Premium Format DC Comics Superman Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Byrne created some of the most iconic, definitive versions of characters around. Loved his work in the late '70s/'80s.

Yep. When he was paired up with Terry Austin his work was brilliant. The X-MEN run with the 2 of them is some of the best artwork ever in comics. Byrne's run on the Avengers was incredible as well. He's one of the best to have worked in the industry. Byrne and Perez have always been my favorite artists.

Wow, this is looking really good. I'm not usually that into PF's or Superman but I'm really liking how this is turning out :clap

Yeah, so epic looking isn't it? I think in person it is going to blow our minds. I am just praying QC on him is locked down. :pray:

John Byrne created some of the most iconic, definitive versions of characters around. Loved his work in the late '70s/'80s.

The same will be said about Lee by this generation when they get to be our ages, and it would be true as well.

The same will be said about Lee by this generation when they get to be our ages, and it would be true as well.

The Two can't be compared. Lee only drew 12 issues of one of the worst Superman Stories I've ever read, Designed The Character Look of one Video Game that has Superman in it and Designed the new 52 costumes. Everything else he's done for Superman has been Pin-ups and Covers.

John Byrne Drew and Wrote the Superman Mini Series that revamped the character For Decades, Wrote and Drew on Two monthly Superman titles, Did Subsequent Mini's and redefined Superboy,

What's next? Comparing Lee to Frank Miller's work on Batman?:slap

I have to agree. Lee can't compare to Byrne at all when it comes to their work on Superman. Byrne did a lot more.

Lee gave us the high collar, no trunks, lots of extraneous lines and seams, no spit curl, brooding, generic "Superman".

Byrne gave us Superman.

The Two can't be compared. Lee only drew 12 issues of one of the worst Superman Stories I've ever read, Designed The Character Look of one Video Game that has Superman in it and Designed the new 52 costumes. Everything else he's done for Superman has been Pin-ups and Covers.

John Byrne Drew and Wrote the Superman Mini Series that revamped the character For Decades, Wrote and Drew on Two monthly Superman titles, Did Subsequent Mini's and redefined Superboy,

What's next? Comparing Lee to Frank Miller's work on Batman?:slap

are you saying that the story lines from back then are better then the ones from today? that the art is better? if it's something, is nostalgic or as record collectors describe, organic, but superior? no, they hold a special place in peoples memories from childhood and such, but better then todays no, anyway nobody is comparing anything, i'm just saying for this generation and future, jim lee will hold a similar if not greater spot, just "cause you don't see it that way doesn't mean it's not true.

and hush was a bad story line? your judgement is defenetly questionable and should be read and instantly forgotten....

....what were we talking about again?...:wave

I have to agree. Lee can't compare to Byrne at all when it comes to their work on Superman. Byrne did a lot more.

Lee gave us the high collar, no trunks, lots of extraneous lines and seams, no spit curl, brooding, generic "Superman".

Byrne gave us Superman.
i agree totally but im not comparing, it's different eras, times change and if all those characters never changed they would have died.

are you saying that the story lines from back then are better then the ones from today? that the art is better? if it's something, is nostalgic or as record collectors describe, organic, but superior? no, they hold a special place in peoples memories from childhood and such, but better then todays no, anyway nobody is comparing anything, i'm just saying for this generation and future, jim lee will hold a similar if not greater spot, just "cause you don't see it that way doesn't mean it's not true.

and hush was a bad story line? your judgement is defenetly questionable and should be read and instantly forgotten....

....what were we talking about again?...:wave

Actually art from a new era doesn't automatically make it better. If that were the case then there would be no reason to study master work for art classes. And yes, some of the older art does make the newer stuff look like crap. Just because some highly stylized flash in the pan is a hit for today's ADD audience that doesn't mean it's superior.

And I'm not going to sit here and tell you Byrne's pencils beat Jim Lee's, what I am going to tell you is that Jim Lee's foot print on Superman isn't anywhere near as Large as Byrne's and never will be. You can not Compare "For Tomorrow" with "Man of Steel". Jim Lee will never be known as "the Guy who made Superman what he is today". It's just not going to happen I don't care how much you kiss the ground he walks on.

And as for Hush, little secret, Jim Lee penciled Hush. That's it, it's Jeph Leob story that Jim Lee drew. It's a good story, with nice flashy art.

It is not nor will it ever be the deconstruction of Batman that The Dark Knight Returns is, nor will it ever be the amazing origin story of Year One. Comparing anything Jim Lee has ever worked on to any of these comics is pretty much Nerd Blasphemy.

It's like Comparing a Warhol, who is a Good artist, to Michelangelo's Pieta.

Hopefully this is the last Jim Lee is a comic God discussion I have to have.

Actually art from a new era doesn't automatically make it better. If that were the case then there would be no reason to study master work for art classes. And yes, some of the older art does make the newer stuff look like crap. Just because some highly stylized flash in the pan is a hit for today's ADD audience that doesn't mean it's superior.

And I'm not going to sit here and tell you Byrne's pencils beat Jim Lee's, what I am going to tell you is that Jim Lee's foot print on Superman isn't anywhere near as Large as Byrne's and never will be. You can not Compare "For Tomorrow" with "Man of Steel". Jim Lee will never be known as "the Guy who made Superman what he is today". It's just not going to happen I don't care how much you kiss the ground he walks on.

And as for Hush, little secret, Jim Lee penciled Hush. That's it, it's Jeph Leob story that Jim Lee drew. It's a good story, with nice flashy art.

It is not nor will it ever be the deconstruction of Batman that The Dark Knight Returns is, nor will it ever be the amazing origin story of Year One. Comparing anything Jim Lee has ever worked on to any of these comics is pretty much Nerd Blasphemy.

It's like Comparing a Warhol, who is a Good artist, to Michelangelo's Pieta.

Hopefully this is the last Jim Lee is a comic God discussion I have to have.

you bark the same stuff but still fail to see that i wasnt trying to compare anything, you came out and said this is good and that is not, you seem very angry on the subject, almost seems like you're offended when someone has a different opinion then you, in the end art is a matter of perspective, and wether you like it or not people are gonna like what you may not think is good, and that doesnt make them less "smart" then you, it makes them individuals.

As for hush i'm fully aware of how comics work, and who did what in it, I own the series, the comics, I actually followed it monthly :hi5:

you bark the same stuff but still fail to see that i wasnt trying to compare anything, you came out and said this is good and that is not, you seem very angry on the subject, almost seems like you're offended when someone has a different opinion then you, in the end art is a matter of perspective, and wether you like it or not people are gonna like what you may not think is good, and that doesnt make them less "smart" then you, it makes them individuals.

As for hush i'm fully aware of how comics work, and who did what in it, I own the series, the comics, I actually followed it monthly :hi5:

Ha, angry, that'd be funny wouldn't. You see when you say Jim Lee's work will be "this" just like John Byrne's work is "this" you are comparing, intentional or not. To say that his work will be seen in the same light is a comparison to show similarity.

I was going to write out a whole technical art rant to answer you but to be quite honest it isn't worth the time. So enjoy Jim Lee's work and have a nice one. :duff

Ha, angry, that'd be funny wouldn't. You see when you say Jim Lee's work will be "this" just like John Byrne's work is "this" you are comparing, intentional or not. To say that his work will be seen in the same light is a comparison to show similarity.

I was going to write out a whole technical art rant to answer you but to be quite honest it isn't worth the time. So enjoy Jim Lee's work and have a nice one. :duff

thank you! i apreciate it, in reality conversation like this go nowhere, specially when someone gets fixated on something. cheers :duff

so that is clear i like all the classic stories and art, and i also like the modern stuff, in a different light of course, i was just pointing out a probability. :peace

I would put a lot of the "old" comic artists against any of the guys today. Byrne's stuff holds up very well. Neal Adams . . . his old stuff beat just about everything produced today.

The technology of reproduction and printing and coloring have improved so much that today's art shows better, but put Neal Adam's pencils with today's production values and you'd have stuff that surpasses anything in today's comics.

Of course Adams is still producing work and some of it is quite nice, but his old stuff is even better.

I would put a lot of the "old" comic artists against any of the guys today. Byrne's stuff holds up very well. Neal Adams . . . his old stuff beat just about everything produced today.

The technology of reproduction and printing and coloring have improved so much that today's art shows better, but put Neal Adam's pencils with today's production values and you'd have stuff that surpasses anything in today's comics.

Of course Adams is still producing work and some of it is quite nice, but his old stuff is even better.

So even if its the same artist his past stuff still better? Lol

Back