clothing dye question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave10878

Freaked Out
Reaction score
What's the best way to dye clothes, i wanting black to go to deep red, looking at making a scrap iron custom i can only find decent black vests

Well i have recently died lot's of clothing
first of all you can't dye black any colour.
First rule of thumb is you can do light to dark but not dark to light.
So bleach the material first.
Also find out what the garment is made from as some does not die at all.
As i was trying to dye blue jeans and a blue jumper black
and it did not work on either.

I've spent many hours trying to dye stuff. Certain materials wouldn't dye. I've started using multipurpose dye in little tins and so far they have dyed everything I have thrown at them. They are amazing and my best friend. With these dyes you don't need to leave the clothes in for long. Sometimes a 10 second dip does the job.

This is what they look like:

https://www.thedyeshop.co.uk/acatalog/MULTI-PURPOSE_DYE_4.5g.html

What's the best way to dye clothes, i wanting black to go to deep red, looking at making a scrap iron custom i can only find decent black vests

The only way I've found is to try is:
1) Put the vest in Rit Dye color remover.
2) Dye to color desired
I've had good luck with this method. Changed dark grey to tan. Use stove top method. The longer you leave it in the more color it removes.

Old Grandpa

Sorry for the bump but.. How would I dye a light gray suit so it becomes a darker gray? I really need a step by step guide including the colors to go for (black and just leave it in for a short period, or gray dye?) etc, I have never done anything like this myself..

My main worry: How can I make sure the suit is dyed in one solid color without some areas being darker or lighter than others?

Back