Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tips Bigbison. I am also reading Space Jockey´s armor painting tutorial!!

I built my Hudson with a new body, boots and a place holder head. I know its not the correct stand for him.

Also, put the jacket arms underwater to make them easier to fold back.

Love the detail on Hudson´s armour.

Still lots of work to do on him.

image4.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image10.jpeg

Hi people.
I'm trying to accurize my CMs, and have stumbled open this goldmine of a thread. Problem is that I'm getting mad at such info overload.
Have some newbie questions:

1) Besides the one in the beginning of this thread, is there, at any point in this thread, any write-up with the customizing/kitbashing/painting state of the art? (best mods, best 1/6 parts, best how-tos, etc)

2) Are there more CMs-threads like this one on other sites (OSW, OSR, etc), worth my attention?
This very thread begins with a mention to an older thread where lots of customizing developed. Which one is that older thread?

3) To get me started quickly, I'd need some questions answered (if you guys have been around some time, it'll be easy for you to answer, even providing links to particular posts):

3.1) What is state of the art regarding seamless arms for black/white boys (Hicks/Hudson/Frost/etc)? (CMs must have some bulk to them, but they must not be Thor)
3.2) What is state of the art for Vasquez' seamless arms? And Ripley's seamless arms?
3.3) What is state of the art for 1/6 children, like Newt?
3.4) What is state of the art regarding headsculpts?
3.5) What is state of the art regarding fabric+pleather boots?

4) Any news regarding Hot Toys re-releasing updates of this franchise?

Your contributions may turn this point in the thread into a write-up worth sticking.

Thanks a lot guys.
m.

EDIT: I've seen some pics of 1/6 CMs with their shoulder lamps actually modded to be lit-up. Any guide how to do that, or who does that?

Do you happen to have a link or name for those boots?
Are they hollow (for feet) or do they have a ball joint?

Thanks Kam!

They are in ebay. Pop Toys 1/6 jungle boots. I also bought the Ace Toys radio man ones.

They all have ball joints and pegs included.

Good luck

fb2edf3adc26c1086489cbf2121b08a7.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

EDIT: I've seen some pics of 1/6 CMs with their shoulder lamps actually modded to be lit-up. Any guide how to do that, or who does that?

All you need to do is look up how to wire an led to a battery and switch then do a bit of soldering work and your good to go.

I am trying to find pics of Hudson seath knife with the cord. ANyone can help me??

You after details on the knife/sheath itself? I got those! *hint: it isn't a real gerber mk2. Sheath is a dead giveaway as a knockoff*

Or you just after details on the cord weave, placement and various knots?
Clear views are tough to come by, but these show cord placements (and how the weave doesn't run the length of the cord, just near the kife)
Hudson Pub Photo2.jpg
Hudson wForward Hero.jpg
hudson pub.jpg
Hudson's weave.jpg

Fun fact, Hudson was apparently obsessed with those "love knots". One is painted around the name of his chick (at the time) Louise, one is tied into his "bolo" tie on his right strap, AND one is tied into the paracord over his knife.

Hudson's 3rd knot.jpg

Last edited:
Great. Many thanks.

I am looking more for the type of knife/seath he is using and how it is placed on the armor.But all your pics are welcomed since I will have to make that cord for the seath too. I read as you state it is a knockoff of the Gerber but will place a Gerber like the one Madd Max uses in 1/6 scale.

What I dont know is how I am going to get the little eagle he has on the other side. I got a tutorial on how to do the eagle knot!!

alienshudsonbolotie0104.jpg

by the way my Hikcs and Hudson so far. The first one already bought it customised.

image2.jpeg

Great. Many thanks.

I am looking more for the type of knife/seath he is using and how it is placed on the armor.But all your pics are welcomed since I will have to make that cord for the seath too. I read as you state it is a knockoff of the Gerber but will place a Gerber like the one Madd Max uses in 1/6 scale.

What I dont know is how I am going to get the little eagle he has on the other side. I got a tutorial on how to do the eagle knot!!

by the way my Hikcs and Hudson so far. The first one already bought it customised.

Cool. Sorry, not a great resolution pic, but this is the knife in case you still wanted a reference.
image.jpg

As for the eagle, some old resin eagles are circulating out there. I believe Chris "FNG" Chulamanis did a run before his tragic passing. I think others have made them as well since I have seen at least 2 different kinds in the early pages of this thread. They are obviously not common, but they do exist if you don't want to scratch build your own.

As for some quick easy tweaks on your Hudson, you can ditch some of the stuff to make it more accurate.
-He didnt have grenades at all.
-The pistol is unnecessary. He never had one 'on screen' anyways. (Costume tests polaroids reveal he had one at one point early on in fitting, but it was dropped as his 'Hack-pouch' replaced it on that hip. The pistol was never seen on-screen.)
-He only needs 2 pouches. 1 each of the small and large. Not sure why Hot Toys insisted shipping 3 pouches for everyone when no one had more than 2. Hicks only had 1 and the smartgunners had zero.

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the complicated stuff.

Come on people.
Nobody willing to condense and dump their knowledge?

m.

Hi people.
I'm trying to accurize my CMs, and have stumbled open this goldmine of a thread. Problem is that I'm getting mad at such info overload.
Have some newbie questions:

1) Besides the one in the beginning of this thread, is there, at any point in this thread, any write-up with the customizing/kitbashing/painting state of the art? (best mods, best 1/6 parts, best how-tos, etc)

2) Are there more CMs-threads like this one on other sites (OSW, OSR, etc), worth my attention?
This very thread begins with a mention to an older thread where lots of customizing developed. Which one is that older thread?

3) To get me started quickly, I'd need some questions answered (if you guys have been around some time, it'll be easy for you to answer, even providing links to particular posts):

3.1) What is state of the art regarding seamless arms for black/white boys (Hicks/Hudson/Frost/etc)? (CMs must have some bulk to them, but they must not be Thor)
3.2) What is state of the art for Vasquez' seamless arms? And Ripley's seamless arms?
3.3) What is state of the art for 1/6 children, like Newt?
3.4) What is state of the art regarding headsculpts?
3.5) What is state of the art regarding fabric+pleather boots?

4) Any news regarding Hot Toys re-releasing updates of this franchise?

Your contributions may turn this point in the thread into a write-up worth sticking.

Thanks a lot guys.
m.

I think it's just that it would involve that person going over the thread and making notes since its been going for 9 years. That's a lot of work.
Don't worry I am new to this thread too and have started from the top and am making my own notes. My 2 marines haven't even arrived yet (Hudson and Vasquez) but I have plans!

Now to find a Hicks...

Yes, Asgardianboy. As Manannin said, you asked for a TON of info. It is dangerously close to asking someone to write your research paper for you. :wink1:

That said, off the top of my head...

1 - *see bottom of this post for my notes/additions/tweaks to first page info*

2 - I wasn't around in the early days, but I know of no other thread here or the OSW that would have a more condensed version of this info.

3.1 - Regarding any bodies, try OSW for the most current info.
Seamless male bodies have not come very far last I checked They always lack mobility and longevity. I haven't tried them all, but I can tell you the "D-Boy" Mogadishu body is not a good choice. The figure itself is too short (can't have Hicks be the shortest guy in the room!) and the wires pop out the fingers.

3.2 - Phycan stainless steel frame bodies seem to be the most advanced female seamless bodies. It may be a good choice for Ripley. They are supposedly nice, but I dont have any and I am also pretty sure, like most female bodies, they are pretty short and small. Weaver is 6ft, so even they wont be very accurate.
NO ONE makes a good 'buff' female body, let alone a seamless one. For my Vaz I used an old CyGirl body. They were famous for having manly looking women, so you can find some that have general 'mass' to them, but none are great. In short, keep dreaming. 1/6th companies have their hands full with sexy/busty skinny chicks. It is unlikely anyone ever makes a 'buff' female.

3.3 - Take a stroll down the doll isle. Barbie is getting some competition lately and some of it is a bit more realistic. I think modifying one of those is your best bet. High end replica 7 year old children is a weird thing man. I mean "WE" know it is for newt, and not something weird. Still...I suggest you modify/build your own rather than go searching for it. Can't imagine anything good will come from having that in your browser history! :lol

3.4 - Snyderman's sculpts on ebay are pricey, but likely the best out there. Bill Kern has a nice Hudson that is also available and not expensive at all. Usually it comes unpainted though. For the most part other Hicks and Hudson's out there are either not great or simply no longer available. Some pop up on the secondary market if you keep your eyes open. The "Stoner" head and stock Hudson head can be repainted into a decent Michael Biehn. The Apone head actually is better than you might think after a repaint. I was shocked how good some people can make it look after ditching the stupid goatee and painting it properly.

3.5 - ACE, Soldier Story, and Toy soldier, PlayToy, DAM and several others all offer this type of boot now. They are not rare and go for $20-30. In a perfect world get the 'Vabrim' soled ones (not 'panama' soles).

4. - No. They have teased an updated Ripley for 2 years now and it still isn't up for pre-order (meaning another year at least). With how full the roster from the Marvel Movies and Star Wars are, it is safe to assume Hot Toys has their hands full and the marines are never coming back.

Back to your 1st question. Here are the basics. (In addition to Wor-Gar's list, and I have probably repeated a lot of what he said. Also I'm sure I forgot stuff. I will update if I remember more)

For everyone (all the Hot Toys marines)
-Ditch the grenades. Only Hicks had grenades on his right strap. None of the other Hot Toys figures they made actually wore grenades. (Only Ski and Frost even had grenades besides Hicks.)
-Cut the decorative webbing OFF the pouches. they were solid OD green canvas. Not multicolored with decorative webbing. You may need to glue back together...
-Ditch the pouches and start all over. No one had 3 pouches. Why hot toys give everyone 3 pouches I have no idea... (details in each character below)
-"Weather" the BDUs. Fade them mostly, but either way try to make them less "yellow"
-Replace the stock boots with Vabrim pattern boots (Note: Vasquez had black 'ranger' boots, not the jungle boots the men wore)

If you want to get really obsessive:
-Repaint the armor or simply paint over the 'bad colors'. No "olive drab" or that aweful yellowish green was used. Find a nice sand/tan and go over the greenish yellow and go over the olive drab with a very very dark green. Or just start all over. All good, just get those 2 colors gone.

For Apone:
-He has a boot knife (shorter than Hudsons) on his right strap, UNDER the VP70 holster.
-VP70 holster should run diagonal so the bottom ties off to the base of his left strap (not vertical)
-Flamethrower is not needed unless you are doing the scene where he roasts the hugger. He took Frost's flame thrower, so it isn't really "his" (Fine if you love that scene, just saying...)
-Ditch the 3rd "pouch" on his belt. He only had 2 (1 big, 1 small).
-Find 3 'belt tools'. One high on the left strap, one on the right hip and one on the left side.
-Ditch the hand welder (he never carried one)

For Hicks
-Replace Hands (or use natural hands when getting new body). He didnt wear gloves.
-Drill out the 'hole' where "Born again" is painted on his left shoulder bell
-Write "Non Toxic" over his codpiece on his ab-plate in gray
-Write his solcial security number across his upper arm (his tattoo)
-Paint "LIFER" in white between the lower brackets on his back
-Paint the red 'kanji' above "LIFER"
-Get a tan helmet band
-Attach a chin strap and tuck the bits under his helmet band (so they are pulled tight out of the way)
-Replace the cartoon style 870 shotgun he came with. (Ideally use a modded full size 21C toys Ithaca 37, but a 'stakeout' Ithaca 37 works in a pinch)
-Hicks has only 1 pouch! Ditch the 2 small ones. He only had the one big one.
-Find 1 'belt tool' for his right pelvis area.
-Run 3 grenades in right strap if going for the middle/later movie effect. 4 grenades for a "pre-crap-hits-the-fan" look.
-Give him a white wrist band or tape on his right wrist
-Get rid of the fancy webbing on the hand welder. He actually just had it tied to his belt with paracord (with a loop the window was tucked into and dangling from)

For Hudson
-All the stuff Wor-Gar already said about his personalizations, grafitti fixes, and paracord)
-Replace hands (or leave natural hands on new body). He didn't wear gloves.
-Add a "Hack Pouch" on his right hip
-Add an "Eagle" bolo tie to his right strap
-Only 2 pouches (ditch the 2nd 'small' pouch)
-Ditch the VP70 entirely.
-Find a 'belt tool' for his left side on the belt.
-Get a Gerber style fighting knife and get a black leather sheath on that left strap
-Wrap left elbow in 'bandage' if going for a post-hive look (if you have a whining headsculpt, this is a must)
-Burn/drill some holes in the back of the left shoulder bells and flaps from when he got burned in the APC escaping from the hive (if you want a battle damaged post-hive look only, of course)
-Give him a dark wrist band/wrap/tape job on his right wrist
-You can take or leave the hand welder. He started with one, but later gave his to Vasquez (not shown on screen, but when Vaz has one then Hudson doesnt. So you can do the math). If doing 'early' Hudson, just tie it to his belt with 'para-cord'. If doing middle/late hudson then ditch it.

For Vasquez
-Ditch the VP70 and holster completely. Get a S&W Model 39.
-Use her OD belt and find another to build a holster chest rig so the model 39 sits under her breastplate
-Ditch ALL pouches. She has zero.
-I recommend trimming the sleeves on her BDU even further back than they are
-You can change her boots if you want, but accurate french ranger boots are not made to my knowledge. Her boots WERE black and were NOT the jungle boots the men wore, so don't stress it too much. Her stock black boots are not as terrible as they could be.
-Take the mislabeled 'batteries' she came with. They are the 'belt tools'. Hot Toys screwed that up. Give them to Hicks and Hudson!!! (1 each).
-Add a short "boot knife" tied to her right boot
-Ditch the hand welder (ONLY when full smart-gunned out. When she ditches the smart gun rig and starts carrying the pulse, she starts to use Hudson's hand welder and its accurate for her to have one. But she never had one to start the movie nor when carrying her smart gun)

For Drake
-Ditch the VP70 and holster completely.
-Ditch ALL pouches and the big olive drab belt. He has zero.
-Take the mislabeled 'batteries' he came with. They are the 'belt tools'. Give them to Apone! (Apone needs 3, but hey, its a start)
-Add a short "boot knife" tied to his LEFT boot.
-His gun should say "MY *****" on the side...(not Tom. Obviously)
-"GRRRRrrrr" shoudl be written on the right side of the trigger guard and scrolling up into the main block holding the trigger guard
-A bloodshot 'Eye ball' should be painted on to his headset eye-piece
-Some kind of symbol should be painted on to the back of his gloves
-His necklace can be wrapped around the barrel of the smartgun

*Updated 2/15/16*

Last edited:
Yes, Asgardianboy. As Manannin said, you asked for a TON of info. It is dangerously close to asking someone to write your research paper for you. :wink1:

That said, off the top of my head...

1 - *see bottom of this post for my notes/additions/tweaks to first page info*

2 - I wasn't around in the early days, but I know of no other thread here or the OSW that would have a more condensed version of this info.

3.1 - Regarding any bodies, try OSW for the most current info.
Seamless male bodies have not come very far last I checked They always lack mobility and longevity. I haven't tried them all, but I can tell you the "D-Boy" Mogadishu body is not a good choice. The figure itself is too short (can't have Hicks be the shortest guy in the room!) and the wires pop out the fingers.

3.2 - Phycan stainless steel frame bodies seem to be the most advanced female seamless bodies. It may be a good choice for Ripley. They are supposedly nice, but I dont have any and I am also pretty sure, like most female bodies, they are pretty short and small. Weaver is 6ft, so even they wont be very accurate.
NO ONE makes a good 'buff' female body, let alone a seamless one. For my Vaz I used an old CyGirl body. They were famous for having manly looking women, so you can find some that have general 'mass' to them, but none are great. In short, keep dreaming. 1/6th companies have their hands full with sexy/busty skinny chicks. It is unlikely anyone ever makes a 'buff' female.

3.3 - Take a stroll down the doll isle. Barbie is getting some competition lately and some of it is a bit more realistic. I think modifying one of those is your best bet. High end replica 7 year old children is a weird thing man. I mean "WE" know it is for newt, and not something weird. Still...I suggest you modify/build your own rather than go searching for it. Can't imagine anything good will come from having that in your browser history! :lol

3.4 - Snyderman's sculpts on ebay are pricey, but likely the best out there. Bill Kern has a nice Hudson that is also available and not expensive at all. Usually it comes unpainted though. For the most part other Hicks and Hudson's out there are either not great or simply no longer available. Some pop up on the secondary market if you keep your eyes open. The "Stoner" head and stock Hudson head can be repainted into a decent Michael Biehn. The Apone head actually is better than you might think after a repaint. I was shocked how good some people can make it look after ditching the stupid goatee and painting it properly.

3.5 - ACE, Soldier Story, and Toy soldier, PlayToy, DAM and several others all offer this type of boot now. They are not rare and go for $20-30. In a perfect world get the 'Vabrim' soled ones (not 'panama' soles).

4. - No. They have teased an updated Ripley for 2 years now and it still isn't up for pre-order (meaning another year at least). With how full the roster from the Marvel Movies and Star Wars are, it is safe to assume Hot Toys has their hands full and the marines are never coming back.

Back to your 1st question. Here are the basics. (In addition to Wor-Gar's list, and I have probably repeated a lot of what he said. Also I'm sure I forgot stuff. I will update if I remember more)

For everyone (all the Hot Toys marines)
-Ditch the grenades. Only Hicks had grenades on his right strap. None of the other Hot Toys figures they made actually wore grenades. (Only Ski and Frost even had grenades besides Hicks.)
-Cut the decorative webbing OFF the pouches. they were solid OD green canvas. Not multicolored with decorative webbing. You may need to glue back together...
-Ditch the pouches and start all over. No one had 3 pouches. Why hot toys give everyone 3 pouches I have no idea... (details in each character below)
-"Weather" the BDUs. Fade them mostly, but either way try to make them less "yellow"
-Replace the stock boots with Vabrim pattern boots (Note: Vasquez had black 'ranger' boots, not the jungle boots the men wore)

If you want to get really obsessive:
-Repaint the armor or simply paint over the 'bad colors'. No "olive drab" or that aweful yellowish green was used. Find a nice sand/tan and go over the greenish yellow and go over the olive drab with a very very dark green. Or just start all over. All good, just get those 2 colors gone.

For Apone:
-He has a boot knife (shorter than Hudsons) on his right strap, UNDER the VP70 holster.
-VP70 holster should run diagonal so the bottom ties off to the base of his left strap (not vertical)
-Flamethrower is not needed unless you are doing the scene where he roasts the hugger. He took Frost's flame thrower, so it isn't really "his" (Fine if you love that scene, just saying...)
-Ditch the 3rd "pouch" on his belt. He only had 2 (1 big, 1 small).
-Find 3 'belt tools'. One high on the left strap, one on the right hip and one on the left side.

For Hicks
-Replace Hands (or use natural hands when getting new body). He didnt wear gloves.
-Drill out the 'hole' where "Born again" is painted on his left shoulder bell
-Write "Non Toxic" over his codpiece on his ab-plate in gray
-Write his solcial security number across his upper arm (his tattoo)
-Paint "LIFER" in white between the lower brackets on his back
-Paint the red 'kanji' above "LIFER"
-Get a tan helmet band
-Attach a chin strap and tuck the bits under his helmet band (so they are pulled tight out of the way)
-Replace the cartoon style 870 shotgun he came with. (Ideally use a modded full size 21C toys Ithaca 37, but a 'stakeout' Ithaca 37 works in a pinch)
-Hicks has only 1 pouch! Ditch the 2 small ones. He only had the one big one.
-Find 1 'belt tool' for his right pelvis area.
-Run 3 grenades in right strap if going for the middle/later movie effect. 4 grenades for a "pre-crap-hits-the-fan" look.

For Hudson
-All the stuff Wor-Gar already said about his personalizations, grafitti fixes, and paracord)
-Replace hands (or leave natural hands on new body). He didn't wear gloves.
-Add a "Hack Pouch" on his right hip
-Add an "Eagle" bolo tie to his right strap
-Only 2 pouches (ditch the 2nd 'small' pouch)
-Ditch the VP70 entirely.
-Find a 'belt tool' for his left side on the belt.
-Get a Gerber style fighting knife and get a black leather sheath on that left strap
-Wrap left elbow in 'bandage' if going for a post-hive look (if you have a whining headsculpt, this is a must)
-Burn/drill some holes in the back of the left shoulder bells and flaps from when he got burned in the APC escaping from the hive (if you want a battle damaged post-hive look only, of course)

For Vasquez
-Ditch the VP70 and holster completely. Get a S&W Model 39.
-Use her OD belt and find another to build a holster chest rig so the model 39 sits under her breastplate
-Ditch ALL pouches. She has zero.
-I recommend trimming the sleeves on her BDU even further back than they are
-You can change her boots if you want, but accurate french ranger boots are not made to my knowledge. Her boots WERE black and were NOT the jungle boots the men wore, so don't stress it too much. Her stock black boots are not as terrible as they could be.
-Take the mislabeled 'batteries' she came with. They are the 'belt tools'. Hot Toys screwed that up. Give them to Hicks and Hudson!!! (1 each).
-Add a short "boot knife" tied to her right boot

For Drake
-Ditch the VP70 and holster completely.
-Ditch ALL pouches and the big olive drab belt. He has zero.
-Take the mislabeled 'batteries' he came with. They are the 'belt tools'. Give them to Apone! (Apone needs 3, but hey, its a start)
-Add a short "boot knife" tied to his LEFT boot.
-His gun should say "MY *****" on the side...(not Tom. Obviously)
-"GRRRRrrrr" shoudl be written on the right side of the trigger guard and scrolling up into the main block holding the trigger guard
-A bloodshot 'Eye ball' should be painted on to his headset eye-piece
-Some kind of symbol should be painted on to the back of his gloves
-His necklace can be wrapped around the barrel of the smartgun
Someone rep this man.

I have a question for the experts!
Does Hudson come with a pulsemeter? It seems to suggest so on the back of the box but I couldn't find one in mine, or a place in the packaging where it should go.
Vasquez's was obviously there with tape over it...

A follow up question, where do they go on the figure?

Thanks in advance :)

Haven't seen them posted here yet, but Snyderman has two new Colonial Marines portraits up on ebay and facebook. Open mouthed Hicks and Frost.

Back