Cloverfield Monster Revealed, SPOLIER!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GO SEE THIS MOVIE! Just got back from a midnight show and it was amazing. I'm not one to hold back but this has to be seen to be believed. First must see movie of 2008!

I didn't think it was that great.

:spoiler:

you never find out anything about the monster, nor do you ever really see it.

The guy (forgets names) behind the camera can get annoying at times too.

Well for the seeing thing... I think you see it fairly well. Also the story ISN'T about the monster, its about the people. That's the way a lot of J.J. Abrahm's work is. It's more character driven. And who's to say there won't be a second film where we get all that info? I know I'd be in line for it.

I think that is the best part, seeing it from the ground level. The average Joe on the street, in the middle of this chaos, would not end up knowing all that much about the monster tearing apart his town. He would just see enough to induce him into running the F away. :lol

I'm really excited to see it. :rock

I have no interest in seeing this.

Big Hollywood movies are losing their thunder with me. I rather see There Will Be Blood with the great Daniel Day-Lewis.

I have no interest in seeing this.

Big Hollywood movies are losing their thunder with me. I rather see There Will Be Blood with the great Daniel Day-Lewis.

I would say this is more Indie than Hollywood. The way it's shot, the actors, the total silence from the production, the overall structure of the film is not your typical monster movie at all. I think the best way to know if you would like this movie is to look at Abrahms other works that were more character driven and then decide because this is very much in the same vien.

I just got back from seeing this film. I was intrigued by a trailer and I tried mightily to stay away from any talk or buzz about this since I wanted to be completely surprised.

I did not like it. If you want a review from some 20something fanboy who creamed his jeans over it - skip the rest of this.

The first ten minutes , maybe even more like fifteen or twenty(estimate) are the biggest waste of time on any movie screen in a long long time. The time just crawls by and you want to stand up and scream "get on with it already". At least I did. Some may say this is baiting the hook and creating suspense. Bull. Its just wasted time about garbage. Absolutely nothing happens. Show up ten to fifteen minutes late and time your entrance to when the people go onto the roof. There is no reason to see the first part of this film because all that happens is that we are introduced (if that is the word) to a bunch of people who we never really know about, and subsequently have no reason to ever really care about.

Oh - we do get the gimmick of the film. Some guy gets handed a camera and told to videotape everything. Its amazing that what follows is something which equals the end of their world by Mr. Stupid with the camera never lets go of it. The world is falling apart around him and he feels some obligation to film - very very badly - the events. And lets pretend for a minute that no real cameraman is available from any of the 24/7 news service and this event would not be filmed but better by them. The only footage we have is this shaky crap version.

I am sure that some people will jump all over me and tell me "dude, thats what was so cooooool about it - the handheld camera was the bomb" or some garbage like that. What it was is a cheap way to make a movie without having to show too much or offer any explainations or resolutions to anything.

The people in this were a waste of space on the planet. I never cared about them at all. At least the old formula disaster films wasted the first third of the film showing you who these people were and why you should care - at least a tiny bit - about their pathetic lives. But in this we see them for ten minutes - learn to not care about them at all - and then we see/or do not see what happens to midtown Manhattan.

The camera work gave me a headache. And I do think there is a place for handheld camera work - just not an entire 80 minute movie of nothing but that stuff.

The monster is decent - not great - not terrible - just decent. You can see how it was not completely developed to the point where they could put the same thing on screen if it was filmed the traditional way. It was rough.

I would give this a four out of ten and thats just for daring to do something interesting to shake things up even though it only partly succeeded in spots.

Last edited:
where does the monster came from? water? Space? do they kill it at the end?

There are no expository scenes at all and we are told nothing about it, how it got there or how things end up. There is a blip about drilling in the water so maybe thats what they want you to believe about its origins. But that is never made clear. Just like everything else in this movie.

Also, just read some garbage on Aintitcool where the reviewer said it will make you soil your diapers --- if that is true that reviewer must get really terrified by little kids on Halloween because at no time did I feel there was any suspense or any sense of terror. None at all.

Some people will praise this because it is "cutting edge" in the way it is filmed and the way the story is told. Recognize that for the gimmick that it is. Filmamkers want to think they have found a way to spend less, show you less and make you want to rave about how utterly cooooool it is.

Last edited:
quick question for those that saw it,

:need spoiler tags:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sorry cloud but I did not stay for the credits --- was anxious to resume living again. Perhaps the coney island shot was to show the origins of the creature in some way but I did not notice that. IMDB lists the running time as 90 minutes but I think thats an exaggeration. I left the theater at 2:25 pm and it was a 1 PM showtime. And they had the usual 8 to 10 minutes of junk before the film started. So maybe 82 minutes. Pretty short for a feature length film. Another example of giving you less and wanting you to think you got much more because it is "soooo cutting edge dude". :rolleyes:

quick question for those that saw it,

:need spoiler tags:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I did stay for the credits and i couldnt make out what was said to much noise in the background.

Ok I just got back. I don't think me and my wife have talked about a movie the whole way home ever before. It was pretty cool. My advice would be to sit as close to the screen as you can. Not all the way up front but maybe closer to what you are used too. We did that and it was fun. You really feel like you are running around with the people. I am not a big fan of the creature design but it didn't take away anything from the movie. This was truly one of the freshest things to come along in a long time. GO SEE IT! :cool:

There are no expository scenes at all and we are told nothing about it, how it got there or how things end up. There is a blip about drilling in the water so maybe thats what they want you to believe about its origins. But that is never made clear. Just like everything else in this movie.

Also, just read some garbage on Aintitcool where the reviewer said it will make you soil your diapers --- if that is true that reviewer must get really terrified by little kids on Halloween because at no time did I feel there was any suspense or any sense of terror. None at all.

Some people will praise this because it is "cutting edge" in the way it is filmed and the way the story is told. Recognize that for the gimmick that it is. Filmamkers want to think they have found a way to spend less, show you less and make you want to rave about how utterly cooooool it is.

So if you were in New York and this actually happened you would know what it is? :lol

The point of the movie wasn't to talk about monster. It was to put you in a situation in utter caos. They could have used a terrorist attack and it would have had the same effect.

Just a question Gideon what types of movies do you like? You said Sweeney Todd was too bloody. Now this one is a gimmick and doesn't give you enough information. Just curious what you do like.

I am not a big fan of the creature design but it didn't take away anything from the movie. :cool:

can't be worse than Godzilla 1998..... can it ?

would this flick be ok for a 9 year old ? is there a lot of blood and guts ? i took her to see I am Legend and she didn't have any nightmares.

can't be worse than Godzilla 1998..... can it ?

would this flick be ok for a 9 year old ? is there a lot of blood and guts ? i took her to see I am Legend and she didn't have any nightmares.

I dunno, there's isn't much screen time for blood, but at one point you see a body that has been ripped open and such. Just for safety sake I would say hold off, see it yourself first, then decide.

I dunno, there's isn't much screen time for blood, but at one point you see a body that has been ripped open and such. Just for safety sake I would say hold off, see it yourself first, then decide.

I wouldn't say the movie was scary but I would call it intense. It is almost like dare I say the world trade center attacks. I think that was a big influence for this movie. A building collapses at one point and all this smoke and debris come rushing towards the screen. The sounds were more horrifying I thought than the visuals themselves.

Back