Blitzway - 1/6 Scale Ghostbusters - Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blitzway - 1/6 Scale Ghostbusters - Collectible Figures and ECTO-1

I believe that he was the catalyst for a pivotal scene in the film as far as tone shift:

Following this scene, it seemed like the tone in the film shifted and got a bit more serious and not as humorous as the first half of the film when it focused more on the three scientists' eccentric individual personalities. Scenes like this made me want to add him to my collection.

Another key thing Winston does: he re-grounds the movie just as it needs it.

The guys have trapped Slimer. They are a big success. They have created genius, science fiction tech. They have proven that ghosts are real. They have moved far beyond the everyday human experience. The movie could easily go off the rails here. It could become a story about people enjoying fame and fortune, or it could be a movie that begins to face the huge questions raised by the existence of the paranormal. It could turn into a 'look at all these ghosts!' movie. It could become all about colourful lights and technology. It could move past the everyday and the human and it could lose its soul and its charm.

But nope, Winston shows up, and he is just an average guy doing a job, and he's not particularly impressed by anything, and he's just working hard and getting things done. He's learning how banal and blue collar all the tasks are. You put the trap in a thing, you pull some levers, you wait for a light to change, and the machine cleans the trap ... You do all this at the end of a long tired day as your work coveralls are filthy ... It brings everything back to the earthy realism that the film establishes in the first half and risks losing at that point. Winston puts the soul of the movie back in place. If it wasn't for him, the whole film would have a different feeling. It's key that he isn't a scientist, because at this point the audience needs a new emotional anchorpoint. We need a new POV character as our way into this now-unfamiliar world.

Of course, it kind of makes no sense that the now-famous Ghostbusters wouldn't have applicants banging at their door, but still. For the sake of the 'feel' of the movie and the world it establishes, it's vital that Ghosbusters has one thing about a third of the way through: an injection of Winston. Winston's us, getting to hang with Stanz, Spengler, and Venkman.

The guys have trapped Slimer. They are a big success. They have created genius, science fiction tech. They have proven that ghosts are real. They have moved far beyond the everyday human experience. The movie could easily go off the rails here. It could become a story about people enjoying fame and fortune, or it could be a movie that begins to face the huge questions raised by the existence of the paranormal. It could turn into a 'look at all these ghosts!' movie. It could become all about colourful lights and technology. It could move past the everyday and the human and it could lose its soul and its charm.

But nope, Winston shows up, and he is just an average guy doing a job, and he's not particularly impressed by anything, and he's just working hard and getting things done. He's learning how banal and blue collar all the tasks are. You put the trap in a thing, you pull some levers, you wait for a light to change, and the machine cleans the trap ... You do all this at the end of a long tired day as your work coveralls are filthy ... It brings everything back to the earthy realism that the film establishes in the first half and risks losing at that point. Winston puts the soul of the movie back in place. If it wasn't for him, the whole film would have a different feeling. It's key that he isn't a scientist, because at this point the audience needs a new emotional anchorpoint. We need a new POV character as our way into this now-unfamiliar world.

Of course, it kind of makes no sense that the now-famous Ghostbusters wouldn't have applicants banging at their door, but still. For the sake of the 'feel' of the movie and the world it establishes, it's vital that Ghosbusters has one thing about a third of the way through: an injection of Winston. Winston's us, getting to hang with Stanz, Spengler, and Venkman.

:goodpost:

I also always thought it was humorous that despite the GB fame, Winston was the only applicant. :lol

INDEED :)

Anyone planning on replacing Winston’s head with an Eddie Murphy head sculpt ?

Why would you do that?

I wouldn't do that, but apparently Eddie Murphy was supposed to be in GB at one point.

I would like to see a John Belushi head on Venkman.

Only if you can find one with a giant mischievous grin! It'd be kinda funny seeing him staring at you in a sea of sixth scale looking so out of place. :lol

The irony of Murphy as Winston is back when that was under consideration Winston was essentially going to be the star and hero of the film...the character was with them from the start and was so dominant that he overpowered the rest of the cast and had to be written down to a smaller role just to establish some sort of equity between the main characters...there would have been no Doctors 3 pack because they would not have released a pack without the "star" of the film.

Funny, until this thread I never considered that anyone would think less of Winston than the others. I actually always thought he was the most important one story wise due to the others over the top personalities. Egon is the over the top socially awkward scientist with no scense of humor. Ray is the obsessed childlike paranormal expert, Venkman is the comic relief, Winston was us. The everyman, the one who we the viewer could identify with in the crazy paranormal world of the Ghostbusters.
This post sums it up perfectly for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I had a friend meet Ernie Hudson yesterday at a Comic-Con. When he met him, he called me and Winston himself grabbed the phone and talked to my wife and I on the speaker phone in the car. What a great experience. Winston is now the family favorite.

I had a friend meet Ernie Hudson yesterday at a Comic-Con. When he met him, he called me and Winston himself grabbed the phone and talked to my wife and I on the speaker phone in the car. What a great experience. Winston is now the family favorite.
I met him a few months ago at a Con. Unfortunately my best friend couldn't make it as he was on vacation with his girlfriend, despite being a huge Ghostbusters fan.

Ernie let me send a video WhatsApp to my friend! He asked me what their names were and when I said Rob and Sheila, he literally said on the video "Hey Rob! What's up with going somewhere with Sheila and not coming to visit me?? Anyway man, keep on busting."

When I sent the video to my friend, he literally could not believe it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I met him a few months ago at a Con. Unfortunately my best friend couldn't make it as he was on vacation with his girlfriend, despite being a huge Ghostbusters fan.

Ernie let me send a video WhatsApp to my friend! He asked me what their names were and when I said Rob and Sheila, he literally said on the video "Hey Rob! What's up with going somewhere with Sheila and not coming to visit me?? Anyway man, keep on busting."

When I sent the video to my friend, he literally could not believe it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That’s very cool. What a classy guy.

Yeah, I've always read nothing but good things about Ernie. A very optimistic, sensible and nice guy. Despite feeling that his character got shafted in the films, he still tries to involve himself with anything GB related and mixes it up with GB fans.

I am hitting ebay up for some extra Mattel figures and a second smiling Eddie Murphy sculpt from Snyder-man to do a second squad of Ghostbusters. I have always thought it was a missed opportunity that there weren't sequels that focused on Venkman and crew selling Ghostbusters franchises in other cities. The obvious first choice would be Chicago. That squad could have featured Moranis as a relocated Tulley, with Murphy, John Candy and Jim Belushi rounding out that city's crew.

I'm still waiting on my Coming to America Highend Figures! Somebody get on it! LOL

I'm still waiting on my Coming to America Highend Figures! Somebody get on it! LOL

You need to get out more. There are customizers all over that.

No way. Please point me in the direction sir

Not sure, it may be in the custom section here or on one of the facebook groups. I was tipped off by the folks at Joy and Tom Studios. They originally did Eddie Murphy for Beverly Hills Cop figures, but told me more people are using them for Coming to America than Axel Foley.

Are we still in this holding pattern of zero information from BW?

Definitely keeping my order for these but blitzway would have to make something I want pretty bad to ever get another preorder from me.

Back