Bring on the Winter Olympics!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was essentially like watching a competitive NHL All Star Game.

You're not number 1 in total medals ;) Such a close game, the US had the momentum getting to overtime. FOr Canada having the supposed best hockey players in the world on that team, the current younger USA team will surely be a force to be reckoned with next Olympics.

Lame post dude. The fact is we have the best hockey players in the world, but that's right you guys have to be the best at everything. History dictates we're the best as does NHL job employment. There is no supposed, we are. Who are the Champs and Gold medal winners, not once, but twice in the past 3 Olympic competitions? That's rhetorical, we all know the answer to that question. Thank you very much.

We also iced a very young team, so I don't like the last line in your comment. Like our boys won't be a force to be reckoned with in 2014? Crosby will be 26, Toews will be 25, Doughty will be 24, by then Green maybe playing and will be only 28 at the time, as will Getzlaf. Staal will be 29 and then his brother (age 25 by then) maybe with the team. Then you have Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, and the list goes on. Dude, we will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. That's of course if we'll even ice NHL players in future Olympic tournaments. Word has it this may have been the fourth and final time NHL players get to play for their countries in the Olympic Games. We may go back to icing amateurs/prospects.

Also, we are No. 1 where it counts on the Gold podium, and you know what? 26 medals for a Nation of 34 million is something mind blowing. Your population is nearly 10 times larger than our's, and you had 11 more. America did amazing, but so did Canada! So lets not try and cheapen that okay buddy?

WE'RE NO. 1! WE'RE NO. 1! :fireworks

Last edited:
We won. Plain and simple. That's all......

We Canadians need our own gruop. Do it and make one, ELi!:rock

large_flag_of_canada.gif

I believe Canada will be the favorite next go around too. A lot of talk has been made about how young the Americans are, but the Canadians have some young firepower too. They have a few guys that are older, but their depth is incredible and it wouldn't shock me if they are actually better next go around since it was the young guys carrying the load anyways. If I had to look into the future and construct a roster now for 2014, it might look something like you see below. It's clear they're still going to be stacked. All ages in parenthesis are 2014 Olympic ages.

Goalies:
Losing: Brodeur (41).
Keeping: Luongo (34) and Fleury (29).
Adding: One of Cam Ward (30), Steve Mason (25), or Carey Price (26).

Defense:
Losing: Niedermayer (40), Pronger (39), and Boyle (37).
Keeping: Weber (28), Doughty (24), Keith (30), and Seabrook (28).
Adding: Mike Green (29), Tyler Myers (24), and one of Jay Bouwmeester (30) and Dion Phaneuf (28).

Forwads:
Losing: Morrow (35), Thornton (34), Marleau (34)
Keeping: Crosby (25), Staal (29), Iginla (36), Nash (29), Toews (25), Richards (29), Perry (28), Getzlaf (28), Bergeron (29), Heatley (33)
Adding: Steven Stamkos (24), John Tavares (23), and Jeff Carter (29)

On the forwards, literally all of them could in theory return. Eight of them will still be in their 20s and seven are likely locks assuming health (Bergeron will have to fight for his spot). Heatley at 33 is a likely return, and Iginla at 36 despite being the oldest forward will be back I think. Morrow is likely out. Agitators work a lot better at age 31 than 35 and moving him clears the way for Carter/Stamkos/Tavares. Thornton and Marleau are tough to predict, but I think with Marleau likely leaving SJ (and Heatley/Thornton), he'll likely be on the outside looking in come 2014. Jumbo Joe is a toss up, but was totally invisible and I could see Carter getting to play center instead.

The US is a lot more contingent on some prospects developing, whereas Canada doesn't really need ANYBODY to develop. They would be fine even if Price, Myers, Stamkos, and Tavares all flamed out. On defense, Team USA needs some people to step up. Ryan Suter, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, and Paul Martin make a formidable top-4, but do you really want a 32 year-old Mike Komisaek or 33 year-old Brooks Orpik roaming the third pairing? Zach Bogosian is a very likely candidate to roam the blueline, and possibly a great one at that. John Carlson, the guy who scored the game winning goal in OT for the US in this year's World Junior Championships, is another potential future stud. Cam Fowler, a potential top-2 pick in this years draft, is another guy that if he develops quickly could play a role. If Bogosian, Carlson, and Fowler develop, the US could actually be surprisingly deep on defense.

On forward, the US can probably return everyone (if they so choose) save for Drury, Langenbrunner, and maybe Malone. Guys like David Booth (if he ever gets healthy), T.J. Oshie, and James van Riemsdyk would adequately fill their shoes. The US should be very good next go around, but so will Canada (and Sweden and Russia if they learn to play defense).

I believe Canada will be the favorite next go around too. A lot of talk has been made about how young the Americans are, but the Canadians have some young firepower too. They have a few guys that are older, but their depth is incredible and it wouldn't shock me if they are actually better next go around since it was the young guys carrying the load anyways. If I had to look into the future and construct a roster now for 2014, it might look something like you see below. It's clear they're still going to be stacked. All ages in parenthesis are 2014 Olympic ages.

Goalies:
Losing: Brodeur (41).
Keeping: Luongo (34) and Fleury (29).
Adding: One of Cam Ward (30), Steve Mason (25), or Carey Price (26).

Defense:
Losing: Niedermayer (40), Pronger (39), and Boyle (37).
Keeping: Weber (28), Doughty (24), Keith (30), and Seabrook (28).
Adding: Mike Green (29), Tyler Myers (24), and one of Jay Bouwmeester (30) and Dion Phaneuf (28).

Forwads:
Losing: Morrow (35), Thornton (34), Marleau (34)
Keeping: Crosby (25), Staal (29), Iginla (36), Nash (29), Toews (25), Richards (29), Perry (28), Getzlaf (28), Bergeron (29), Heatley (33)
Adding: Steven Stamkos (24), John Tavares (23), and Jeff Carter (29)

On the forwards, literally all of them could in theory return. Eight of them will still be in their 20s and seven are likely locks assuming health (Bergeron will have to fight for his spot). Heatley at 33 is a likely return, and Iginla at 36 despite being the oldest forward will be back I think. Morrow is likely out. Agitators work a lot better at age 31 than 35 and moving him clears the way for Carter/Stamkos/Tavares. Thornton and Marleau are tough to predict, but I think with Marleau likely leaving SJ (and Heatley/Thornton), he'll likely be on the outside looking in come 2014. Jumbo Joe is a toss up, but was totally invisible and I could see Carter getting to play center instead.

The US is a lot more contingent on some prospects developing, whereas Canada doesn't really need ANYBODY to develop. They would be fine even if Price, Myers, Stamkos, and Tavares all flamed out. On defense, Team USA needs some people to step up. Ryan Suter, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, and Paul Martin make a formidable top-4, but do you really want a 32 year-old Mike Komisaek or 33 year-old Brooks Orpik roaming the third pairing? Zach Bogosian is a very likely candidate to roam the blueline, and possibly a great one at that. John Carlson, the guy who scored the game winning goal in OT for the US in this year's World Junior Championships, is another potential future stud. Cam Fowler, a potential top-2 pick in this years draft, is another guy that if he develops quickly could play a role. If Bogosian, Carlson, and Fowler develop, the US could actually be surprisingly deep on defense.

On forward, the US can probably return everyone (if they so choose) save for Drury, Langenbrunner, and maybe Malone. Guys like David Booth (if he ever gets healthy), T.J. Oshie, and James van Riemsdyk would adequately fill their shoes. The US should be very good next go around, but so will Canada (and Sweden and Russia if they learn to play defense).

Now this is a knowledgeable hockey fan. btw My post is not to say that the USA can't beat us. They have proven to us many a times they can so I am not worried necessarily, but I am not thinking this will be an easy task for future teams. While our country produces more NHL talent (for now), and with that depth, your top guys are just as good as our top guys. This game could have gone either way. 3-2 in OT is not a blowout. It was a game that shouldn't even saw Canada give up a 2-0 lead, but they did. I suspect both Canada and USA will both be very tough to beat in 2014. But Russia has home advantage and will want to please the home crowd. Me thinks that Russia will have their best Olympic success in that tournament.

Sweden is usually great on D. They ____ the bed, but in 2006 they were the Champs. They produced the best dman in the last 15 years (Lidstrom) and may have the best all-around dman of the next 15 years in Victor Hedman. Lets not count out Sweden just yet.

Actually to have more fun with that.

Taylor Hall, P.K. Subban, and Tyler Ennis all have a shot of making the Olympics in 2014. Call it a hunch, but those three will be something special by then.

Lame post dude. The fact is we have the best hockey players in the world, but that's right you guys have to be the best at everything. History dictates we're the best as does NHL job employment. There is no supposed, we are. Who are the Champs and Gold medal winners, not once, but twice in the past 3 Olympic competitions? That's rhetorical, we all know the answer to that question. Thank you very much.

We also iced a very young team, so I don't like the last line in your comment. Like our boys won't be a force to be reckoned with in 2014? Crosby will be 26, Toews will be 25, Doughty will be 24, by then Green maybe playing and will be only 28 at the time, as will Getzlaf. Staal will be 29 and then his brother (age 25 by then) maybe with the team. Then you have Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, and the list goes on. Dude, we will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. That's of course if we'll even ice NHL players in future Olympic tournaments. Word has it this may have been the fourth and final time NHL players get to play for their countries in the Olympic Games. We may go back to icing amateurs/prospects.

Also, we are No. 1 where it counts on the Gold podium, and you know what? 26 medals for a Nation of 34 million is something mind blowing. Your population is nearly 10 times larger than our's, and you had 11 more. America did amazing, but so did Canada! So lets not try and cheapen that okay buddy?

WE'RE NO. 1! WE'RE NO. 1! :fireworks
When you guys weren't doing good the first week, you were using the excuse that it was because of the population. Now since you got the most gold medals, now you're giving yourself props for your lower population. Come on, Eli, give this up already. :rolleyes:

And his post wasn't lame. :p

That game last night was FANTASTIC! WOOOOO! Props to the US for bringing it on. But we brought it on just that much more when it really mattered. However, now everyone knows whose game they're playing. GOLD FOR CANADA! OWNED THE PODIUM FOR GOLD!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/7v0o27BPIIk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/7v0o27BPIIk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

when the torch came to windsor it was such an amazing moment.
CANADA as one !

I will never forget this games.
I just bought this so I will never forget them.
https://www.vancouver2010.com/store...ed-edition-blu-ray-box-set/prodBLURAYSET.html

I belived !

You gonna stick around this time when we win?

:monkey1

:lol now thats gotta hurt.....kinda like Sundays going to for you canyuks. bring it.

Oh it's on, on Sunday. Canada got punked by team USA and will again. :rock

That probably came from the same source that said the USA wouldn't medal in Hockey.....:D

USA got silver in both men's and women's... Congrats. Just like in geography-- you'll always be beneath us. :naughty

don't need medals to know that the USA is always #1.:rock

Except in hockey... And in 12 other winter events. But congrats on all those third place finishes.

Great Winter Games everyone. Patriotism isn't simply reserved for the U.S. of A.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/BzCMfrPHRnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/BzCMfrPHRnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I was at a party and when he scored evryone went crazy !
CANADA #1

I still need to buy a scarf and those damn mittens! Everywhere I go, it's sold out! And I think I got fat(or fatter!) from last night's feast!:rotfl

Back