Dark Phoenix PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
care to elaborate? People are getting 5% off her right now. do you disagree? are they lying?

Name one exclusive (outside of maybe a variant that had a tiny edition size) in the past few years where collectors who got immediately on the waitlist did not convert.

look forward to your response.

Power Girl. Game over :wave

Lol, people who jumped on the waitlist got her converted. Usual Ink spilling BS.

You joke but thats actually the sculpt I prefer.

Yes but, genuine curiosity here: would you pay an inflated price for it? Like, more than 50$ above retail? Would you scramble to get the Ex? Feel like you missed out if you only got the Regular, especially given how good the statue came out overall?

That's my point. It's a nice little extra... but that's it. Rulk and Ink are trying to make a point like if it's some kind of essential piece to hype things up for the sake of it and to oppose to those who point out that ordering straight away is now pretty much pointless. Between the 5-10% discounts and the guaranteed WL conversion by jumping on it early, we all know that ordering immediatly is not necessary at all.
Which is why people like Ink and Rulk pop in a thread, spill some random statement and then disappear when actual facts (provided, for example, by ambasah here) disprove what they say.
And this is coming from someone who ordered the DP Exclusive just a few days after preorder, I have no issue in saying that I did it without thinking too much about possible discounts and such, but at the same time I have to admit that there's absolutely no point in doing it.
I see why people order immediatly with light heart because I mostly do the same, but at the same time I won't try to deny that playing it smart and waiting IS a safe game that can make things cheaper with a little attention, which is why I don't try to talk down people who point it out.

Been collecting ss over 10 years and I know there are still pieces people want but miss out on due to waiting. There were several people who missed out on the PG ex, I'm one. I also know people missed out on Kerrigan, she went straight to sold out and very few converted. King Hulk sold fast with few conversions. Lobo and Dawg were hard to find.

All I'm getting at is if I know I really like a piece iv learned to order within a reasonable amount time and not risk missing out on an ex with reward points and low shipping.

Been collecting ss over 10 years and I know there are still pieces people want but miss out on due to waiting. There were several people who missed out on the PG ex, I'm one. I also know people missed out on Kerrigan, she went straight to sold out and very few converted. King Hulk sold fast with few conversions. Lobo and Dawg were hard to find.

All I'm getting at is if I know I really like a piece iv learned to order within a reasonable amount time and not risk missing out on an ex with reward points and low shipping.

Yeah, this is my take on POing a piece as well. If it's a character I have to have and I LOVE the sculpt, I PO right away. No messing around. However, if I'm not feeling a sculpt right off the bat or I have a lot on PO, then I'll prioritize. I personally don't like to have more than 4 pieces on PO at the same time. So, I'll wait until I clear a few pieces before I PO some more. I'm in that boat now. I have Wolverine, Sabretooth, Darkseid, and the Prime 1 Deathstroke on PO. So, Aquaman and Green Goblin are getting pushed back until I clear some space. My maybes include the new Green Lantern PF (I have the original) and Dark Phoenix (really wanted a Phoenix PF).

Basically, if a PF has a high ES, no exclusive feature, or the sculpt doesn't grab me right away...I have no problem waiting to pull the trigger on a PO. If a PF is released of a character I must have for my collection and the sculpt ROCKS...it's a day one PO for me. This is what's worked best for me as far as POing statues for my collection.

That isn't what the original post is saying. Of course you will miss out if you wait too long (jumping on a waitlist when the statue starts shipping for example).
All of the statues you mentioned were available for months. You could've saved money with coupons and discount codes and King Hulk even went on sale. Lobo and Dog didn't become hard to find until he started shipping and received overwhelmingly positive reviews. No need to worry if an item goes from "preorder" to "waitlist" because if you jump on the waitlist right away you are pretty much guaranteed to convert.

I waited months to preorder Sabretooth, Spider-Man, and Green Goblin. Saved almost $150 combined. No reason to preorder day 1 you can mark my words.

Neither of the ones you mentioned had an EX or fail to be honest.

Grey Hulk EX another one that didn't "pay" to wait

Anyone that thinks the EX Jean portrait is a simple hair variant is obviously deluded. It will sell out before it arrives in warehouse since no Phoenix variant is planned

Of course waiting for the no exclusive color variants pays to wait, but they weren't really that exclusive to begin with IE Green Goblin

The whole point was (and still is): waiting on Dark Phoenix PF has already paid. You can use coupons on her right now and people are getting the % discount codes if they order now, as opposed to those who ordered early. Ergo, waiting can make you save some bucks. She goes on waitlist, you jump on it immediatly (<keyword) and you're guaranteed a conversion.
Not sure how many times and in how many ways the same exact notion has to be repeated and backed by facts before it's understood, really.

I will say it again. People have already received 5% off codes for the dark phoenix statue. You would have saved $25 if you ordered today instead of day one.

I will speculate and say we will likely see a 10% off code given the ginormous edition size. I am on the boards pretty much every day. If, by fluke she sells out tomorrow, I will jump on the waitlist and am 100% confident it will convert.

If you are using points, order day one as you can't combine discounts. If you really, really want a statue and the hassle isn't worth it (which is fine) order day one.

For the rest of us, it makes sense to wait.

EDIT: El Mule beat me to it.

That's basically it. You can't say it any better than that.

I think people understand this, for the most part. For others that don't ...then it is what is.

Well no, people were saying that they've consistently received 10% off all new releases. That's simply not the case...

I couldn't receive a 10% off coupon for Sentinel (I think only one person here so far qualified) but I did receive one for Modern Age Batman

Also for Batgirl EX, there was so much backlash over the EX yet it was never available thru discounted means.

It's a hit or miss, I'd say Gamora and Cap Marvel will qualify for coupons, but Dark Phoenix obviously was the most popular piece for 12 days.

Sure you'll get a $20 coupon here or there but I highly doubt you'll find an EX for $50 off

Also another LOGICAL and FACTUAL reason why some (especially international customers) would be interested in purchasing the EX day one verses gambling for a $20 coupon is fluctuating currency conversion. Lead economists forecast depreciation of the USD over the next 12 months. Those international customers that go on flexplan have payments billed monthly over the span of 8 months in some cases. The savings could potentially amount to a greater savings of $20 if infact there is arbitrage.

So yeah, some people (Canadians and EUs) may be interested in hedging their bets and not following 12 months of online bitching in order to save $20 on a coupon... the opportunity cost is not that great to begin with.

And the edition size isn't as great as some people suggest.

How they screwed up the previous XMEN line was capping EX ES for main characters such as Gambit and Wolverine (both sitting at 750)

Since those releases, Sideshow has grown its market share substantially (facebook likes went from 50 000 to 250 000) in 5 years.

If they intend to create more XMEN PFs, the constraint for market growth would begin with the ES for the first 2 new XMEN pieces in this new line (Wolverine and Jean Phoenix, arguably the most popular characters)

Since Deadpool is pretty much a franchise of its own, it's ES will be greater than Dark Phoenix)

Simple logic that more people are interested in these pieces after major cinematic releases

Well no, people were saying that they've consistently received 10% off all new releases. That's simply not the case...

I couldn't receive a 10% off coupon for Sentinel (I think only one person here so far qualified) but I did receive one for Modern Age Batman

Also for Batgirl EX, there was so much backlash over the EX yet it was never available thru discounted means.

It's a hit or miss, I'd say Gamora and Cap Marvel will qualify for coupons, but Dark Phoenix obviously was the most popular piece for 12 days.

Sure you'll get a $20 coupon here or there but I highly doubt you'll find an EX for $50 off

It isn't hard people....here it is again.

1. You are not guaranteed a 10% off discount code. None of us are saying that!!!! (BTW When Sentinel and Batgirl preordered the "put in cart code" hadn't existed).
2. Chances are really good that new preorders will be eligible for a $20 off code in 2-3 months. Last I checked $20 off retail is cheaper than paying retail.
3. If a character as popular as Spider-Man can be eligible for 10% off why not Dark Phoenix??
4. At worst waiting for these discount codes/10% off doesn't pay off and you pay exactly the same as someone who ordered day 1.
5. If the item goes on waitlist while you wait for discounts jump on the waitlist immediately and it'll most definitely convert. You still pay the same amount as a day 1 preorder!!!

BTW I ordered Spider-Man last week for 10% off and he was charged and shipped on Fri. Day 1 preorderers can't even say they get the item shipped out faster :lol

Last edited:
Also another LOGICAL and FACTUAL reason why some (especially international customers) would be interested in purchasing the EX day one verses gambling for a $20 coupon is fluctuating currency conversion. Lead economists forecast depreciation of the USD over the next 12 months. Those international customers that go on flexplan have payments billed monthly over the span of 8 months in some cases. The savings could potentially amount to a greater savings of $20 if infact there is arbitrage.

So yeah, some people (Canadians and EUs) may be interested in hedging their bets and not following 12 months of online bitching in order to save $20 on a coupon... the opportunity cost is not that great to begin with.

Just made me spit out my breakfast. So you can predict currency fluctuations now...
Assuming that your logic is factual and logical(which it isn't).....wouldn't you wait until the USD to depreciate to it's lowest and pay off the statue it it's entirety at the end to save the most money??

Give me an example of a time when one person (supposedly) received a 5% off discount, and then receiving 10% off at a later date?

X number of people default on NRDS

NRDs are cash in hand, cash is king... So any incentive to get that order in is what SS cares about.

Since someone else pointed out they'll wait longer for an exponentially greater discount without really proving there would be one, it's a ridiculous assumption to make when viewing all the factors that go against

Ie deflation, high demand, exclusivity, a major XMEN movie releasing prior to shipping

Yeah good luck with that $50 discount, I don't see it happening

Last edited:
Just made me spit out my breakfast. So you can predict currency fluctuations now...
Assuming that your logic is factual and logical(which it isn't).....wouldn't you wait until the USD to depreciate to it's lowest and pay off the statue it it's entirety at the end to save the most money??

Ur right, however this ships in December/ January when there is an influx in spending and anticipation of the January effect. If currency depreciates, it will impact May thru October the most before spiking back up.

Based on precedent.

Boom *****

Back