Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys playhouse toys have brought out a muscle body that is quite good looking, I think that it could be used for Hicks/Hudson the hands are un-gloved and are molded in with the arms.
I will try and add a link when I get the chance, but the figure is called something like dboy in Mogadishu.

does anyone have a good guide to what the armor camo pattern from the movie looks like?

I've got two sets of grunt armor, working on getting a 3rd now, I customized one, and one is the original hot toys pattern, so of course it's bugging me they don't have the same pattern haha

so I'd like to redo the both of them, but I'm always worried I'm gonna mess the pattern up.

I've also got a 1:1 scale set I'd like to fix too haha, so this could help me there aswell

and yeah, can't wait for my MAA bdus to get here, I got two sets of his 1:1 stuff a year ago for me and my girlfriend, they're awesome, can't wait for my 1:6 scale marines to be all geared up.

I've done two sets of 1/1 armor and will be doing a third set shortly- I just painted a set in 1/6th using screen accurate colors as well as the camo shapes. I'm uber busy at a new job and haven't had time to post pics yet, I'll try to do so as soon as possible. I'll try and describe it, bear with me- Base color is Tamiya Field Grey- Brown is Tamiya Flat Brown- the "goldenrod color" is Games Workshop - Vomit Brown. The light grey is Games Workshop- Space Wolves Grey.

These colors are all held against my SA armors, the colors were from color swatches I got from Chris Chulamanis.

The Tamiya paints go on perfect, nice and smooth, one coat. The GW Vomit Brown, while a near identical match, is formulated a bit too thin, requiring two coats. My Space Wolves Grey is a bluish grey, works fine for the "wisps" of grey on the armor. The Vomit Brown stands out when the armor is "new", but once you go over the armor with a black wash, it tones it down perfect. And of course the weathering.

I'll take pics of mine with just the "freshly issued" look and post them. I'll hold off on the graffitii...:D

The shapes of the Flat Brown and Vomit Brown are similar to the shapes in Woodland Camo- kind of cloud-like, with the two colors touching on at least one side, if that makes sense. The pattern was first taken from pics of the Hudson armor on Harry Harris' site. I didn't attempt to duplicate the exact pattern on this armor, as it's my personal set, or will be a "mini-me". Actually, it's the camo design I plan on my third set of 1/1 armor, I hate trying to actually duplicate the curves of someone else's camo shapes.:google

The wispy grey lines are almost vertical, running "down from green, into the two browns".

Again, apologies for not having pics yet, hope the description made some sense.

Sure thing:

DSCN2594.jpg

DSCN2595.jpg

Always enjoy catching up on this thread. I got a HT powerloader a few weeks ago and had fun customizing Ripley, really wanted to get screen accurate look. Not quite finished yet but I am pleased so far. The powerloader is a great piece!

Last edited:
hey guys i see some of you are looking for hicks heads. im selling a les walker hicks head in the commerce section. the base was a hudson head. but i also got a stoner spare if anyone is interested PM me. i know the hicks heads are hard to come by!
oh and MONKEYBAT KEEP THAT POWERLOADER :)

Cheers Guys but has anyone made any mods were the hoses have broken off. I have seen small accurate metal parts for attaching hydraulic hoses on a 1/6 power loader somewhere.

Monkeybat, The hoses you mention are an absolute BALL ACHE!! When my powerloader arrived I had every intention of going down the metal pin route as most of the yellow pegs had snapped off or were just about to snap. Normally I am a perfectionist with these things but in the end I decided to try using glue to secure them back in place. I tried several types of superglue to no avail.... the way the hoses bend create a lot of tension at the back that made it diificult for them to stay in place. My hot glue gun that has never let me down was no use either. In the end I went for a bostik glue that remains slightly flexible when dry.... it was very fiddly but now they are all securely in place. It does look a bit bessy if you look close enough but I think i will use some watery brown paint to cover the excess glue hopefully making it look like oil/grease.
In answer to your question though, yes there are some metal pins that should do the job if you wanna go that route, I think they are used in remote controlled cars.... I might be wrong though.
Anyway whatever you decide to do, good luck.

hey hicks fans. i have both a hudson/ hicks head and a
SPIKEY HAIR HICKS in the commerce. both painted by les . figured i give you aliens fans a quick heads up!

Here's some pics of my repainted armor- not happy at all with my camera atm, but you can get an idea-

Freshly issued from the Quartermaster-
Hollissixtharmorset.jpg

Hollissixthchestarmor.jpg

Weathered-
I added my armor's graffitii- those little bitty letters, especially the Marine's name :horror It took foooorrrreeever to do the name.:banghead Still not happy with it, but...

USCNsixthfront.jpg

USCMSixthback.jpg

Unfortunantly, I can't get any non-blurry shots of the rest. My damn camera has been tried and true since 06, but now, it's just about ready to be thrown against the wall...tried every damn thing, even resorted to reading the manual! :google

Here's a shot of my 1/1 armor-

USCMsixthHollis.jpg

Not bad at all Holliz, only the name could have bin dun a bit better.
What you can do is buy a blanco sticker, draw the letters on it ,stick it on the right place on the armor, carefully cut the letters out with a sharp fresh hobby knife , i say carefully becouse you dont wanna touch the armor , hehe..
After that you can spray a couple thin layers of paint on it or you could use a brush but a spraycan or airbrush is better becouse you wont have hairs pushing the paint under the sticker..
or you need a rub-on-sheed with your name on it,
I would like a few rub-on-skin with apone hicks and hudson for the rest of the armor, like the backside of the leg armor and the backsides of the helmets.
BTW Very cool 1/1 armor,

Last edited:
Thanks much guys! I've a new camera and should be posting pics of the rest of the armor soon.

Yeah, the letters suck. Took a ton of time to do as well. I've got a buddy who's coming to the rescue! He's going to make waterslide transfers for the lettering! Doing all my team as well. Some extra grafitii too. :D Gave him the 1/1 scale dimensions, he says he can whip them out! :D:D

I've asked him if he can do the PR's ammo counter in a red on black
"95" as well. Hope so!! The HT's green on black "99" just doesn't cut it.

Have patch sets available for sale.One sheet will do 3 marines,2 marines and an officer or 2 marines and a pilot/navigator.Also comes with 3 USCM patch and blank name patches.Will be posting them in the for sale section soon.Asking $15us plus postage.

Have patch sets available for sale.One sheet will do 3 marines,2 marines and an officer or 2 marines and a pilot/navigator.Also comes with 3 USCM patch and blank name patches.Will be posting them in the for sale section soon.Asking $15us plus postage.

Thank for letting us know dano,:D

Back