Clothes for Merry and Pippin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK folks. Be expecting the remaining Hobbit clothes to be dyed and start hitting homes towards mid to late January.

:rock

No clue I'm not really good with clothes and sewing and that kind of knowledge. If you find out how to get one of make one I'm intrested in knowing but alas I'm basically useless in this department.

Has anyone figured out a scarf for Pippin and a cloak for Merry

I figure I'll use the scarf from an extra Van Helsing figure I have for the time being. It's dark grey and doesn't have a pattern or fringe, but it'll do for the short term. Considering they make knitted scarves and sweaters for Barbie in this scale, it shouldn't be too hard finding a suitable replacement. Or better yet, having one made ourselves.

As for the cloak, well, my Merry's going to be wearing his Lothlorien cloak until something better comes along.

I figure I'll use the scarf from an extra Van Helsing figure I have for the time being. It's dark grey and doesn't have a pattern or fringe, but it'll do for the short term. Considering they make knitted scarves and sweaters for Barbie in this scale, it shouldn't be too hard finding a suitable replacement. Or better yet, having one made ourselves.

As for the cloak, well, my Merry's going to be wearing his Lothlorien cloak until something better comes along.

If that scarf works okay scale wise for Pippin, can you measure it?

I've tried looking for a Barbie scarf and I don't like the looks of them at all. At least the ones I've found so far.

when we first began this project I really got stuck trying to do the fringe, but the actual cutting and sewing of a plain scarf is pretty simple. I can probably offer them. The thing is, what fabric and can we live without the fringe?

thenam sent me some stuff to experiment with for Pippin's scarf and I played around with it today... very promising.. the material he sent is very good in that scale for laying on a body really naturally and doesn't look bulky at all... I try to take some pics tomorrow and post them.

If that scarf works okay scale wise for Pippin, can you measure it?

I took a closer look at the Van Helsing scarf and it won't work for a couple of reasons. First off, it's way too dark. Like, very dark grey bordering on black. And while it does have a nice fringe, the scarf is simply WAY too long. I'd guess 14 inches in length, if not longer.

As for the material to use for the scarf, I always figured the easiest solution would be to get some grey felt material, cut it to the appropriate length, then simply use a sharp point marker to add some dots to mimic the pattern. The fringe could probably be made by using some grey thread, sewn into the end of the scarf and tied off so it doesn't come loose.

Of course, the best solution would be a very fine knitted wool.

The problem with using actual materials used in the 1:1 items is that they usually are WAY out of scale, thickness-wise. We need to find a material that is thin and not stiff, but takes folds well and will look natural on a 1/6th scale hobbit.

I believe it's a matter of simulating and not recreating, which is what I follow when building my scale models.

At this scale, the design can be implied, in other words.

Maybe it's just a question of cutting a strip off a grey T-shirt, making the pattern with a marker, and fraying the ends to create the fringe? The thin cotton should fold and drape pretty naturally on a 1:6 scale figure.

Nam's solution works folks. It is so simple and obvious I don't know why noone has thought of it before.

Pics coming soon.

Fringe would be easy for me since I've worked with different threads before. Floss might work. Needlepoint yarns. It would be a bit tedious but doable.

Here we are. I know the hobbits are a bit smaler in scale but I think it could still look really good.. plus my wife is an expert cross stitcher so getting the pattern and fringe put on wouldn't be that hard!

100_06881.JPG

Back