Civil War (2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wor-Gar

Torturer of OCD
CF Supporter
Reaction score

what kind of American are you.jpg

Yeah I got tickets for tonight after seeing good reviews from people I trust, and since I'm a big fan of Garland's previous movies (yes even Annihilation that people didn't like for some reason).

Sounds like they're going out of their way to avoid controversy (California and Texas are the states teaming up?? Yeah sure 😄), and having it be more about the cost and ugliness of war itself than about whatever caused it, and about life as a war photographer. So guess we'll see...

So is that why no one has posted this movie yet?

I am totally fascinated by the idea of a Civil War 2.0... I think this movie looks frightening and intriguing.
The idea of Civil War II is equally intriguing and frightening. This movie might give us an idea what that might look like, but yeah, Texas and California ever teaming up seems very far fetched. I suspect the lack of posting about this is that it’s bound to get political.

I am curious about this one as well, but for the life of me, insignificant as it is, I can't understand how or why Jesse Plemens (that's his name right?) Has a career as an actor. Zero appeal. Maybe that's it...

The idea of Civil War II is equally intriguing and frightening. This movie might give us an idea what that might look like, but yeah, Texas and California ever teaming up seems very far fetched. I suspect the lack of posting about this is that it’s bound to get political.

Gilead_map_S4.jpg

the-invasion-of-the-united-states-as-described-in-the-movie-v0-6vl5jx98awub1.jpg

The first map is of Gilead and the outer territories in The Handmaid's Tale.

The second map is from the original Red Dawn.

My take is when Alex Garland sat down with actual retired military analysts, they probably pointed out the necessity to have both sides in control of at least one of the major coastlines, with the implied ports there. In order for a film as such to have some suspension of disbelief, both sides need practical logistics at work. Both sides need the capability to have their own navy, their own nuclear weapons, their own air force, their own food production, their own safe zones that have some geographic practicality to it. California has 40 plus million people in it ( probably way more, but I'm not going all the way there...) Adding CA to Texas in this film gives better logistics for the overall narrative. Texas alone is a rebellion, not a civil war. In a country with roughly around 340 plus million people ( probably 355 at this point, again, you do the math...) You add the 30 million from Texas to the 40 million from California, plus CA's economy and "breadbasket" capability, and you've got a much more salient kind of story here. You then have the raw numbers for "two sides" where one might win just as much as the other. You can't create thematic tension without the idea on the surface level that either side could emerge the "victor".

The great John Milius needed to remove Europe ( besides Great Britain) entirely off the board plus most of China from the original Red Dawn to make the situation in his film more plausible. ( Even then, it's still shaky)

GBmFYg4WAAE6wlI.jpg

You'll observe Garland created four factions to make the numbers more plausible. Both CA and TX have the logistics to be somewhat "independent" in isolation. Both are situated for access to the ocean/Gulf Of Mexico and the implied "navy" potential there too. You need to be a nuclear power, with friendly geography, with enough of a navy/fleet/submarines/carriers and an air force to legitimately break off to seek the goal of becoming a true nation state.

This is a math problem before it's a script problem. Just some thoughts.

I am curious about this one as well, but for the life of me, insignificant as it is, I can't understand how or why Jesse Plemens (that's his name right?) Has a career as an actor. Zero appeal. Maybe that's it...
I think he's great at portraying that sort of casual cruelty, especially on Breaking Bad. But he does come across rather bland in other roles I've seen him in.

Last edited:
I imagine the war would have to be caused by something other than political or religious differences, but not sure what that would be. Unless this is a time when one state has already switched parties and become aligned with the other. But why it would only be CA and TX waging war against the rest of the US I don't know.

Last edited:
I think he's great at portraying that sort of casual cruelty, especially on Breaking Bad. But he does come across rather bland in other roles I've seen him in.
I admittedly never got very far into Breaking Bad so I never saw him in it. Heard he was a prick of pricks though. He just reminds me of Scud Farcus from A Christmas Story. Beady, cruel eyes.

Well that was all kinds of dark and disturbing. But also really damn good and worth checking out.

As expected the movie doesn't go into details about what caused the war, but you can kinda glean a few things. And I thought it was a fun twist that Offerman's dictator president was apparently such a bad guy that it caused California and Texas of all states to team up against him. 😄

The movie has a lot of intense scenes, but the final push on the White House has to be the most powerful, and very surreal to watch unfold.

Saw this tonight. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Not a masterpiece and some frustrating directorial choices but that last siege on Washington DC in an IMAX auditorium, wow, just wow. My buddy that I went with literally joked that he felt shell-shocked after experiencing that finale, lol.

Back