C3P0 new hasbro project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi monkeybat.
I have a question, where abouts did you get the ball joints for the arms? and any joy with casting the binos?

Well , I've had a bit of a Christmas hiatus , as my workshop ( i.e kitchen table ) has to be kept clear of "junk" over the holiday period . I have got one arm " jointed up " though and it works pretty good ! Now I know the technique works I should imagine the process will speed up and I hope to post some pics in the next week or so .

Have you managed to get hold of some ball joints Thundergod? If so where did you acquire them!! I would love to get my hands on some!!

I admire all of your guys persistence. After taking a crack at doing this, I just deiced that it really didn't need all that articulation. I think I'll just settle for swivel arms and wrists. Please keep us all posted, I would really like to see how it turns out.

One great source for small ball joints is RC parts suppliers, they have all types and sizes, to see whats out there just search for "ball joints" on ebay and most will be RC parts, then do some pricing out to see where you can get them the cheapest. There quite a few different other styles for RC applications, the problem is they are not a really tight fit and will not stay where you want them without modding them as they are intended for steering and servo linkages.
ewrge.jpg

By vivisectvi at 2010-01-03

A really cheap source is Lego Technic sets, and some standard sets. I used the bright colored pieces for a clearer picture but black and grey are common. These are very tight and will stay where you want them even with a bunch of weight on them. You can just dremel away what you dont need from both pieces and mod them to fit most projects very easy. The one in picture has a ball size of 1 cm.

dscf4694a.jpg

The Technic Lego sets have a few different types and sizes of ball joints as well, the style in picture is particularly cheap as they come with Bionical sets that are basically action figure made out of Technic pieces, they are literally a dime a dozen at 2nd hand stores here in Chicago where Im from, also they seem to go cheap on ebay as nobody seem to want them :lol. The Upside is that each of the Bionicles comes with 8 or more ball joints of different types.

Anyhow I hope this is a help to anyone in search of ball joints.

Last edited:
Right here goes, the Holidays and Bad weather has halted my bino work. It was very cold the last time i attempted to mold them, it failed due to cold. Holidays means no one seems to be able to get me some more supplies so it can wait until the 4th. Actionman donated his shoulder sockets for the ball and socket and i used his hips for the legs. All the best and happy New year.

Have you managed to get hold of some ball joints Thundergod? If so where did you acquire them!! I would love to get my hands on some!!
I came across a bag full of Lego "Bionicle" parts at a car boot , they're practically identical to the above "Technic" parts and a lot cheaper! ( Plus some of the other bits and bobs will no doubt find their way into future bashes ).
( Edit: Oops , just read the text in Vivisect's post and he says the same thing !)

I came across a bag full of Lego "Bionicle" parts at a car boot , they're practically identical to the above "Technic" parts and a lot cheaper! ( Plus some of the other bits and bobs will no doubt find their way into future bashes ).
( Edit: Oops , just read the text in Vivisect's post and he says the same thing !)

Yea, those Bionicals were always cheap technic parts, Ive recently sold my Technic and Droid Developer kits plus all the bionicals as a big lot, with the exception of a lot of ball joints I kept for myself.:D

Also like Hes doing with this custom, the cheap husky Hasbro Star Wars, G I Joe and Action Man bodies are a good source. I even have a bunch of very generic dollar store 12" bodies, these are hollow hard plastic but look like they came out of Hasbro G I Joe molds, the figures are mostly junk, but for parts and some of the accessories they were worth it for $1 a piece.

Back