Bootleg games. Your feelings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about Botleg games

• Total voters

lerath666

Super Freak
Reaction score
A recent conversation in another thread got me thinking about this topic, and it's something I've not thought about in a while. so here's a thread JUST for this topic.

This is something that can get very very ugly very fast, so please, feel free to voice your opinions, but try to be polite with each other, ok?
If you use them, why do you use them, if not, why not?

No point to 'em imo. If your life is that boring that you can't wait until a game comes out, then a bootleg buyer should probably try living.

A lot of people get bootleg PC games. Some PC games require a cd-key to play online, so I couldn't bootleg those. Sure, there are xbox/psn bootleg games, but it's MUCH easier to get them for PC. You have to manually modify your xbox/psn and it's just takes too much time and you can screw up your system. If you like a game, buy it and play it online.

I'm of the thought, that if you do it, you do it. You shouldn't be called names or vilified for it. It's kind of funny, the companies are complaining that bootlegging are ruining their bottom line, etc. Well, this maybe true, but don't complain that your industry is so easy to pirate.

No point to 'em imo. If your life is that boring that you can't wait until a game comes out, then a bootleg buyer should probably try living.
agreed. with that said i had the French version of halo2 weeks before it was released. it was awesome to have played through the game before most everyone else. that's the only bootleg i've ever owned or played.

Not just bootlegging to get a game early, What about people who NEVER buy games at retail. People who bootleg to get an advance copy, while kinda impatient, don't bother me so long as they Buy an actual Retail copy once it comes out.

Remember kiddies, just like any other industry, the consumer votes wit h their wallets, and companies will listen. if something sells well, we will see it again.

I have a couple old system emulators on my computer (snes, N64, GB) but I dunno if that's considered playing bootleg games.

with online rental companies like gamefly there no excuse to buy pirated stuff, for a small monthly fee you can play as many games as you like

I have a couple old system emulators on my computer (snes, N64, GB) but I dunno if that's considered playing bootleg games.

But more often than not, with me at least, I usually only get the ROMS from games that I already have for NES/SNES/etc

I think I'm going to start getting games for free. All the new PC games have "STEAM" and other crap that ruin your compter, and some you can only install 3 times. Just a bunch of crap. I bought Empire Total War, but I'm going to return it and download it. I'm not putting Steam on my PC.

I usually just get my games off the clearance rack a few months later when they are less than $20. Still good games.

I went the pirate route, not worth it to try and find the right executable, get viruses, missing the book, etc.

I don't want to sound like an antypiracy commercial, but you don't just go and steal somebody's car, so why the frak would you buy a pirated game which is exactly the same-stealing. And it's not like those things are that expensive. In the end it comes back at us gamers - games we like don't make money, no more games like that are made. Everybody looses.

I voted don't care either way. I mean it is stealing and wrong, BUT the video game industry doesn't have to gharge $60 a pop for a new game to make a profit either.

I have a modded 360 and I love downloading games for free! Life is great!

I voted don't care either way. I mean it is stealing and wrong, BUT the video game industry doesn't have to gharge $60 a pop for a new game to make a profit either.
exactly...i don't condone it, but i also like to laugh at people when they get caught doing it because they always act surprised about it.

Never_go_full_retard.jpg

Well, the main reason for why a lot of companies charge $60 a pop, is to make up for their lost sales because of illegal downloads/bootlegs. If it weren't for the bootleggers stealing billions of dollars per year from legit gaming corporations, we'd see drastically lower prices across the board.

Bootlegging is selfish and it hurts everyone -- the corporations, and ESPECIALLY the consumers.

What'd you expect from starting this thread Lerath?

It's impossible to discern between the people who honestly don't pirate things and spout platitudes and diatribes about right and wrong and the people who don't necessarily pirate games but do illegally acquire one or two mp3 songs on occasion or a movie here and there. The latter group of folks think they fit in with the former crowd but in essence they are just hypocrites.

There will be people who openly profess to pirating games on this thread, but will be instantly jumped on by those who perch themselves on the proposed moral high ground.

Then there are those who disagree with piracy, but also disagree with the prices of which the video games industry is charging for their products. This dichotomy generates a sense of apathy about piracy. I'm not saying it's the same thing, but stealing a BMW because you think it's an overpriced, glorified Volkswagon is still wrong.

So what is this thread for, exactly?

Yeah... until you get caught. Or when you die and meet God - then you'll have to give him an account for why you stole all of those games :horror.

What'd you expect from starting this thread Lerath?

It's impossible to discern between the people who honestly don't pirate things and spout platitudes and diatribes about right and wrong and the people who don't necessarily pirate games but do illegally acquire one or two mp3 songs on occasion or a movie here and there. The latter group of folks think they fit in with the former crowd but in essence they are just hypocrites.

There will be people who openly profess to pirating games on this thread, but will be instantly jumped on by those who perch themselves on the proposed moral high ground.

Then there are those who disagree with piracy, but also disagree with the prices of which the video games industry is charging for their products. This dichotomy generates a sense of apathy about piracy. I'm not saying it's the same thing, but stealing a BMW because you think it's an overpriced, glorified Volkswagon is still wrong.

So what is this thread for, exactly?

Very well said. You majored in philosophy, didn't you? :lol

Back