DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

I'd expect them to ditch the electronic packaging and offer a set like they did in the Icons line, with no accessories for $100. Or they could toss in some extra hands and maybe a few iconic props (Arthur's trident, Diana's lasso) and stands for another $75.

Aquaman wasn’t part of the original 7 in the DCAU

Interesting. I guess a 7-pack makes the most sense, although it is going to be pretty pricey. If the Rouges Gallery 5-pack can be used for reference, a 7-pack of the JL is going to cost ~$250...

I realize this is just a random estimate, but that would come out to $50 a figure. Those *****s would have to be Figuarts quality or better at that price lol. I'd love a 7 pack, but I wouldn't pay anything over $120 (with accessories), or $100 without.

Not quite random: Each figure in that 5-pack costs $35 and that's for B-list characters. If you instead use the "girl's night out" 4-pack for reference, each figure is $20. However, those figures are much smaller than average. So, the most conservative estimate is $20 x 5 = $120. However, most of the JL has a bigger frame than any of the GNO characters. I don't think it's going to be cheaper than the Rouges Gallery 5-pack though...

Last edited:

You can reduce prices if they release a JL pack if they come on a pack like the one from GNO and not something like the rouge gallery

I could be wrong, but I thought the rumours of that DCC JL 7 pack were the year before last? And that people were hoping/expecting to see it at last years ToyFair and SDCC but it never showed?

Also related, last month Diamond released a list of cancellations, and 3 DCC figures were on that cancelled list, comprising of Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, and Superman. It looked like this:

NOV169022 JUSTICE LEAGUE ANIMATED GREEN LANTERN AF 4
NOV169023 JUSTICE LEAGUE ANIMATED HAWKGIRL AF 4
NOV169025 JUSTICE LEAGUE ANIMATED SUPERMAN AF 4

But they were never solicited in the first place which is very strange. These are core JL characters to that you would expect to be in the rumoured 7 pack too, so even stranger that they're showing up as singles. Or not showing up at all now as the case is.

Not quite random: Each figure in that 5-pack costs $35 and that's for B-list characters. If you instead use the "girl's night out" 4-pack for reference, each figure is $20. However, those figures are much smaller than average. So, the most conservative estimate is $20 x 5 = $120. However, most of the JL has a bigger frame than any of the GNO characters. I don't think it's going to be cheaper than the Rouges Gallery 5-pack though...

You can't just ignore the cost of the packaging in the GCPD 5-pack. DCC's MSRP for single figures was $28. Multiplied by five and you get $140, which is what many etailers charged as a discount for pre-ordering. In other words most of the profit margin was built into the packaging.

Also the "Girl's Night Out" set is an $80 5-pack. At the time single figures were $25 each but the 5-pack only came with stands, no other accessories. What could have been a $150 set (five $25 figures plus accessories) is a pretty decent bargain even without props. Even the paint apps on the reissued figures are generally considered to be superior.

I really wouldn't expect a 7-pack to have an MSRP higher than $175, even with all-new sculpts and accessories. The Icons 7-pack didn't include accessories and that was priced at $100. Unless DCC includes multiple hands, stands, portraits, and props, the perceived value won't be there.

I could be wrong, but I thought the rumours of that DCC JL 7 pack were the year before last? And that people were hoping/expecting to see it at last years ToyFair and SDCC but it never showed?

Also related, last month Diamond released a list of cancellations, and 3 DCC figures were on that cancelled list, comprising of Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, and Superman. It looked like this:

NOV169022 JUSTICE LEAGUE ANIMATED GREEN LANTERN AF 4
NOV169023 JUSTICE LEAGUE ANIMATED HAWKGIRL AF 4
NOV169025 JUSTICE LEAGUE ANIMATED SUPERMAN AF 4

But they were never solicited in the first place which is very strange. These are core JL characters to that you would expect to be in the rumoured 7 pack too, so even stranger that they're showing up as singles. Or not showing up at all now as the case is.

Hmm...hopefully that doesn't mean we aren't getting JL figures...

Hmm...hopefully that doesn't mean we aren't getting JL figures...

This would be the ideal release format for me. I only want Batman, and he'd be a pain to get if DCC goes with a seven pack. If they do opt for the multi-pack method, I hope they release Batman single-carded like they did for the Icons Rebirth figure.

I don't think DCC can release 1:12 scale figures individually because of Mattel's rights. At best they'll release 2-packs like the Superman & Lois set for $50 as not to step on the master toy licensee's very expensive toes.

That doesn’t make much sense. I mean, why stop DCC selling 1:12 figures individually but let them sell 1:12 figures in multipacks? It doesn’t really restrict them too much. DCC could still get the figures out they wanted to as singles but just in multipacks instead. If you don’t want them selling 1:12 then don’t let them do it at all. And what about the Joker and Harley expressions packs? Are they not classed as individual figures?

It doesn’t doesn’t add up to me. The DCC Animated Series line has been going for years. Mattel has had years to stop them. Why now? And why stop them only selling singles and not multipacks?

The only figure left that I really want from this line is Gray Ghost. Sure, Two-Face, and Scarecrow would be nice, but Gray Ghost, to me, would be awesome. It's such a great episode with two iconic Batman actors who have given so much to the character. Hopefully he gets made before the line ends. Even if the line does end, I wouldn't mind seeing him in statue form.

I'd love a Grey Ghost also along with a few other Batman characters and I do hope they continue with Superman and Justice league

That doesn’t make much sense. I mean, why stop DCC selling 1:12 figures individually but let them sell 1:12 figures in multipacks? It doesn’t really restrict them too much. DCC could still get the figures out they wanted to as singles but just in multipacks instead. If you don’t want them selling 1:12 then don’t let them do it at all. And what about the Joker and Harley expressions packs? Are they not classed as individual figures?

It doesn’t doesn’t add up to me. The DCC Animated Series line has been going for years. Mattel has had years to stop them. Why now? And why stop them only selling singles and not multipacks?

It's not just about the scale but about the price point. If I were paying as much for the DC license as Mattel is I sure wouldn't want the friggin' licensor undermining my exclusive rights with its own line of DC figures.

I get the impression the 6" Animated line was flying under the radar until someone at Mattel noticed it wasn't a 6.75" line like other DCC lines. Mattel might have let it slide but then DCC started soliciting the same figures as Mattel at the same time (Legends of Tomorrow's Atom, for example). I'm sure that ticked off execs at both Mattel AND WB Consumer Products.

So now the 6" Icons line is essentially dead because it was competing with Mattel's 6" line. (That line also tried switching to multipacks.) DCC has gone back to Essentials (no pun intended) in the 6.75" scale for comic-based figures but the TV line has been canceled, a facet Mattel also covered in their Multiverse line. I also suspect the reason DCC's DOA Film line was so unreasonably overpriced was to appease Mattel.

Now the Animated line has stopped offering single figures despite there being at least one or two more viable assortments of Batman characters alone, never mind Superman and Batman Beyond. DCC's MSRPs for the line aren't under $50, which is apparently acceptable to Mattel since 1) they don't sell figures at that retail price and 2) they aren't currently offering figures based on BTAS.

Yet.

We should know more by the end of this weekend.

It's not just about the scale but about the price point. If I were paying as much for the DC license as Mattel is I sure wouldn't want the friggin' licensor undermining my exclusive rights with its own line of DC figures.

I get the impression the 6" Animated line was flying under the radar until someone at Mattel noticed it wasn't a 6.75" line like other DCC lines. Mattel might have let it slide but then DCC started soliciting the same figures as Mattel at the same time (Legends of Tomorrow's Atom, for example). I'm sure that ticked off execs at both Mattel AND WB Consumer Products.

So now the 6" Icons line is essentially dead because it was competing with Mattel's 6" line. (That line also tried switching to multipacks.) DCC has gone back to Essentials (no pun intended) in the 6.75" scale for comic-based figures but the TV line has been canceled, a facet Mattel also covered in their Multiverse line. I also suspect the reason DCC's DOA Film line was so unreasonably overpriced was to appease Mattel.

Now the Animated line has stopped offering single figures despite there being at least one or two more viable assortments of Batman characters alone, never mind Superman and Batman Beyond. DCC's MSRPs for the line aren't under $50, which is apparently acceptable to Mattel since 1) they don't sell figures at that retail price and 2) they aren't currently offering figures based on BTAS.

Yet.

We should know more by the end of this weekend.

What's this weekend?

Heads up!

I just received my new Batcave stickers from BBTS. I had asked about them awhile ago and let them know I wanted them. They arrived today out of the blue. So everyone that ordered from BBTS should be getting them soon. I'm not sure if you had to let them know you wanted them or not, so it wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email saying you want them.

One one hand, it's good to see that the DCAU is still in demand enough for licensees to take a chance on it.

On the other hand, if Mattel thinks there's enough demand, they'll be putting out their own Animated line of figures.

MisterPL, I’ve seen you mention many times (on here and on The Fwoosh) your belief that Mattel will be doing their own line of Animated Series figures. I assume this is pure speculation on your part, and that you don’t have insider info, so I’m very curious as to what makes you believe this so strongly?

From my own point of view, I just don’t see that happening at all. For one thing, who would the market be? Surely those who love BTAS and action figures have already bought the DCC figures? Would trying to sell the same figures again to collectors who already have them be a smart move? And would said collectors want to spend as much as they already have on DCC figures for new Mattel ones? And if not aimed at collectors, then who? Kids who don’t know BTAS that well? And even if kids liked the look of them, would moms pay $25 (or whatever Mattel’s going rate for collector’s figures is) for them for their kids? Not to mention they’d be putting these figures out into a market already still filled with the DCC figures which can be readily found at comic stores. Sure, the Mattel figures would be in brick-and-mortar stores, but what extra audience would that get them other than kids and moms? I don’t know many collectors who ONLY shop at chain stores and not at comic shops or online. The only collectors I see buying Mattel BTAS figures are those who don’t like DCC for a specific reason so didn’t buy their figures.

For another thing, Mattel don’t really have specific lines as such anymore. They have an all encompassing DC collectors line, so IF they did make BTAS figures then they’d be mixed in with their Multiverse line. That means they’d only make one or two figures. What would be the point? Would collectors who already own the DCC figures - or even those who don’t - want just two or three Mattel BTAS figures and that’s it?

I do get what you’re thinking. Mattel have seen the BTAS 6inch figures sell very well and want a slice of the action. But I just feel it’s too late for that really. They needed to get in the game when DCC only had a few waves out, not after DCC have pumped out 50+ figures and a range of vehicles/playsets.

So yeah, I’m just curious why you feel so strongly this will happen, cos I just don’t see it.

Back