Could a sculpted 1/6 Chewbacca work?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My issue isn't whether we should get fur, it should just be fur. We've had sculpted fur from Hasbro and now the Sideshow PF so we now need fur. In this golden age of 1/6th it seems like if we'll ever get one then it will be now.

There's really nothing I want more than a 1/6th Chewie. Getting 3PO a couple weeks ago really highlighted the massive hole I had in my collection by not owning the Droids and Chewie.

Um.... NO.

4113XY6KSHL._SY445_.jpg

You can have a Chewbacca that looks like a giant turd then. :lol

I think the only sculpted option that would work is to have the hair be some kind of rubbery material and then you'd still have the hair in a single pose and it would kink-up oddly when you moved him around.

If the only option is sculpted then I'd just as soon buy a statue. Although I'm more than happy with my 1/6 custom Chewie... it's not perfect, but definitely in the "good enough" category.

I'd love to see them do an outstanding cotton candy Chewie - honestly. :huh

To me though it presents more cons than pros. An inconsistent look, a non authentic look, the thing deteriorating over a shorter time..

They might actually be able to design a fine nylon type material, that is sturdier than plush toy hair, & that keeps it's shape a lot better.

That.. I'd like to see. :lecture

If Hot Toys can do it with a few damn dirty apes there shouldn't be a problem with a Wookie.

If Hot Toys can do it with a few damn dirty apes there shouldn't be a problem with a Wookie.

A relatively small tuft of hair on a figures head is not really the same thing as a full body suit.

I still think it can be done, but the Apes don't really prove much.

I think the two main issues with a furry Chewbacca 1) getting the face to look like Chewey through the fur. Unlike the POTA figures; Chewie's face is covered completely covered and if the hair doesn't lay properly and maintain the correct shape everything is off.

I've seen some very well done customs, but when it came to the head it looked awful.

2nd issue is getting the right lankyness to the body. I think the only feasible way to do this is a body suit, but you'd have to start with a very thin body and the work on the hair would have be very high quality.

I don't think it's possible to get him 100% in 1/6, but I think it could be pretty close.

I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out, but applying hair to a head is a lot of work and I could see companies shying away from it. And as an example, in profile what I did is not bad, but really the muzzle is too long and you really don't know for sure what you have until you've put an hour or so of work into covering the damn thing :lol

chewc-1.jpg

Back