Classic Comedians - Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, Stooges, Hope/Crosby, Martin/Lewis

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Classic Comedians - Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, Stooges, Hope/Crosby, Martin/L

Jim,

As a follow up to your post above, Murder He Says is available on Dvd after all...

Here is the link:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Murder-He-Says-Fred-MacMurray/dp/B005STRKC4[/ame]

Re: Classic Comedians - Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, Stooges, Hope/Crosby, Martin/L

Wow that's great!

I'm going to order a copy today.

Thanks Jerry.

Hey Jim, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Hi, Jerry!

I'd like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year. Enjoy the holidays!

Interesting article on Chaplin that I found online...

Rome (AFP) - A virtually unknown novel by Charlie Chaplin -- the only book the silent film comic ever wrote -- is being made public for the first time.

"Footlights", which will be unveiled in London later Tuesday, was written by Chaplin in 1948 and later transformed into his film "Limelight", in which a washed-out clown saves a dancer from suicide.

The book is being published in English by the Cineteca di Bologna, an Italian film restoration institute which has been working with Chaplin biographer David Robinson on reconstructing drafts found in the Chaplin archives.

Charles Spencer Chaplin was born in London in 1889 to poor parents, who struggled to make a living as music hall entertainers. As an adolescent, he began working in music halls in Soho, before eventually becoming an actor with a theatre troupe.

In his first appearance on the silver screen in the 1914 "Making a Living", Chaplin plays a swindler -- complete with the hat, cane, moustache and baggy trousers he would become famous for around the world.

According to Robinson, the relationship between drunken clown and desperate ballerina in the much later "Footlights" was likely inspired by his meeting with legendary Russian dancer Vaslav Nijinsky in 1916.

The Cinetaca describes Chaplin's "vivid, idiosyncratic" writing style which, "unadulterated by editors, moves freely from the baldly colloquial to moments of rich imagery and Dickensian description.

"For a setting, he looked back to London and the music halls of his first professional years, an enchanted period in which he had broken out of the deprivations of his childhood to discover, progressively, his unique gifts as entertainer and communicator," the institute said in a statement.

"But this retrospect also recalled the painful insecurity of an uneducated, uncultured boy launched into the world of success", and the clown's expressions of despair at losing the world's respect and admiration likely reflected Chaplin's own feelings as his popularity dwindled.

The book is illustrated with previously unpublished documents and photographs from the Chaplin archives, as well as pictures of the theatrical world of Chaplin’s youth and images from the author's private collection.

Here they are! Stan and Ollie in...

9eb31003bcac7d8b71ac798453e9b7f6.jpg

e0f052cb961a22b67daebf28856fca05.jpg

989e5979fe867365b7c3388dcb703dc2.jpg

e1ffbe769020461cbadfe674858cbf9b.jpg

401ae603eaf0611a047e8851ba5dc043.jpg

a315379393b177f042bcf15e921a1268.jpg

0703daf52ce631e61114ed4196b5c12e.jpg

0abea77992233097a799bfc2785cddec.jpg

a6d8b56e86471f1f52b0ca3c99860e71.jpg

d7d1916739ba76a909191c7bf5ab2873.jpg

L&H looking great as always! Now, if they could only get involved in that game of dice aboard that troop transport train with a couple of "Buck Privates" that we all know and love, that would be interesting. With his dumb luck, I think Stan would clean up!

Now THAT would have been a GREAT scene! Can you imagine Lou reacting to Stan's winning? Hilarious! Did you know that Lou was in a silent L & H short "Battle of the Century"? He was in the first reel which was a fight scene. He was in the crowd. The second reel is lost, but the third had a fantastic pie fight that the stooges based their career on :)

Yes! I had heard that Mr. Costello was hired as a stunt man for that film. I have never been able to pick him out in the movie. Boxer, stunt man, and king of comedy... He did it all.

f121486339d262a3379b6914fa300fe1.jpg

22630d25538e929d8ed206b5aaabc742.jpg

b14002c2b5c8fd9cbc57aac3b9faf4bc.jpg

Many thanks, Jerry! This is the first time I'm seeing Lou and Stan in the same frame! Great find....

A new Chaplin sculpt is coming. This one looks to be the best of the bunch so far. I don't think I will upgrade but if I didn't have the Kumik Chaplin already I would jump on this.

Great find...thanks for the heads up, Jim! Interesting...it looks like iminime is going to do it, and they did a good job on Eastwood (Blondie). It seems though that a good number of people paid a hefty price to preorder. When they recieved their orders, after a few weeks, there was a pirated sculpt on ebay. You can find the same one now for $49!

Let's see what iminime does...if you find anyone pics, please post..

I found the thread...looks pretty good...I'm like you though. I'm not going to jump because I think the Kumik comical sculpt that we have is just a notch better. They still didn't get the derby exactly right, although a lot better. What's with these folks...can't get a derby right .

you guys really dont like the iminime chaplin sculpt?? while not a comical expression, i think it captures chaplin well

Hi Siq...

No, I didn't say I didn't like the sculpt. It's a good one, but not right on to my eye. The Kumik comical one looks a little better to me, but what brings Kumik's figure down is everything else. The iminime is much better clothes wise...

No... I like the new sculpt. I think it is the best one out there much better than the original iminime which I thought didn't look like the Little Tramp at all. This one actually looks just like Chaplin.

I own the Kumik comical Chaplin which I am pretty happy with so I'm not going to upgrade to this one but if I didn't have a Chaplin this is the one I would get.

Hmm..maybe I've only seen the original iminime sculpt pics ..

I'm pretty sure the sculpt was made based on this photo...

So now I see why Geronimo thinks something is off. The face of the sculpt is a bit fuller than the photo. We'll just have to see more pics to see how far off it is. It still is the best Chaplin I've seen.

Jim, yes, that's it....you're right in your previous comment. I couldn't pin point it. His face is just a tad too full; maybe it's due to the only pic that we have to go from right now. Man, the outfit is certainly better (hands down). The sculpt is pretty darn close though! I imagine that when you see it in its totality (without scrutinizing the minutia) it's going to be very striking...

a97f1d30b4d01eb7a88bb6d98644d7f1.jpg

Back