Bootleg games. Your feelings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about Botleg games

• Total voters
It's not the cops that will catch you, it's the game companies. They don't like people stealing their stuff too much and they'll sue you for all you have and more.

Well sooner or later those of you who buy pirated copies of games will get caught. Justice will find you. You may not think so now but sooner or later the odds say you'll slip and get busted. They may not have found you yet, but when they do you'll wish you never started it. You think your slick now but I'll be mentally laughing my ass off when you all are dealing with the consequences. Crime does not pay.

Yeah, because our legal system works really well.

Pirating games isn't that risky, the only way you get caught is online if the system can somehow figure out you're using a modded console, then they'll just ban your account from the online service. The people that get in legal trouble are the people that are selling the bootleg games or hardware to mod the consoles (like the Nintendo DS R4 thing).

Yeah, because our legal system works really well.

Pirating games isn't that risky, the only way you get caught is online if the system can somehow figure out you're using a modded console, then they'll just ban your account from the online service. The people that get in legal trouble are the people that are selling the bootleg games or hardware to mod the consoles (like the Nintendo DS R4 thing).

That I will agree with you. The gaming companies have no interest in going after individual users who download "free" software now and again. The companies will end up loosing more money in their legal expenses, and they will not gain any significant amount of compensation.

However, making a business out of bootlegs is a different story. If the companies do find bootleggers they will make their lives miserable. After all, it's better to eleminate a problem at it's root source, than just attack it's symptoms (the "root source" being the bootleggers, and the "symptoms", being individual users who occasionally purchase or download from bootleggers).

Not that I condone the downloading of bootlegs :lol.

Well sooner or later those of you who buy pirated copies of games will get caught. Justice will find you. You may not think so now but sooner or later the odds say you'll slip and get busted. They may not have found you yet, but when they do you'll wish you never started it. You think your slick now but I'll be mentally laughing my ass off when you all are dealing with the consequences. Crime does not pay.

You are so right, NOT. There is NO WAY they would punish people for buying pirated games, downloading music, downloading movies and stuff like that. They really care about who is selling them and which sites let you download. Those are the people they are after. Almost everyone that has a computer i bet has downloaded a song/movie they dont own. There might be a very few number of people that were made an example of and they probably got fined. I doubt you will ever see jail time for buying a pirated game. I just download Resident Evil 5 gotta run.

Jail time, no but 100$ fine per game, yes.
Ofcorse, some companies ( microsoft) will let you go with a warning if you point out the person who sold them to you.

Lets try to put this into persepective for those of you who do this. What do you do for a job? I've got allmot No idea what many of you do, but think of it in these terms. Tommorow you go into work, and you're expected to continue doing you job, but your employers no longer wish to pay you your full rate becuase " the economy is rough" Or perhaps they no longer have any desire to pay you at all, how would you feel about that?

Bootleg games like bootleg anything are bad for the industry. But the world today is where alot of individuals think everything should be free. And so we have sites dedicated to letting you download anything and everything. I'm not saying game companies are our friends and they treat us with love and respect and everything they do is great hell no sometimes they do things that are downright wrong. Wii games for example for what they are they are to expensive, doesn't mean if I got a Wii I'd go ahead and download games.

Games these days even have less effort put into testing then they should, before this generation you couldn't patch a game so it had to be damn near perfect before release now companies have no issue sending out games with tons of bugs in them and just addressing it in a patch later. Yet our cost goes up never down. Still doesn't mean downloading or buying bootleg copies for cheaper is right.

Bootlegging effectively has helped to cripple PC gaming. If it gets out of hand one day it will help cripple home consoles and then you'll need an active internet connection just to activate the game like many PC games do. And it will hurt thoes who dont have any involvement with taking thier machines online.

People can bootleg all they want I cant stop them, I can only do what I think is right for me. but if one day gaming in general is dead and bootleging was a contributing factor those parties who were activley involved shouldn't complain as they helped.

Games these days even have less effort put into testing then they should, before this generation you couldn't patch a game so it had to be damn near perfect before release now companies have no issue sending out games with tons of bugs in them and just addressing it in a patch later. Yet our cost goes up never down. Still doesn't mean downloading or buying bootleg copies for cheaper is right.

Actually, games these days have much more testing than they did previously. They take a lot more work there's just so much put into them that they do what they can to get out all of the bugs but they still can take up to 3 years to make. And even more specifically with PC games there are so many configurations that it's hard to make sure that they won't ever have any problems.

I believe at some point there will be some kind of unified gaming/computer service that people pay for that will solve both the game pirating problem and bring PC gaming back. Essentially remote systems that you can access with some kind of device that just sends commands to the remote system and then receives a feed to display.

That was the idea behind the Phantom, which i still think is/was a hoax system. It's also not too terribly different from how Steam is designed to work.

I have 2 copies of halo 3. I hate playing split screen because im beast. One is downloaded and the other is bought. Is it wrong to burn a copy if I already own the game?

I voted stealing. IMO, there is no way to justify selling or purchasing anything bootlegged. However, I make copies of every Wii game we own. When we first bought the Wii, my kids ended up scratching Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy so bad that the Wii stopped recognizing them. Since then, I purchased a mod chip and I've backed up every game we've purchased since. The originals are locked up safe and the kids only have access to the copies.

I have 2 copies of halo 3. I hate playing split screen because im beast. One is downloaded and the other is bought. Is it wrong to burn a copy if I already own the game?

I voted stealing. IMO, there is no way to justify selling or purchasing anything bootlegged. However, I make copies of every Wii game we own. When we first bought the Wii, my kids ended up scratching Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy so bad that the Wii stopped recognizing them. Since then, I purchased a mod chip and I've backed up every game we've purchased since. The originals are locked up safe and the kids only have access to the copies.

I think backup copies of stuff you actually own is legally allowed. It's just that they make it hard to do.

Darth Viper is correct in this. there is a law providing for such a thing, it's referred to as "personal use"

As long as YOU made the copy, YOURSELF to use in YOUR home, you are fine. this applies to anything that can be duplicated, and you're fine until you give it away or sell it.

In the US, the DMCA pretty much states that even if you own it, it is illegal to circumvent the copy protection on any software and/or media.

I've yet to hear of anyone prosecuted for it, but it is illegal to backup anything that is copy protected. I doubt "Fair Use" laws would trump the DMCA, but as far as I know it's never been challenged.

Alot of the new PC games only allow you to load the game 1-3 times. Or have STEAM, which you can't sell the game unless you giveaway your account. Plus all the junk you have to put on your PC to play the game. I'll be downloading PC games for now.

Alot of the new PC games only allow you to load the game 1-3 times. Or have STEAM, which you can't sell the game unless you giveaway your account. Plus all the junk you have to put on your PC to play the game. I'll be downloading PC games for now.

That is why I play console games.

Eh. I don't care either way. In reality it been going on for a while, modding systems and cracking the license keys or simply ripping a copy of the game. I wouldn't do it because it isn't that important to me. If I want a game I'll just go buy it but its really no different than the folks who rent Netflix DVDs and burn copies of them or BitTorrent anything.

Back