Competetive Cheerleading a sport?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Competetive Cheerleading a sport?

• Yes, it's a sport

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No, not a sport

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • I don't know anything about athleticism

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Why do you have to be a tool? C ertain competitions I have been to have a special needs squad. I think it's awesome that they let these girls compete and I bet it makes them feel like a million bucks.

Why bother? I don't care what others think around here. I know most couldn't do half of the ____ these so called cheerleaders can do. So good for them. Haha. Me? Meh what do I know? Never played sports or did anything worth while. Just a ******. ;)

I think some of the people that voted No should have voted under I know nothing about athleticism :rotfl. I keep asking the question, but nobody gives me a answer, I would like to hear from the ppl saying No. How is this not a sport, yet things like Curling, Bowling, Poker, Eating, Golf,etc are considered sports? I dont know why I care so much, but I think this is one of the dumbest rulings I have ever read about, and have yet to read a convincing argument why its not a sport. Someone just tell me judges are idiots, and I will leave it alone.

Actually, after reading the article - I agree with the decision that the judge made. He wasn't disqualifying it as a sport entirely, just as an intercollegiate competitive one in the case where a school was trying to count cheer as a sport so they could drop their women's volleyball program.

All that aside, I'd very much more so consider competitive cheer more a sport than things like poker.

Is dancing a sport?

Getting back to that, don't you have to be extremely fit and athletic for some forms of dance? Does that make it a sport?

I guess figure skating is a sport... it's at the Olympics. :dunno

Last edited:
So why comment then? Trying to increase your post count much huh?

so you guys think Poker or sweeping ice should be considered a sport, but not something that actually requires training to compete in. If this isnt considered a sport, then what are the requirements?

Leave Curling alone. That is a sport handed down by the Norse Gods and as such, is beyond contestation.

On topic...My own point of view is that "competitive cheerleading" is NOT a sport nor is it cheerleading. Cheerleading happens in front of fans at sports events to fire them up to make noise for their team. "Competitive cheerleading" is really more of a mix of hiphop dance and gymnastics made in to more of a team-style event than regular gymnastics. And as such, it does fit the definition of a sport, but to me, it is like calling competitive stripping a sport.

Leave Curling alone. That is a sport handed down by the Norse Gods and as such, is beyond contestation.

On topic...My own point of view is that "competitive cheerleading" is NOT a sport nor is it cheerleading. Cheerleading happens in front of fans at sports events to fire them up to make noise for their team. "Competitive cheerleading" is really more of a mix of hiphop dance and gymnastics made in to more of a team-style event than regular gymnastics. And as such, it does fit the definition of a sport, but to me, it is like calling competitive stripping a sport.

I'm going to need some proof of this "competitive stripping".

Ween are you on crack? When do you ever lift a person above your head in step class? I'm really shocked at the ignorance in regards to this topic. I don't think he meant the typical clap your hands cheerleading. He said competition. Have any of you ever watched that?

Wow.....okay.

DUH...I'm stupid. I have no idea what competitive cheerleading is.

Just like you don't know what aerobics competitions are either.

:lol

I've watched cheerleading competitions for years. That's the only time cheerleaders compete. Otherwise, they're dancing with pompoms and doing cartwheels. Sure they do some lifts, but not like they do in competitions, and they mostly do that at the college level.

Have you guys not seen Bring it On??? My friend's sister does this stuff, and she's always telling me the crazy stories about how they literally fight with each other about who is better, who is fatter, and then there's the cool stories about their experimentation during "cheer-camp."

So then how is that not a sport? LOL! Christ if they don't work out hard enough or drop someone they could seriously hurt eachother. Seems like a sport to me. :dunno

And Ween youre not stupid. :lecture

So then how is that not a sport? LOL! Christ if they don't work out hard enough or drop someone they could seriously hurt eachother. Seems like a sport to me. :dunno

And Ween youre not stupid. :lecture

Lol..I know right. They practice almost as much, maybe more than the football teams they're dancing for.

Have you guys not seen Bring it On??? My friend's sister does this stuff, and she's always telling me the crazy stories about how they literally fight with each other about who is better, who is fatter, and then there's the cool stories about their experimentation during "cheer-camp."

I'm having a cheer camp in my pants. You have to be 18 years to register though.

Good... but can I get a video with legal aged women? :slap :lol

Just look up aerobic competition on youtube, you'll find some. But most are teenagers or old vids.

Come to think of it. They used to show these on ESPN but I haven't seen any for quite awhile. Maybe they don't do them in the US anymore.

I can't remember seeing cheerleadering either recently. Maybe poker takes up too much time.

My mother loves watching poker and knows most of the guys' names. :lol

Back