Computer Advice Needed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nash

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just reinstalling my Battlefield 2 game and reading through the instruction manual I came across a tip that they reccomend players do before running the BF2 game.

It says that you should close all "background tasks" to optimize the performance of the game. Well I pressed ctrl+alt+delete, and I have around 84 processes running. The instructions go on to say that you should hit the "user name" tab in your processes window to sort them by user name and you should delete each one of those under your username except for explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe.

My question is, since it seems to me that disabling all of the processes running under my user name will not affect my computer, is there a way to permanantly disable those same processes so that when my computer starts up they are not automatically running in the background and using up computer resources?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I figure that if they were disabled permanently, then it would be fine once I actually want to use that program, the process or task will just be added once I open the programs right?

Please advise.

Wow 84 is a lot. Do you have a bunch of icons by the time when you expand it? What below is what I do on all my computers when I get them and check periodically yo make sure new programs dont start automaticlly. I have about 32-33 processes running when my computer fisrt starts up.

I am guessing that you have Windows XP and all of this is assuming that.

Ok there are a few easy thing you can do. The first is look under programs/startup and in there are programs that will start automaticly when you boot your computer.

Second from a command prompt run msconfig. Click on the startup tab thats a list of programs that start automaticly. You can uncheck anything you dont want to start upon boot up. But if you are not sure what it is don't just uncheck it. There can be Video card stuff, keyboard shortcut button programs stuff like that there.

The last thing you can do is go into services and stop and change services to manual that you don't need. You can also disable them but be careful here if you are not sure leave it as manual. Some examples is if you don't have a Wireless Card you don't need the Wireless Zero Configuration service but most likely its set for automatic start up. Read the descriptions and if you think you don't need it you can stop it. I would make sure thing your normally work after every few to make sure you dont stop something you need.

mfoga said:
Wow 84 is a lot. Do you have a bunch of icons by the time when you expand it? What below is what I do on all my computers when I get them and check periodically yo make sure new programs dont start automaticlly. I have about 32-33 processes running when my computer fisrt starts up.

I am guessing that you have Windows XP and all of this is assuming that.

Ok there are a few easy thing you can do. The first is look under programs/startup and in there are programs that will start automaticly when you boot your computer.

Second from a command prompt run msconfig. Click on the startup tab thats a list of programs that start automaticly. You can uncheck anything you dont want to start upon boot up. But if you are not sure what it is don't just uncheck it. There can be Video card stuff, keyboard shortcut button programs stuff like that there.

The last thing you can do is go into services and stop and change services to manual that you don't need. You can also disable them but be careful here if you are not sure leave it as manual. Some examples is if you don't have a Wireless Card you don't need the Wireless Zero Configuration service but most likely its set for automatic start up. Read the descriptions and if you think you don't need it you can stop it. I would make sure thing your normally work after every few to make sure you dont stop something you need.

I tried disabling as many of the auto-start programs such as chat programs and music players etc. I really dont know how I ended up with 84 processes but thats the count, even when I only have firefox open. Half of the processes are SYSTEM and the other half are my username ones.

I checked the msconfig, a bunch of things that I have no idea what they are :confused:.

Darth Roranous said:
Get a Mac. Problem solved.
Yeah that would solve it completely. He would not need to do it since Battlefield 2 isnt made for Mac.

nash said:
I tried disabling as many of the auto-start programs such as chat programs and music players etc. I really dont know how I ended up with 84 processes but thats the count, even when I only have firefox open. Half of the processes are SYSTEM and the other half are my username ones.

I checked the msconfig, a bunch of things that I have no idea what they are :confused:.

Its not hard to get up to 84. I know people who have over 100 and thats only after boot.

To start with the MSconfig look at the command section. This will tell you where the program is located. It should help you determine what they are.

All of those who are run by System, Local Service or Network Serive is a service. If you look in control panel you should have a Adminstrative Tools, go there and then you can open services. Under servies most will have good descriptions of what they are. There will be lots you most likely dont need. I will try to get a list of ones you more then likely dont need.

You probably shouldn't close every program that's running. For instance, I have an HP printer installed, if I close down the programs running for that (even though I'm not currently using it) then I'll have to open up the programs manually when I do want to use it, with the program running I can just press the scan button on the printer and it automatically starts the program on my computer.

Things that don't need to be running are stuff like any messenger service, or some music players, or quicktime. Just check the directory that each listing is under, stuff under windows will probably be something needed, although that's also where spyware, adware, and viruses are installed so you need to make sure that none of those are running. But just as good info, after windows is first installed (clean install, no programs added) there will be nothing at all listed under the msconfig utility, so you could actually disable every program and Windows would still run, so don't worry about that, it's just that some programs might add a utility to Windows so they can run and you wouldn't want to disable those.

The processes are not that big of a deal the thing you dont want running are like said above, yahoo mess. limewire etc. **** like that will slow ya down.
camera ****,AIM etc.

Darth Roranous said:
Get a Mac. Problem solved.

I was going to give the exact same advice.:lol

It's always the first answer I give to :confused: "I have XX processes running..."

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

I like Macs, but they are way too expensive and for that much money I would expect more than what they give you. Especially since it can't run half the programs that I need.

Rocktonix said:
I was going to give the exact same advice.:lol

It's always the first answer I give to :confused: "I have XX processes running..."

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Forgive me for being Ignorant (non-Mac owner here), but why would a Mac be excluded from computer processes? It runs programs so wouldnt it be the same? I don't get how "getting a Mac" is even relevant to my issue here?

Yes Mac users seem to sit and blindly feel that all is good. I agree that they have the good points, but a lot of the things people say about them a just completely false. I remeber a story saying they belived it was unhackable and put up some big bucks for anyone who could hack and get root access in a certain time period. What happened one guy did it something like 30 min. Also a lot of people believe that Macs are imune to Viruses and I belive its even in one of there commercials. They are not imune and the only thing that keeps them from getting lots of them is the fact that there are not nearly enough Macs in the world for the writers to bother. Also a lil known fact that a lot of Virus Co engineers also write a large portion of the Viruses. This is not by orders of the companies but more like a way to protect their jobs. So basicly both Macs and Windows PCs have the pluses and minuses.

I admit there are a lot of mac users that tend to come off as snobs but I don't think that's what their intent is.

Being a music major I was forced to use those !@%$#%@ apple II's as that was all that was available to me in the music buildings. I swore off apple for a long time but I bought a G5 iMac about a year and a half ago and they're incredible. I really decided to switch because I spent so much time on my PC at work beta testing a WMS that when I got home I didn't even want to sit down and check my email let alone pay bills or work on anything for myself. The original idea was just a change of scenery but within a week I said to myself that I would never own a PC for myself as long as I lived.

My wife originally made me buy her a notbook because she doesn't like macs and even she has fallen for OSX. For me that's where it's at. Window's users are getting ready to get a taste of it with Vista. From what Iv'e seen of it they borrowed heavily from OSX.

I don't really game much anymore so that's not a big deal. I have office but appleworks is just fine and can work in MS office formats. The fact that it has Garage Band and iPhoto right out of the box is great.

Someone mentioned that they were expensive and I can see that arguement. It's not as bad as you think. I bought a refurbished 21" iMac with a three year warranty for about $1400. I have honest to God shut it down less than 10 times in the last 10 months. That includes updates, power outages and the two times I have left town for more than a week.

This isn't a commercial or anything, but if you get a chance to spend 15 or 20 minutes with OSX, do it and you'll realize why mac users are always acting like they know something you don't.

Now.....Flame On.

mfoga said:
Yes Mac users seem to sit and blindly feel that all is good. I agree that they have the good points, but a lot of the things people say about them a just completely false. I remeber a story saying they belived it was unhackable and put up some big bucks for anyone who could hack and get root access in a certain time period. What happened one guy did it something like 30 min. Also a lot of people believe that Macs are imune to Viruses and I belive its even in one of there commercials. They are not imune and the only thing that keeps them from getting lots of them is the fact that there are not nearly enough Macs in the world for the writers to bother. Also a lil known fact that a lot of Virus Co engineers also write a large portion of the Viruses. This is not by orders of the companies but more like a way to protect their jobs. So basicly both Macs and Windows PCs have the pluses and minuses.

I understand this to be the exact same arguments that resides between IE and Firefox. For one, Firefox has less exploits because the majority of the online community use IE, why would the hackers bother to target the small percentage of Firefox users right?

I guess the same goes for Macs. And it just confuses me how people can think a Mac is invulnerable to anything....Actually it's quite laughable.

It's a computer, it's connected to the internet, it's vulnerable if someone wanted to spend the time to hack some lonely Mac user.

Im content with my PC and get lots of cool games and programs.

PS: Mark i'd appreciate that list when you have time.thanks bro.

nash said:
I understand this to be the exact same arguments that resides between IE and Firefox. For one, Firefox has less exploits because the majority of the online community use IE, why would the hackers bother to target the small percentage of Firefox users right?

I guess the same goes for Macs. And it just confuses me how people can think a Mac is invulnerable to anything....Actually it's quite laughable.

It's a computer, it's connected to the internet, it's vulnerable if someone wanted to spend the time to hack some lonely Mac user.

Im content with my PC and get lots of cool games and programs.

PS: Mark i'd appreciate that list when you have time.thanks bro.

Yeah I hear that a lot and think it's funny. It's not impervious, and the available software if a legitimate arguement. I have a friend that's a die hard pc gamer and when we go into Best Buy he likes to ask for the mac section. Usually baffles the clerk.

Nash check your PMs.

I have experience will a lot of PCs. Hell I had a Apple II when I was like 7 years old. Used both Macs and PCs in High School. I have used new Macs too. As for what I use now is PC and that has a lot to do with work. I like both but Windows PC have a lot more versatility IMO. I did a lot of Music work or Video work I would use a Mac in a second. For the average user who doesn't game either one will work great. If you are a gamer you have one choice and the Windows. So which is best depends on what you want to do with it.

Back