dc direct 13 inch question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most folks in this hobby like to kitbash and customize their figures. if Dc had produced a heavily muscled well articulated 12 inch figure, the 1/6th community would be in heaven.

instead we get vastly overpriced giant bodies with articulation from 1993. :monkey2

I guess I can understand that; my main beefs with the DCDs are the ugly cut joints, the lack of a fully functional wrist joint, and those awful "bendy" hands (does anyone know if the upcoming Green Arrow will have sculpted hands to enable him to hold his bow?). Like Dave, I've made my peace with them, though, and they look fantastic displayed together!

I recently got Robin to kitbash for a "normal" tall person in 1/6th scale. I terms of feet they are the most realistically scaled examples I've come across. The belt buckle was tricky to remove as it is with the other figures. I really can't stand the replaceable hand design because they pop out very easily, at least on Sups, Bats and GL and therefore eliminate any play factor (that's if you do that), and I wish they made grasping hands that are pretty standard with most brands.

It looks like Ollie at least has a drawing hand from the pics, but the hand holding his bow looks like the bendy. I'm hoping he'll have more hand sets like Batgirl and Robin did.

It looks like Ollie at least has a drawing hand from the pics, but the hand holding his bow looks like the bendy. I'm hoping he'll have more hand sets like Batgirl and Robin did.

Both hands in that picture look like bendies to me. The fingers on the drawing hand have a curve to them, no definition for knuckles.

They do display really well togther on their own. Look at my collection in my sig! I have them all by themselves on the one shelf. I love them!

That is true, when displayed together they are extremely impressive. I too have gotten over the scale and learned to love these figures.
The only reasons I could think that they made these figures so big is:

1 - As mentioned before, to make them stand out as super-heroes, god-like in stature.

2 - So they would not be confused with other 1/6 brands. When you see DC Direct Deluxe figures you know exactly what line they are from.

Please go with me on this one guys. Does anyone here remember Jem from the 80's? Little known fact for us male kids of the 80's, the Jem figures by Hasbro were not in scale with the competition, Mattel's Barbie. Barbie figures are 11" tall while the Jem figures were 12 1/2" tall.
Why do this, you ask, well if you think about it there is some method in this madness. For one, you cannot mix and match with the competition, if you want accesories or even extras like vehicles you would have to buy everything from Hasbro, or in this reguard, DC Direct. This guarantees that if you want to buy DC super hero figures they will have to be from DC Direct. There is also less of a chance of people copying the figures or even customizing them. Though I have seen some great customs of DC Direct figures turned into Captain America or Red Son Superman or Golden Age Superman. But the message is if you want new characters in this line, you have to buy DC Direct figures to make them or else they won't fit in with your other figures. They have made there own niche in the 1/6 scale world.

I guess I can understand that; my main beefs with the DCDs are the ugly cut joints, the lack of a fully functional wrist joint, and those awful "bendy" hands (does anyone know if the upcoming Green Arrow will have sculpted hands to enable him to hold his bow?). Like Dave, I've made my peace with them, though, and they look fantastic displayed together!

Its just if you take the above problems and add the odd scale it becomes a tougher sale. Still cool figures, but would have had a wider audience if in a truer 1//6 scale thats all.

I think the scale wouldn't bother me as much if I liked more DC characters to buy and display them with.

I like the DC characters but the scale really is a turn off. I like consistency when displaying my collectibles and the DC figures are just too big. That said, I am def. interested in getting the two Superman and Batman figures from this line because I am in the process of creating a shrine for all things Superman and Batman.:D

Back