I'm definitely looking forward to more of your headsculpts for this line, please let us know what to look out for once they're announced. I'm a little miffed by DCD's inconsistency in crediting the sculptors.

And wow the Joker was done by Tim Brucker? Your Harley and Tim's Joker, now that's what I call a match made in heaven (or hell in this case)!

If it's not too much trouble could you perhaps list the past 13" headsculpts you've done? I think Shazam is the only one I'm missing. Thanks again!

For instance, the upcoming Sgt. Rock portrait was loosely based on singer Henry Rollins, Batgirl was loosely based on Kiera Knightly, Harley was loosely based on Katherine Heigl, etc. I emphasize "loosely" because there's a bit of stylization that occurs (and there are obviously no rights in place to produce likenesses of those people). For other more comic-based portraits like Shazam, Green Arrow or Sinestro, the art director will generally just give me a couple clips of art to go by and I'll use that as a starting point. There's less artistic freedom with these sculpts than you might think, the art directors are often pretty specific about the looks they want. But they are fun to work on.

It would be cool if DCD went the HT Military route and hid celebrity likeness in there.

Deak Starkiller-- Yes I agree the majority of the heads are too small for the bodies. I understand the concept behind their reasoning for it, but I think it just looks awkward. Also, yes I'm currently exclusive with DCD until the end of November.

Memecomplex-- The past DCD 13" figure portraits I've sculpted that come to mind are:

1. Shazam
2. Martian Manhunter
3. Bizarro
4. Green Arrow
5. Batgirl
6. Harley Quinn
7. Sandman
8. Sgt. Rock
9. Black Canary
10. Sinestro
11. Comedian (Watchmen)
12. Dr. Manhattan (Watchmen)
13. Rorshach (Watchmen)

And a handful more that are yet to be announced.

I like how in the 1st pic Nightwing seems to be looking at Catwomans chest.
LOL:lol
:chew

Yeah those two should just hook up, they're the only modern age variants I have... well technically Power Girl is also modern age, but she's close enough. Incidentally, I love how Nightwing's headsculpt is pretty believable as the grown-up version of the Robin headsculpt.

Memecomplex-- The past DCD 13" figure portraits I've sculpted that come to mind are:

1. Shazam
2. Martian Manhunter
3. Bizarro
4. Green Arrow
5. Batgirl
6. Harley Quinn
7. Sandman
8. Sgt. Rock
9. Black Canary
10. Sinestro
11. Comedian (Watchmen)
12. Dr. Manhattan (Watchmen)
13. Rorshach (Watchmen)

And a handful more that are yet to be announced.

Looks like I have quite a backlog!

Rorshach? You mean he's not just a blank head under that mask? I wasn't going to get this figure, but now I might just have to.

And fantastic job on the Comedian Andy, you really nailed that one! I just wish DCD didn't use the standard ultra beefy body on the movie figures. I can accept the proportions on the comic figures, but they're a harder sell on the movie figures.

On that note, I hope DCD gives us an improved body soon. Cut joints simply don't go with spandex!

Here a few pics I took of Harley last night.

PICT0072.jpg

PICT0074.jpg

Great poses, but Heath's Joker seems way too disinterested!
I think classic Joker with his outrightly pervy expression makes for a better partner for Harley. :lol

Hmm just noticed that Harley's gun actually has a "working" trigger. Pulling the trigger cocks the hammer back. You can also load the gun with four bullets which I promptly lost and spent the last hour looking for. Had to recreate the trajectory a few times before finding the last one! phew~

Back