Can't appreciate my collection...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you should hire someone who knows who to tastefully display a collection who can do it for you.

I went through a very similar phase, my answer was to refocus my collection. I stick to characters I'm either passionate about or inspire me. As a result, I have a much cleaner collection and it isn't just collecting for the sake of collecting.

I think I get where you're coming from... I have a slightly smaller house mainly occupied with 3 teen boys and their friends... I have a little corner office downstairs - not walled off - and I get a little paranoid sometimes that something will get broken. I think my real issue is that I haven't found the proper shelving/cabinet/display unit to keep everything safe and yet still be able to admire it (I don't feel the need to 'show it off'... I collect for my pleasure, not for the opinion of others). If anyone has some suggestions as to some great display units (especially for Sideshow Premiums) please share. In the meantime Xeno - if it helps - I'll safekeep some of your items for you ;-)

a 3k sq ft house is a pretty decent size. Sounds like you have just an unfocused collection, like others are saying, figure out what theme you enjoy the most and sell off that does;t fit.

That is what I did when I got rid of my 6" figure collection once I got into 1/6 figures

You should go on like that collection intervention show! Id let that girl look at meh Toz anyday.

I think many of us need therapists...myself included.
This dilemma is common for many collectors. Two of my buddies who live by, who have much smaller collections than I, stop by my house at different times. One is the "good conscience" and the other is the "bad conscience". I've leveraged their ideas and can now collect with clarity. I sold many items I swore I'd never sell, re-focused, but still collect most different things: autographs, artwork, 1/6 scale, and some Hasblow Marvel and Star Wars. Felt so good to "purge" many pieces I've accumulated since the collector bug hit big time in the 90's.

Manage what you can, store what you must, appreciate all you can.

I personally know xeno. And I can attest to the fact his collection is massive. Right now its all chilling in his basement in boxes and I understand his frustration
He really just needs to renovate the entire basement into a mancave just to display everything. But that comes at a price.... a rather large money sign price. I hope one day he does it because the majority of his pieces are grails. From 1/1 alien and pred busts.. to alien 3 rod puppets and actual screen worn outfits. Its amazing. And the list goes on and on and on and on hahahaha.

If you can't display all your stuff comfortably, sell until you're at the point where you can. Injecting a huge amount of money to renovate an entire basement will just inject more stress into your life, making you want to smash your **** even more. That sounds like fighting fire with fire. Selling stuff off when space becomes a problem and new stuff that you'd rather have is released is necessary to a healthy collecting mindset. Collectors who buy things and then sell them down the road take a lot of **** for just 'renting' collectibles, or are considered haphazard spenders that just buy whatever, get bored, and sell, but I think it's more about having a conscious mind about space and saturation.

If you knew his collection you would know selling any of it is not an option. He has had very fine and particular tastes throughout the years. And the majority of it is sell your left testicle kinda stuff hahahaha

^Sadly, that's completely irrelevant if it never sees the light of day.

^^ Exactly. Better to spend some money on a dedicated display area than leave everything boxed up. Getting my displays together and finishing the room was actually a fun experience and helped me appreciate what I'd acquired in my collection. I love walking in and seeing everything put together.

Back